Breastfeeding

BM goes bad in 3-4 days?!

I've always heard that BM is good in the fridge for 8 days after pumping.  I'm discovering mine starts smelling spoiled after just 3 or 4 days!  The fridge temp is on the cool side, I'm keeping it toward the back of the fridge... what else could I be doing wrong?  I'm throwing away so much  milk, it's upsetting!

Thanks!

~Annie Marie~
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
natural m/c 3.28.08, image
My Blog

Re: BM goes bad in 3-4 days?!

• I've always heard the 3-3-3 rule.  3 hours at room temperature, 3 days in the fridge, 3 months in the freezer.  6 months in the deep freeze, but that does sound as cool.  Our fridge is set at 34 degrees and I keep it near the middle of the top shelf.  I've never had it go bad, but then again I use it within 3 days.
  • Kellymom says 8 days, though I've always used it before that.  Could it be lipase?
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Could it also be the bag it is in? For some reason the Medela storage bags smell funny to me
  • imageerica_kaspar:
    Could it also be the bag it is in? For some reason the Medela storage bags smell funny to me

I've been using the medela bottles...  but it smells spoiled to me.  Guess I need to limit it to 3 days of storage.

~Annie Marie~
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    natural m/c 3.28.08, image
    My Blog
  • imageerica_kaspar:
    Could it also be the bag it is in? For some reason the Medela storage bags smell funny to me

this.  I ended up throwing out milk because of this.  Also, I had read 48 hours in the fridge, but did not hear 8 days until being on here.  I know kellymom says that too.  I would just freeze it and if you need milk go to your older freezer milk.  Just a thought.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • kellymom also says it's good on the counter for 10 hrs, and I don't trust that either. Who knows what temp your counter is at! It's like the idiots at restaurants in the summer who insist red wine should be served at "room temperature" when it's 80 degrees out. Yes, room temperature in the mountains in France, perhaps!

48 hours in the fridge, longer if you freeze it. And only 3-4 hours on the counter -- and shorter if it's hot out!

• I'm guessing you have high lipase.  If you need to keep your milk longer than 3 days, put it on the stove and heat it until it barely starts bubbling.  Do this soon after pumping it and it will slow down the lipase.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagesquishles10:
    I've always heard the 3-3-3 rule.  3 hours at room temperature, 3 days in the fridge, 3 months in the freezer.  6 months in the deep freeze, but that does sound as cool.  Our fridge is set at 34 degrees and I keep it near the middle of the top shelf.  I've never had it go bad, but then again I use it within 3 days.

The LC at my hospital said 4-4-4, but in either case 3-4 days seems normal to me.  If I am not going to use it in 3 days I freeze it.

• I find the times quoted on kellymom are too long for my milk. After about 4 days in the fridge or 6-7 hours out my milk is soapy tasting (lipase) and DS won't drink it. It doesn't smell bad though. I try to freeze on the 3rd day at the latest. 
  • Has kelly mom changed recently? I swear it used to be no more than 8 hours on a counter.

Anyways I do 5-5-5.

• I always heard eight hours at room temperature, five days in the fridge, and three - six months in the freezer.
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"