Breastfeeding

Really weird pump problem!

I'm baffled and need a solution here because I have milk, even though it's low supply, it's there. I need to pump frequently to increase it but here's the weird thing. I get nothing out of my breast using the pump. NOTHING. But I can take the pump off and use my hand to squeeze and literally milk comes squirting out like crazy!!! Why won't the pump extract my milk? I even tried different size flanges, I replaced the tubing, got new valves, etc... WTF???? Anyone else encounter this or have any ideas for solutions? I want to be able to pump for supply reasons but also to have some sotred milk too and it's pretty hard to squeeze my boob into a bottle when it squirts 3 different directions! LOL 

Re: Really weird pump problem!

• How long do you try with the pump?  Is this both breasts?  I have a very slow let down on the left side, and it takes a few minutes to get anything.  Compressions and visualizing the baby help me.

It could also be your pump. . . 

http://www.SoooBig.WordPress.com Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Sounds like you have a great supply! It is very normal for moms who have good supply to not be able to pump, pumping is an acquired skill so if you need to have milk stored than you have to pump regularly. I have actually hand expressed a cup of milk (about two ounces) so it is possible to do! If you really want your supply to increase than put your baby to the breast every two hours for a week or two, let the baby pacify on you especially at night and you will get a boost in your milk production. (skin to skin contact releases oxytocin which boosts milk production)

Little Rose is 2 1/2.
  • Loading the player...
  • A couple of questions. What kind of pump? Is it a new pump or did you borrow it from someone?
  • Sounds like your pump may be bad.
  • some dont respond well to a pump or it takes a while for your body to learn.

1: Massage/compress while you pump (this helped me a ton). Then hand squeeze at the end (i hand squeeze into the flangs so you have a larger "target"

2. have you tried the soft flanges, i hate them , but i know others who love them.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageMrsCAA:

some dont respond well to a pump or it takes a while for your body to learn.

1: Massage/compress while you pump (this helped me a ton). Then hand squeeze at the end (i hand squeeze into the flangs so you have a larger "target"

2. have you tried the soft flanges, i hate them , but i know others who love them.

I also have to massage while pumping, but only the one side. And if I am using the double pump, I have to switch to using only the one side. Weird, but works for me!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"