1st Trimester

Anyone else NOT hungry?

I have absolutely no appetite. I'm practically forcing myself to eat and, even then, I take a few bites and can't stomach any more. I'm doing a good job of staying hydrated but food just sounds so "blah" to me.

Re: Anyone else NOT hungry?

• It was like that for me until recently. I only just started being able to stomach a lot of things I used to eat - and some stuff still seems gross to me.
  • Me! Food doesn't really make me sick, but I just don't want to eat.

It's a struggle to remind myself that I have to make meals so at least H can eat.

• Loading the player...
  • I am the complete opposite. I can NOT get full and everything sounds good to me. There are days that I will eat a large breakfast and 40 minutes to an hour later I am STARVING, like I haven't eaten in 2 days! And this will last aaaall day long, no matter what or how much I eat. It's awful!
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Perfectly normal! I wasn't really able to stomach anything until recently! Just try to eat SMALL portions and remind yourself it's not healthy to not eat bc you have a little one that needs the nutrition even if it is just a little or you eat and throw it up. i know it sounds gross but they baby will still be getting nutrients!!! Good luck! Hope you get to eat better soon!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Me!  I don't have much of an appetite and when I do, I'll eat but halfway through whatever it is I'm eating I feel like i'm going to puke.  I was hoping this would be over by now, but looks like it's here to stay for a little longer.
  • Starting last week, I would go through days of being starving all the time to now forcing myself to eat. I have no interest in food at the moment, which is not like me at all. I am not feeling sick at all, just not hungry. Most foods either smell bad or don't appeal to me. I hope this passes before all the great holiday dinners!
  • There is nothing that seems appetizing to me!  And if anything does, the minute I get my hands on it, I cannot force myself to eat it.  It's making me nuts.  I feel like the only things I can get down are chips and vanilla ice cream.  I keep forcing myself to eat a few healthier things as well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh, and I should mention that I'm also pretty bummed that this is happening during Thanksgiving LOL
  • DH's family actually does Thanksgiving the Sunday before, so we celebrated yesterday. Lima beans, mashed potatoes and cranberry (and a little bit of Turkey). It was honestly the most I've eaten in weeks! And it felt amazing. I think you just have to find those things that your body needs, but you're still not quite sure what that is. Does that make sense? I would have loved some yams, but his aunt didn't make them with marshmallows on top, so I refused to eat them. Haha!
  • I was like that for about a week and then it was like the gates of hell were opened and the hounds of hunger released. I haven't been this hungry since I was nursing my daughter. The funny thing was when I was pregnant with my daughter, I was never hungry.
  • imageMikes_Wife06:
    Oh, and I should mention that I'm also pretty bummed that this is happening during Thanksgiving LOL

That sucks!  Hope you can enjoy some Turkey Day goodies!

I'm not having food aversions yet, but with DS I had them throughout 1st tri.  I'd even get a craving for something and once I got what I wanted I'd be totally unable to stomach it.  My aversion to sweets disappeared just in time for all the Valentine's Day candy to hit the shelves though. :) 

• That's exactly how I am. I literally force myself to eat. I actually do get rather hungry, but once I start eating I lose my appetite. I remember being like this before.
  • Is your ticker right?  I wouldn't think things should be effecting your appetite at all, yet.

• Yes, it sucks!  I can't wait to get my appetite back.

girls photo zvczv.jpg

• I've been like that for the last 4 weeks now. And I can't stand cooking or grocery shopping. And it's like one day something tastes amazing and the next day I go to eat the same thing and end up gagging down half of it. I can't stomach anything sweet, it sends me to the bathroom within minutes. I'm hungry, but everything either tastes like cardboard or has way too much flavor so it's unbearable. LOL I hope it gets better soon, the poor hubby hasn't had a home cooked meal more than once a week since we found out we're expecting :)

XoXo
    Sarah

BFP#1 10/24/11 EDD 07/01/11 DD1 6/29/11
    BFP#2 07/26/12 EDD 03/21/13 M/C(mmc6wk)09/04/12 @~11w
    BFP#3 02/08/13 EDD 10/22/13 M/C(mmc6wk)03/11/13 @~8w
    BFP#4 06/05/13 EDD 02/19/14 DD2 02/05/14

• imagesamfish2bcrab:

Is your ticker right?  I wouldn't think things should be effecting your appetite at all, yet.

Not to speak for OP, but personally, my appetite was affected early on during my last pregnancy just as it is for this one.

• imagesamfish2bcrab:

Is your ticker right?  I wouldn't think things should be effecting your appetite at all, yet.

Yep, it's right. My lack of appetite may or may not be related to the pregnancy yet since otherwise I feel just fine. Either way, I'm still anything but hungy.

