Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Bottled vs.Tap water for making bottles (formula)

Curious as to what others are using...I've been using bottled but a friend of mine said I should be using tap b/c of the flouride, another friend said her Ped advised to use bottled or something similar, that tap could upset baby's stomach. (both of these ladies just had babies by the way). SO, needless to say I'm a little confused...
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Bottled vs.Tap water for making bottles (formula)

• i use bottled. but i also grew up in a town that had "cancer water"... illegal dumping, increased cancer rates, testing, settlement, etc.... yeah i dont drink tap water often lol
  • We use bottled or filtered.  But the water here in our area sucks a$$. 
    BabyModel$$ Pictures, Images and Photos Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We use a britia and filter our water.  I have read the reports on our local water--easy enough to find online and a charcoal filter is sufficient.  Be careful with bottled water.  I took an entire college course on environmental science.  A lot of the plastic has hormone mimics and other chemicals that leach into the water over time or through heat (which could have happened on the delivery truck).
  • We use bottled. I figure if I won't drink tap water, I shouldn't have LO drink it either.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We now use bottled after trying everything we could think of to cure DS's tummy aches. He's doing so much better now, but it's hard to say if this made a difference or the new formula we switched to, since we did both around the same time.

Either way, if you can afford it it doesn't hurt to try if you're having issues like we were. Otherwise, I'd imagine a simple filter like a Brita pitcher would suffice. 

I fight the good fight, and I fight to WIN!

Follow me as I fight the fat!

image image
  • I was told not to give my baby tap water until she turns 1 year old. you dont know what bacteria are in the water. I hope you would boil it first. I use distilled water for my daughter cause everything else constipates her.
  • imagepiglet6609:
    i use bottled. but i also grew up in a town that had "cancer water"... illegal dumping, increased cancer rates, testing, settlement, etc.... yeah i dont drink tap water often lol

I also grew up in a town with "cancer water" (the town where the movie, "A Civil Action" took place) and I have my undergrad in Environmental Studies and a Masters in Environmental Policy. Despite that, we give our babies tap water. The EPA and other agencies regulate what goes into our drinking water and what chemicals are in it. On the other hand, bottled water is completely unregulated and there is no evidence to show that it is any cleaner than tap water....in some cases, it may be worse.

• imagebananabelle:
    It probably completely depends on where you live. We have delicious clean water where I live and the hospital specifically told us the baby can drink the water. But in nearby rural areas where they have well water or something else, I think they recommend filtering. I would never use bottled water ever because of the chemicals in the plastics, and the fact that most bottled water is just tap water anyway.

WOW! I've never seen anyone from Memphis on TB! We're in the Germantown/Colleriville area. I agree our water here is great, but for some reason I still use Nursery Water for LO. 

• Our tap water is disgusting, even our cats ge bottled water - we use the Nursery water for DS.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagekafunder:

imagepiglet6609:
    i use bottled. but i also grew up in a town that had "cancer water"... illegal dumping, increased cancer rates, testing, settlement, etc.... yeah i dont drink tap water often lol

I also grew up in a town with "cancer water" (the town where the movie, "A Civil Action" took place) and I have my undergrad in Environmental Studies and a Masters in Environmental Policy. Despite that, we give our babies tap water. The EPA and other agencies regulate what goes into our drinking water and what chemicals are in it. On the other hand, bottled water is completely unregulated and there is no evidence to show that it is any cleaner than tap water....in some cases, it may be worse.

Hi Neighbor! 

Anyways, I use filtered tap water instead of bottled.  The platic freaks me out and I also heard that in many (not all, obviously) tap water is actually safer because it is regulated the EPA which has strict guidelines, whereas the FDA, who regulates bottled water, is not as prudent. 

• My brother works in the lab at the waste water treatment plant for a large Chicago suburb.  They ran tests on bottled water to see how it compared and it was way dirtier (bacteria, metals, etc) than the tap.  As long as you are on a municipal supply, the water is tested daily and has to meet strict guidelines or they'll issue a boil order.  As long as your baby is healthy, tap water is just fine.  Ask you pediatrician. 
  • I read in one book (don't remember which one, may have been "What to expect..."), that you can use bottled or tap, but not to used the bottled water that is distilled. I don't know what the difference is, though.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"