Babies: 6 - 9 Months

DS chokes on everything then throws up.

I've been trying sort of a BLW approach because all we have been doing is jarred or homemade purees. He has tiny tiny carrots, and when he puts one in his mouth it gets to the back of his throat and he gags, and throws up his whole bottle, meal, everything.

He can eat graham crackers, if I help him mush them before he eats them. He can't handle ANYTHING more solid than purees. What am I doing wrong? I need some help with this, his gag reflex is terrible.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: DS chokes on everything then throws up.

• Is he of age to start giving those little Gerber Graduates Puffs? Those helped our DS eat something rough but are gentle because they melt in his mouth. We havent had a lot of issues with DS eating, he eats anything, jarred or what I make for dinner. Sorry Im not much help!

• I would stop doing anything beyond puree's until I sat down with the pedi to review the feeding approach.

There are too many variables and I would never continually try something that was causing my lo to vomit!

• Loading the player...
  • How long have you been doing purees? I have read that babies who are used to purees gag more with solid food because they don't expect it.

• Also, I know this may seem counter-intuitive, but bigger pieces may let him control what goes in his mouth better.
  • What if you tried the carrots before bottle? Gagging is a good way for them to learn how to eat, but obviously it's no good if he's throwing up. What about if you gave him chunkier purees

ETA: Ditto PP, he may be used to bring spoon fed. Bigger chunks he can grip in his hand might be a better place to start.

• Hmm okay I will try some bigger pieces. I've tried the puffs, he throws up. He's been doing purees for a little over a month. He's on stage 2, but my doctor told me he could have anything to eat, whatever we are eating is fine.

Obviously if he throws up, I wait a couple days before trying it again. I guess I'm just afraid that he's going to choke on the bigger pieces.

• Maybe he is not ready. Each kids handles food differently.  Does he chew when he is spoon fed purees?

• Not all babies can start on solids.  DS gags on everything.  We're finally to thicker purees.  It just won't work with him- maybe you have the same problem.  Purees are not the end of the world.
  • imagelil_rhody:

How long have you been doing purees? I have read that babies who are used to purees gag more with solid food because they don't expect it.

Ditto. If you start with purees it can be really hard to transition to chunks. With BLW you're not supposed to use small pieces. Try big chunks that he can really get his hands around and gnaw on the end. That will likely help with his gagging.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"