• I'm not hungry either, and it was suggested to me to drink V8. I also try to eat a cheese string or some medium cheese to get both protein and veggies. At least is I can't eat, I can usually drink, and so V8 is great for that. Good luck with Thanksgiving!
  • Yep. Not at all naseaus, just ... not hungry. SOOO different from pg1 where all I could do was eat all day!!!! So weird!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageabsoluteremix:
    I am the complete opposite. I can NOT get full and everything sounds good to me. There are days that I will eat a large breakfast and 40 minutes to an hour later I am STARVING, like I haven't eaten in 2 days! And this will last aaaall day long, no matter what or how much I eat. It's awful!

I wish this was me.  :'(

• It was the same way for me during my first trimester. I kept worrying that maybe the baby wasn't getting enough nutrition but all I felt like eating were crackers, fries and drinking ginger ale. Appetite kicked in with a vengeance at the end of my first trimester and continued throughout my second. Then I started eating all kinds of different foods.Now in my third my appetite has curbed and I just eat regular portions and smaller meals through the day. Hope that helps you and your food "blahs " go away soon.
  • Almost as soon as I found out, at about 4 weeks, I lost my appetite.  I love to eat, so this is weird.  When I eat, I definitely go to salty foods rather than sweeter things.  I hardly ever throw out food, but leftovers are not appealing to me lately...I hate wasting.  I guess leftovers don't have as much nutrition as fresh food, so it's probably not a total loss.  I'm about 6 weeks now, and I just started getting morning sickness.  I haven't thrown up yet, but I feel horrible in the mornings.  I've turned to just snacking all day on fruit, granola bars, and crackers to keep my stomach settled.  I usually feel much better by dinner, but I can't handle large portions.  Last night I had heartburn for the first time since being pregnant.  I cannot wait until food looks good again! 
  • That's totally normal.  I wasn't hungry for my entire 1st trimester - I lost 15 lbs - but my baby's doing great and the weight is finally coming back on.
  • It's so funny that this post should be bumped today. I just made my lunch...and now I totally don't want it. Apparantly, my appetite still hasn't returned. I was constantly hungry with my last pregnancy so this is all new to me.
  • I'm 19 weeks and finding that I'm still not particularly hungry.  Staying strict to those vitamins is crucial!  It does help to eat many small meals through the day instead of trying to finish a full (even half) plate of food.  Snack Snack Snack! on healthy things - carrots broccoli, grapes with cheese, apple, banana...  and maybe a protein/nutrition/granola bar with whole grains and raisins.  Anything to help baby grow and keep you nourished. Good luck!
  • Oh me too!! Just going into the kitchen makes me feel sick and nothing sounds good to eat. I'm finding that if I do eat a little that I feel better - like a cup of yogurt or a bowl of cereal or a good ol' PB&J. Just trying to keep my blood sugar stable so I don't feel too sick. It's helping. 

With my previous pregnancies I've had a lot of crazy things happen with my appetite. I went for weeks and never felt hungry then I would go for weeks when I never felt full and was hungry ALL OF THE TIME. Pregnancy is so crazy! 

• I wasn't hungry at all the first and part of the second trimester - trust me, you'll get your appetite back! (and then some) don't worry about it too much right now. As long as you take your vitamins and you're not starving yourself, you're not starving baby. Just make sure those few things you do eat are healthy, and don't force yourself to eat because you'll just feel like crap.
  • I'm starving most of the time, but nothing ever sounds good, and if something does sound good, I feel sick from eating it anyway! :(  I so miss those days when I had a good relationship with food! lol  Hoping I can return to that when the first trimester is over.

Jess & Adam, married 2009, precious Audrey born in 2011. BFP 1/6/13, 6-wk MMC discovered at 9 wks 2/11/13. D&C 2/18/13, second D&C 4/23/13 for retained placenta.
    BFP 8/24/13!! EDD 5/1/14, delivered healthy and sweet Zoey Leanne on 5/5/14 by repeat c-section.
  • I am not hungry either.  I have actually lost 8 pounds but DR says that is okay.  We went out to eat last night and I could only eat about half of what I had ordered. 
  • I was definetly like that in the first trimester, especially at dinner time.  And still like that some days.  I would need to make myself have a chocolate milk just to get some nutrients on some days.
  • Ugh - totally! I can't even look at food for the first couple hours in the morning and before bed. My poor husband usually has to put away the leftovers for me because I can't go near them. I can't wait to enjoy food again!
  • i am the same way!! i start out feeling good, but as soon as I start to eat that feeling goes away immediately and i feel awful for the next 2 hours. :(
  • Everyone gets onto me about not eating enough..i am honestly NEVER hungry. And when i am, its such a pain in the butt to figure out what i want to eat... i know exactly what you mean! I also get full really fast.

I know 2 new babies named Abigail Grace!! Such a beautiful name! :-) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"