Trying to Get Pregnant

6mm cyst on right ovary

I just got back from my vaginal ultrasound. The tech said everything looked normal in my uterus and my left ovary. In fact she could tell I ovulated from my left ovary this month!

But, I have a 6 mm cyst on my right ovary. My doc is out today so the tech took the images she needed and will wait til my doc gets back tomorrow to review them and call me with a game plan.  I asked her if it was large - she said "yes, most of the time they are smaller than that." I asked her if it was cancerous and she said "she didn't think it looked cancerous." But really, how would she know that?

Anyway, I am new to all this and know nothing about it. I'm obviously a little worried. Any insight would be much appreciate!

Re: 6mm cyst on right ovary

• Well the good news is you ovulate and your uterus looked good.  After finding out a game plan tomorrow, you'll probably feel more relieved.  Having some kind of control is what makes us feel a little better.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby #5 due 12.31.15

• Cancerous cysts look different than regular follicular cysts. I wouldn't worry too much, cysts are really common.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I have had experience with multiple types of cysts. I had a dermoid cyst removed from my right ovary in 2009. It was 7cm. I also have a cyst on my left over that is 2cm. They didn't remove that b/c they didn't want to scar both ovaries. 6mm is very small .... did you mean 6cm?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Cancerous masses present pretty typically and the tech should know a benign cyst when she sees one. Keep us posted!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I've been through this before. I've had a VU and a very large cyst too. They usually can tell if its cancerous if its fluid filled and not a "mass". Also its very very rare to have ovarian cancer when you're in your 20s & 30s. I would not be worried. Cysts are very common, I had mine removed through a lap surgery. Hope this helps!
    Due in January image imageimage
  • imagered1976:

I have had experience with multiple types of cysts. I had a dermoid cyst removed from my right ovary in 2009. It was 7cm. I also have a cyst on my left over that is 2cm. They didn't remove that b/c they didn't want to scar both ovaries. 6mm is very small .... did you mean 6cm?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Cancerous masses present pretty typically and the tech should know a benign cyst when she sees one. Keep us posted!

Just noticed that, 6 mm is super small and completely normal :-)  We all have follicles about that size all the time, then one gets bigger and bursts when we ovulate, the rest just go away.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm also wondering if maybe you meant 6cm?  I had a 7cm dermoid cyst removed from my right ovary in '07 - the surgery wasn't a big deal and doesn't appear to have impacted my fertility.  I O'ed from my left side the month I conceived DS and found out from my OB that it's possible, if one ovary is damages, for the healthier ovary to pick up the slack and ovulate every month (they can do that - which I only discovered AFTER my surgery and after doing a lot of unnecessary worrying about what the cyst would do to my fertility!). 

I also agree with PP about it being pretty apparent whether a cyst is cancerous or benign - even when it's a solid mass like a dermoid.  The tech probably isn't allowed to be too decisive with you in case she's wrong, but I'd be inclined to assume it's benign until you learn more.

In short, while it's a PITA to have a cyst like yours (whether it's 6cm or even 6mm), and definitely scary when anything is wrong, try not to worry too much about any long-term effects.

ETA: edited for clarity.

• Thanks everyone! I really appreciate hearing your experiences and expertise.

• I just reread this (while not at work trying to sneak a peek). I thought she said 6mm. But she also said it was large, so that wouldn't make sense. Sounds like I should just wait for my doc to call tomorrow. Thanks for all the help!

• I had a 4cm on my right ovary in September and went back a few weeks later in October and it was gone.  If it was a clear black ball on the ultrasound that means it was most likely a simple cyst that will absorb back into your body over time.  Best of luck!
    IMG_6388
    Kylie 10/21/08
    Twin Ectopic - lost left tube 12/29/10
    Surprise BFP EDD 8/21/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"