Babies: 9 - 12 Months

11 months old and still on purees? Anyone else?

We've been trying to wean my 11 month old to all tablefood, but she's not doing very well with the concept. She seems to be a bit tired of purees and she loves having bites of my food, but every time we've tried to feed her a meal of all table food, she eats 2-3 bites and then either plays with the rest or starts fussing to get down. I get nervous that she isn't eating enough (she still gets 16-20 ounces of formula a day) and so I end up giving her a jar of purees at least 1-2 times a day.

Anyone else facing this issue? Any suggestions?

BTW, my daughter only has 2 teeth and so I think this may contribute to her issue. I know that they should be able to eat without teeth, but I wonder if, because I didn't do BLW, if she hasn't truly figured out how to mash with her gums.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: 11 months old and still on purees? Anyone else?

• yep, were in the same boat, there is only a hand full of table food items I can get LO to eat. he has his two bottom front teeth then his top four are all working there way down now...so maybe once those are in it will be easier for him...IDK
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Aiden does the same with table foods, he'll take a few bites and then start throwing the rest of the food on the floor because he can't eat it fast enough i think.  I give him purees so he's still getting nutrition in him.  He does well with: goldfish, chicken, cheese, bananas, and pears...we'll keep trying to expand that menu.  He also only has bottom teeth.

• Loading the player...
  • DD is still eating purees. She eats some table foods but nowhere near as much as what I see others saying their LOs eat. I try to introduce new foods every now and then, but right now we're comfortable with purees.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
  • I have been giving my little guy a combination of both. Usually table food for dinner with some fruit puree.

IAmPregnant Ticker

• I still send a pureed fruit and pureed veggie to daycare for DS, even though I also send table food for breakfast and lunch. He still eats the whole container and it's a good way to get his fruits/veggies in, since he's not too keen on eating those as table food yet. He's more into the carbs/"meats" (waffles, pancakes, grilled cheese, pasta, veggie burger patties, etc.) He's also getting 24oz of formula a day and I don't see that letting up anytime soon either. He just likes to eat!

I've been sending veggies as table food to daycare more recently, as well as offering them with dinner at home. His daily report sheet always says "Only had a few bites of carrots" or "Didn't touch the broccoli!" Once he starts eating more veggies on his own, we'll wean off the purees. Could you try something like that?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageMrs.Keith2B:

I still send a pureed fruit and pureed veggie to daycare for DS, even though I also send table food for breakfast and lunch. He still eats the whole container and it's a good way to get his fruits/veggies in, since he's not too keen on eating those as table food yet. He's more into the carbs/"meats" (waffles, pancakes, grilled cheese, pasta, veggie burger patties, etc.) He's also getting 24oz of formula a day and I don't see that letting up anytime soon either. He just likes to eat!

I've been sending veggies as table food to daycare more recently, as well as offering them with dinner at home. His daily report sheet always says "Only had a few bites of carrots" or "Didn't touch the broccoli!" Once he starts eating more veggies on his own, we'll wean off the purees. Could you try something like that?

Yeah, I'm not opposed to the purees, but my husband is being a butt and gives me a hard time when I buy more baby food at the grocery store. He really wants her to be off all purees and I'm frustrated because he's not stopping to see that she's not 100% ready for table food. I guess I'll just have to tell him to suck it up and give her some time, lol!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • It's a mixture of both for us here. For lunch today, for example, I sent 2 turkey meatballs and a banana, but also a container of applesauce.
  • I understand. Mine will eat some table food, but if he doesn't eat much, then I'll feed him a Stage 3 jar to make sure he's getting something substantial in his belly.
  • I'm with you--she eats table foods but she plays so much with it that sometimes I feel like I need to give her a jar of puree so make sure she's getting the nutrition she needs.  I'm not too worried about it, I think they just get distracted. 
  • I plan every meal so that she has something to feed herself and something that I feed her (usually a puree or yogurt).  She needs to learn to feed herself, but half the food misses her mouth.  So, I like the purees to make sure she's getting enough to eat.
  • Yes. Mine would eat table food instead but only has two teeth.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"