Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Meat for LO?

Our pedi said we could move into stage 2 foods for DD which includes meat.  But, I am really struggling with giving our baby girl the jarred baby meat that looks like potted dog food.  Stick out tongue  If you give your LO meat, what do you give them?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Meat for LO?

• We feed our lo organic food. The meat is important for iron. It is nasty tasting though

Photobucket  Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagekatiemarie86:
    I made a whole chicken in the crockpot and diced it super tiny (like smaller than rice grains). I cooked it on low all day and it fell apart. I was so easy. I mix it in with other pureed veggies. I refuse to do pureed meat, nasty IMO.
    That's a good idea!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We let her eat whole pieces of chicken. The thought of pureed meat makes me sick. ick.
  • We give our DS jarred meats, but we make sure they are organic. Also, the only ones he will eat right now, are the ones that are mixed with veggies or fruit. So, today he ate a jar of "ham, rice and pineapple" for lunch. He was satisfied and it gives him the iron he needs. 

• We do BLW so Henry gets regular meat, not canned or jarred meat.  We've been tearing it up small enough that he won't choke but big enough so that he can grab it. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageIrishBrideND:
    We let her eat whole pieces of chicken. The thought of pureed meat makes me sick. ick.

We're not there yet, but this is what we will do. I also like the crock pot idea.

Meat in jars doesn't sit well with me either and it does nothing to help baby prepare for your cooking.?

• imageIrishBrideND:
    We let her eat whole pieces of chicken. The thought of pureed meat makes me sick. ick.

This. Just threw some chicken breasts in the crockpot with spices and shredded them. It was something we all could eat, which is important to me. LO loved it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • No meat right now, ick.

And iron shouldn't be an issue if you are BF or if your formula is iron-fortified.

• imagesapgirl76:
    We do BLW so Henry gets regular meat, not canned or jarred meat.  We've been tearing it up small enough that he won't choke but big enough so that he can grab it. 

Same here.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm not giving LO meat until he can eat it in a non-puree form.  I think it looks and smells like cat food.  They do NOT need meat for iron- you can easily give iron in vitamins and other foods (like spinach).  Our pedi said we can give meat but I just don't see the need.  He has enough other food he needs to try- why push it?  I'll give him a bite of Thanksgiving turkey though :-)
  • The newest data encourages meat as a first food for Bf babies because of the need for extra zinc and iron. Chicken is not a great iron source. We are doing rc first, then meats, which I will puree myself. The jar stuff is nasty!
  • We give DS all the stage 2 meats. They smell disgusting but he loves them. If you read the labels the main ingredients are usually vegetables. I think the meat is more for some flavor and extra vitamins. Gerber has some 2oz containers that are just meat with gravy. We've given him those and added like a 1/2 jar of veggies to go with it. We are currently doing fruit w/oatmeal for breakfast, veggies for lunch, and meat for dinner.

• I've pureed meat and added it to veggies (or fruits like cranberries). It's hard to get over the ick factor but it tastes pretty good. Just like a bite of that particular meat would taste if it weren't pureed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"