Babies: 6 - 9 Months

beating myself up bad... almost dropped DD!

DD is 8 months old and strong and energetic. I was playing with her last night and had her held up high and I almost dropped her. (cringe) UGH. I am such a flippin idiot.

I keep playing out the alternate version of the evening in my head, if I DID drop her. She would have fallen about 4 feet... ugh, ugh ugh. I was so upset, I couldn't even eat last night. I can imagine myself sitting in a ER with a hurt girl, hopefully it wouldn't have been too serious, I guess you can never know, and i am thankful that I didn't have to find out.

What scares me is that one day, my kids could (will?) get hurt, sick, injured, you name it. It is a part of life. All I know, is I will always worry about my family, hopefully I won't let it consume me! Also, hopefully it won't be at my hand! I love my baby more than anything in this world, i can't imagine being responsible for her pain.

Did any of you almost drop/injure your child? Have any of you actually dropped them? How serious was the fall/injury?

Re: beating myself up bad... almost dropped DD!

• First you DID NOT drop her so stop worrying yourself. I haven't dropped Dylan but I have put him on the couch and grabbed something from the next room and he fell. Screaming and all and guess what after a few minutes he was fine. Yes I felt bad but what could I do? I couldn't take it back so I just learn from my mistake. Plus he was not injured just scared and kids are resilient. Seriously them falling will be the least of our worries.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageanabell0920:
    First you DID NOT drop her so stop worrying yourself. I haven't dropped Dylan but I have put him on the couch and grabbed something from the next room and he fell. Screaming and all and guess what after a few minutes he was fine. Yes I felt bad but what could I do? I couldn't take it back so I just learn from my mistake. Plus he was not injured just scared and kids are resilient. Seriously them falling will be the least of our worries.

this. you didn't drop her. don't beat yourself up.

• Loading the player...
  • I found a screw on LO's playmate once. We have no idea why it was there (cat dragged it around house maybe?). I felt sick thinking about what could have happened. But, hey, it was a learning experience and I now know to check out his playmate every time he plays. Now you know to be more careful.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Agree with PP, youdidnt drop her that's what matters. Kids fall down, jump off things, get hurt ALL the time. Kids are tough
  • DS fell off the bed at 4 months.  I felt awful, DH felt awful...I was beating myself up about it for a bit, but it makes me super careful now!

You didn't drop her.  She is okay.  Save the worrying for something else.  :)   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Happy Birthday, little man. We love you so much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Search & Win
    My favorite money saving tip: I've earned more than $300 in gift cards (Amazon, Starbucks, Southwest!) using SwagBucks for internet searching - and you can too! It's FREE and EASY!
  • imageALICHICK17:

DD is 8 months old and strong and energetic. I was playing with her last night and had her held up high and I almost dropped her. (cringe) UGH. I am such a flippin idiot.

I keep playing out the alternate version of the evening in my head, if I DID drop her. She would have fallen about 4 feet... ugh, ugh ugh. I was so upset, I couldn't even eat last night. I can imagine myself sitting in a ER with a hurt girl, hopefully it wouldn't have been too serious, I guess you can never know, and i am thankful that I didn't have to find out.

What scares me is that one day, my kids could (will?) get hurt, sick, injured, you name it. It is a part of life. All I know, is I will always worry about my family, hopefully I won't let it consume me! Also, hopefully it won't be at my hand! I love my baby more than anything in this world, i can't imagine being responsible for her pain.

Did any of you almost drop/injure your child? Have any of you actually dropped them? How serious was the fall/injury?

I completely understand your fear. I dread the day my little boy will get hurt. I say that knowing 1.) I have a boy and they are crazy 2.) kids will get hurt. But in this situation you didn't drop her and you learned a lesson. She might just be too big and wiggly to put up in the air anymore. Relax your doing a good job momma.

• Agree with PP - don't beat yourself up.

I turned my head for 1 second last week and Charlie took a nose dive off the changing table (about 3 feet). He cried and cried, but I remained calm until I could calm in down. As soon as DH took him out of my arms to comfort him more I lost it. I cried all night and went to work the next day still crying. I was so embarassed that I had done the one thing everyone tells you not to do!

