Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

If you have a boy

Are you or will you get them a play kitchen? My husband says absolutely not, but I see alot of girls on here getting them for their sons.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: If you have a boy

• I will, but I don't think until his second birthday.  I don't think he'd really enjoy it *as much* right now.

And nofuckingcomment on your DH's stance.

• Loading the player...
  • We are.  DH had no problem with it.  DS loves to help me in the kitchen so it's perfect for him.  He could be the next Gordon Ramsey!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If I see one for a good price I will.
    imageimage

• I am not against it, I just don't want to get anymore large toys right now.

They also have a grill which your DH may like a bit more... or there is a deluxe kitchen I saw by Little Tykes that had a grill on it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yup. B turns 1 next Tuesday and we bought him a play kitchen. He loves getting into our cupboards in the kicthen.. I don't see anything wrong with it.
  • Yes, I am.  DS loves the one at daycare, and he's always pretending to cook us something.  My DH and his brothers all cook a lot, so he sees really balanced gender participation in the kitchen, and I don't see any reason not to encourage that.
  • My husband is the same. He says no way. It doesn't matter how many reasons I give him.

So we settled and got him a play tool bench instead. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yep, we totally were.

& then I saw a play grill that is super-cute & most importantly, takes up less space.

So he's getting a grill.

• We actually already purchased it.  He was playing with one like crazy at my MIL's so we decided to get it for him.
  • I'm not right now just because of space issues.

But I might next Xmas. I'm not against them for boys at all.

• My DS has one and he loves it. He loves opening and closing the doors and putting his cars in the fridge. I think it is strange that people think kitchens are only for girls. I know a lot men who a great cooks. I want to teach my boy to be a good husband someday
  • I would get a play kitchen for DS, but all the ones I saw that I liked were more then I care to spend right now. I did get him the Fisher Price Laugh & Learn Tea Set which is pink and purple.  DH might raise his eyebrows at first to it, but in the end I don't think he'll really care. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I'm not but it has nothing to do with gender.  I don't think DS would be that interested and we certainly don't have anywhere to put it lol.  Maybe next year!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We're picking ours up on Sunday.  DS loves to play with his cousin's play kitchen, and there's nothing wrong with a man in the kitchen.  If he wants to play cook then he can be my little guest.

:-)

• imageladysingstheblues:

I will, but I don't think until his second birthday.  I don't think he'd really enjoy it *as much* right now.

And nofuckingcomment on your DH's stance.

Ditto.
  • If I find one we like. He LOVES the ones at daycare. They even commented that his favorite thing is to open and close the fridge. At first my H said he would like him to have a workbench so he can be like Dad, but none of the toolbenches I have seen have cabinets that open and close and that's my guy's fave part.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
  • Iam not against them either.  My husband is.  But we also have no space.

What grill are you girls getting..that's a great idea!

• I might if I can find one for a good price. DH is the cook in the house, not me, and trust me he is very masculine so I'm not worried about that aspect.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We aren't because they take up a lot of room, and I don't think DS is ready for one yet.  Maybe next year.  We're also getting him the grill instead. 
  • Our son got one when he was 18 months. It's a Step 2 and very gender neutral. I don't see anything wrong with boys playing with a kitchen. Lots of male chefs out there!
    Robin - CO Mod * RP & JHutch Lover * Hufflepuff
    <><
    Tizzle 10/07 ~ Boppy 7/09 ~ Chicken 1/12
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Books read in 2013: ~ Audiobooks listened to in 2013: 3
    Currently reading: The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon
    Currently listening to: The Dark Divine by Bree Despain
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Robin (jason&robin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf) image
  • Absolutely! DS watches Food Network a lot and loves to get in our cabinets and pull out pots and pans.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageCTJourney:
    I would get a play kitchen for DS, but all the ones I saw that I liked were more then I care to spend right now. I did get him the Fisher Price Laugh & Learn Tea Set which is pink and purple.  DH might raise his eyebrows at first to it, but in the end I don't think he'll really care. 

I love that tea set!  I might get it for my DS, too.  He loves pretending to pour and drink from cups.

I would get DS a play kitchen if we had somewhere to put it.  I have also thought about getting him a doll, because he likes to pretend to feed and wash his stuffed animals. 

DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • We are getting the boys the Little Tikes wooden Deluxe Kitchen and Laundry Center. We were on the fence about it until we saw how much DS#1 loves the one at daycare and had a blast playing with one at a friends house.
  • We are making him one, yes.

Why, pray tell, does your DH say "absolutely not"?

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers image
  • We got him the Fisher Price Laugh and Learn kitchen for Christmas.  It's not a big kitchen like the ones people buy around here but our house is seriously tiny

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
  • Check out the Step 2 50's Diner.  It's pretty gender neutral.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • We already had one from DD. DS loves to play with it. And he plays with her hairdresser station too. Big Smile
  • imageSage Mommy:
    We already had one from DD. DS loves to play with it. And he plays with her hairdresser station too. Big Smile

Oh noes, you know what will happen to him if he plays with the hair salon? Confused

• If my DH said "absolutely not" about something so lame as to whether our kid could have a particular toy I think I would just laugh in his face. Then I would buy it.
  • First off the top chefs of the world are men so I don't see why any guy would have an issue with their sons playing kitchen. And yes we have one. We got it for DS1 a few years ago.
  • imageChrysallys:

imageSage Mommy:
    We already had one from DD. DS loves to play with it. And he plays with her hairdresser station too. Big Smile

Oh noes, you know what will happen to him if he plays with the hair salon? Confused

I don't. We should ask Willow Palin!

Um, yeah. The Bump be too crazy for pics of my kid.
  • No, but because there is zero room for it.  We might get a small one or the grill in the TRU toy book.  We'll see how Christmas shakes out.
    photo db44578a-7b8c-4755-ad7b-b5de3ca46717.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• DH wants to get him a tool bench instead.  Which we aren't buying for awhile, maybe next year.  If he wants to play in the kitchen, we have a real one he can use.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • i have a play kitchen and my son likes it as much as my DD.  weird that its seen as a "girl" toy...does your DH not put things in the fridge? Or dishes in the sink?  Does he not put toast in the toaster? That is all you do with a play kitchen. 

• imagemadameladauphine:
    DH wants to get him a tool bench instead.  Which we aren't buying for awhile, maybe next year.  If he wants to play in the kitchen, we have a real one he can use.

I am just trying to picture him playing in your actual kitchen... the mental picture is not pretty, haha.

• No, but not because my husband is sexist (he's not).  I don't feel like buying another big thing that just sits and collects dust.
  • imageheatherlane:
    imageChrysallys:

imageSage Mommy:

I don't. We should ask Willow Palin!

Bwahahaha! Yes

• I'm not, but not because he is a boy, but rather because we don't have room.  He plays with the kitchen at Daycare and at my SILs and we have no problem with it.

It isn't going to "turn" him. Confused

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"