Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

bad diaper rash w/bleeding

She was sick last weekend and got a diaper rash. It's been off and on all week. It's all bright red down there right now, crying when I use a wipe on it or put diaper cream on it. It was bleeding a tiny bit in one little spot.

Any suggestions??? Will bathtime tonight hurt her or feel good?

Charlotte Elizabeth - March 15, 2009
Natalie Kate - October 4, 2011
Blighted ovum, d&c at 9w, July 2012
Blighted ovum, d&c at 10w, September 2013
BFP May 28, EDD February 4, 2015

Re: bad diaper rash w/bleeding

• Stop using the wipes, they burn.

Use some colloidal oatmeal (Aveeno makes it)  in her bath tonight, we use it when DS has a bad rash and it really helps to soothe it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ugh, I hate this. We've had this a few times, and it's always when she's sick or teething because her poo is runnier and more acidic.

Do you have any Aveeno soothing bath powder? It's basically ground up oatmeal and will make the bath easier for her and will help protect her skin.

The other thing that really makes a difference is to make sure she is 100% dry before you put a diaper back on or use any rash cream. We let DD run around with no diaper after her bath for about a half hour to make sure she's beyond dry. Air time = healing time.

I know everyone claims to have a magic formula when it comes to rash cream, so take this for what it's worth, but the most effective barrier treatment we've used is vegetable Crisco. Rec'd to us by the nurse at our pedi's office who said they use it in the NICU. Lo and behold, it works.

Pregnancy Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah we figured out the wipe thing this last time, but there was too much poop everywhere to run and get water and papertowels or whatever. The poop needed to be controlled. Thanks for the other suggestion, I'll get some!
  • Oh yeah, and no wipes! Water on a soft cloth only.
  • I put on a barrier of vaseline this time. I'm hoping that might help.

I found a "recipe" of homemade oatmeal bath that we'll try. It tells you how to test the colloidal properties in it before use. And no more wipes!

• imagejen_and_scott:

I put on a barrier of vaseline this time. I'm hoping that might help.

I found a "recipe" of homemade oatmeal bath that we'll try. It tells you how to test the colloidal properties in it before use. And no more wipes!

Haha, sorry - I had added my .02 about wipes before I saw your response to the pp. :)

• We don't cloth diaper, so can you tell me how I'd wash the washcloths to sanitize them? Regular wash cycle or do I need something special?
  • imagejen_and_scott:
    We don't cloth diaper, so can you tell me how I'd wash the washcloths to sanitize them? Regular wash cycle or do I need something special?

Regular wash cycle.

• Poor baby :-(  DD has had that a couple of times (she has really sensitive skin).

First, as others said, baby wipes have alcohol, so they really, really hurt.  Either use just a warm, wet washcloth, or -- what I do -- is use wipes with witch hazel.  They're made by Preparation H and intended for hemmeriods, but they're the size of regular wipes.  They're just like the Tucks pads you probably used after you gave birth.

Second, load up on the cream -- put it on like frosting on a cake.  What I use for bad diaper rash is Lotrimin AF (yes, for athletes foot or jock itch) mixed half and half with Cortaid.  Make sure it's the AF -- it's anti-fungal.  She probably has fungus down there, which is causing the bad rash.

Finally, give her naked time if you can.

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Apparently the doll needed a time out... image
  • When I have patients that are bleeding, I usually will write an Rx for oral antifungals (Fluconazole / Diflucan), but in the meantime, use OTC Lotrimin cream (clotrimazole) mixed with 1% hydrocortisone cream (also OTC) and apply 2x day. On top of that, use a barrier with Zinc Oxide (Triple Paste, etc) or Aquaphor, and also apply the barrier with each diaper change. As PP mentions, NO baby wipes...just a wash cloth with warm water and gentle cleanser like Cetaphil or CeraVe. If it's not better in a few days, get an Rx from your pedi!
    Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Use water only to clean with a cotton cloth. (TRS/BRU sells dry cotton wipes, that are perfect for when this happens). Neosporin 2x a day and slather with Triple Cream.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"