Luckily, Charlie was just fine. I think it scared him more than anything else. Just take it as a learning experience, but don't let it rule your life. Don't be afraid to do the fun stuff, just do it as safely as possible.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Welcome to motherhood Stick out tongue
    Effing crazy people.
  • Stop thinking of the 'what if's'....You didn't drop her! 

• Thanks everyone. I actually do feel better hearing from other moms.

Who ever said this was going to be easy, huh?

I just have to remind myself, we are only human, and I try to do the best I can. lesson learned!

• Poor momma, poor Charlie. I can only imagine how you felt. Glad he was ok!
  • Once, my step daughter accidentally unbuckled the seatbelt that holds the carseat base into the car. (She sits next to the car seat when she's in the car and instead of unbuckling her own belt, she unbuckled the base belt).  We didn't realize it and drove off (after dropping SD off)....we turned a corner and LO's car seat FELL OVER sideways on the seat.

I FLIPPED OUT and dove in the back seat, screaming at my husband to pull over.

LO was completely unhurt and in fact was cracking up laughing when we set the seat back upright.  We re-secured it and I sat in the back seat with her the whole rest of the way home, balling my eyes out.

Lesson learned, and now we check the buckles/seat EVERY time.

• I tipped over the bassinet two hours after bringing my son home from the hospital onto a hardwood floor.  He was just fine, but I cried like a baby the rest of the night.  He is 3 now and has had many knocks to his head (toddlers are so clumsy and accident prone!) and is no worse for the wear.  Kids are resilient, thank goodness.  I, too, though worry about future injuries or being the cause of the injuries.  I don't think there is a way to get away from the worrying, but try not to beat yourself up about incidents that didn't happen but could have.  It didn't happen!
  • When my DD was 2 weeks old, I handed her off to my DH so I could get some sleep at 2AM. The second I laid down I heard them tumbling down the stairs. Not only did he fall down the stairs, but he dropped her and she fell down on her own, landing on the vinyl covered concrete slab landing. We took her to the ER and found she had a skull fracture. Talk about beating yourself up. DH & I kept replaying it over and over. It was terrible. Turns out she's perfectly fine now, but I never want to experience anything like that ever again.
  • DD was about 4 months old when she fell off my bed one morning. It scared me SOOO much but she was fine. It just scared her (and me, of course). You're doing a great job so don't be so hard on yourself. Just keep taking good care of your little pumpkin and give her lots of hugs & kisses (cause when they're older, they won't let you!). Keep up the good work!

• I actually did drop my son. I was rocking him during his middle of the night feeding and we both fell asleep. My arm relaxed and he slid off my lap. I woke up when I heard him land on the floor. It startled him awake but I had him in my arms again before he could really start crying and back to sleep within minutes. I on the other hand was balling. I was so scared that something would be wrong and I was scared to tell my husband. My husband understood how tired I was and my son is perfectly fine. He didn't even get so much as a bruise.
  • The almosts will just get you a little prepared for the times the falls happen. My first son fell off the bed three times, I caught him with my thigh the third time, before he was 18 months old. At 19 months, he tripped over a chair at daycare and received a gash that required five stitches right below his lower lip. I cannot count how many times he has fallen and hit his head. He is now a perfectly healthy and unscarred nearly four year old. My ten month old son has rolled off the bed twice. Once when I was distracted by the older son and once because he made a sprinting crawl across the bed and I was not able to reach him in time. I have felt horrible after each event.

Part of motherhood is having those little day/night terrors about some horrible accident that could happen to your children. We all do the best we can and learn from each instance. You cannot prevent accidents from happening and can't really prevent yourself from worrying about them. Just try not to dwell on the what-ifs of it all. Infants are resilient and are relaxed enough that they don't tense up when they fall. It seems to help prevent too many serious injuries. Too bad mothers couldn't get a little of that back. Might make things a little easier navigating the hurdles of motherhood. Just give her a hug and enjoy the fun moments. It makes the ER trips easier!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"