Breastfeeding

slow-flow nipple for those who rarely give bottles?

i am trying to find a slow flow nipple that works well for breastfed babies. the ones that came with my medela pump are way too fast and she starts to gag and choke. we've only tried a bottle twice because she is going to stay with my mom when we go to a dinner in a week and i want to make sure she can handle it before then.

have you had success with any particular brand?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: slow-flow nipple for those who rarely give bottles?

• We use Dr. Browns with stage 1 nipple, still at 7 months. She does fine with these and goes back and forth from BF to bottles at DC with no prob.

our LC rec Dr. Browns and Breastflow as two of the slower bottles for BF babies.

• We used dr. browns with my first child, but he was supplemented and never had truoble taking a bottle.

LO #2 is a different story.  I am finding that platex nurser slow flow brown nipple is the only one she will take.  I have to throw out all my good bottles now....ugh!

I really believe the baby picks the bottle.  My friends told me to try born free, but honestly I htink the nipples are like drs brown which she wont take.

• Loading the player...
  • We use Playtex Dropins slow flow and have no problems.  I've heard a few people say the Medela is too fast.  It's also not a wide nipple so it's not good for breastfeeding babies for that reason either.
  • We had the baby on Dr. Brown's at my LC's suggestion -- it has a narrow nipple though, and she could finish 2 ounces in about 3 minutes. We switched to born free wide nipple and it seemed to match both my breast and my flow rate. I've noticed her latch has improved (on my right breast -- she always wants to have a shallower latch on the right for some reason) since the switch.

So I recommend born free. 

• We use Green to Grow bottles (wide mouth) and he does just fine so far!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We use breastflow.  I think Dr. Brown's makes a premie nipple, so that might be something to look into too.
  • we use the playtex drop ins slow flow nipple.  i agree, the medela slow flow nipple is not slow at all!
  • We use Nuk orthodontic stage 1 slow flow when we give bottles since that's what the NICU used and reccommended.

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"