Parenting

how long does it take for a virus to run its course?

DD has a low fever <101, sore throat and has just been exhausted and miserable since friday. It's moving into her nose but she doesn't seem worse just not better (so I'm thinking not strep?). She's rarely been sick (she's only ever had mild colds) and when she is I see improvement quickly. I'm thinking it's just a virus or cold that we need to let run its course? Is that what it sounds like to you? Is it time to take her to pedi since it's been 3 full days and we aren't seeing improvement or are they just going to tell me to wait it out?

She also got the flu-mist on Wednesday so I'm wondering if she got the flu from that? Angry

Re: how long does it take for a virus to run its course?

• This sounds just like what Giada has and after 10 days we took her to the pedi and she said it is just a virus and it has to run its course. She also did a strep test on her and it came up negative in the office on Saturday. She said to run her cool mist humidifier and give her motrin for her fever which was between 100-102. Sunday morning we got a call from her pedi saying the culture came back + for strep and was calling in amoxicillin 400 mg for her. Today she seems like a whole new person after 3 days of not eating and barely drinking because her throat hurt her. I would take her to the pedi so they could do a culture because you never know. GL
  • damn, it can last that long? Her b-day party is Saturday. Think I'll take her in.
  • Loading the player...
  • DS got that when he had the flu mist. It lasted a fair amount of time. That's why he will be getting the flu shot this year.
    AKA KnittyB*tch
    DS - December 2006
    DD - December 2008

imageimage
  • imageAnnapolisLari:
    DS got that when he had the flu mist. It lasted a fair amount of time. That's why he will be getting the flu shot this year.

UGH! I'm really wondering because none of us seem to be getting sick too and from what I read about the flu-mist, it can give the recipient (albeit rarely) some mild flu-like symptoms but she wouldn't be contagious. Dang! I should have followed my instincts and not given her the vax until AFTER her b-day.

• Knock on wood...none of us (including a 10 day old baby) did not get anything from the strep that Giada has. Just to be safe take her in. If it is strep her pedi said she is not contagious after 24 hours of being on the amoxicillin and today (24 hours on it) she is eating and drinking and looks better.
  • Last time Amarah was sick in August it took about five or six days. She had a fever of 103 consistently, lethargic, chills, no appetite and I took her in and they said there was nothing to do but let it run its course. It was very frustrating b/c it sucks seeing them sick. I just pumped her full of ibuprofen and liquids and let her rest. Hope she feels better soon!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"