January 2011 Moms

Seriously, heartburn?

I get heartburn all the time, and I have had it virtually every day in this pregnancy.  8 bottles of tums later....and I've 'burped' stomach acid up 3 times today just about choking myself.  I woke up two nights ago literally choking on stomach acid- I now know what it feels like to almost drowned.  This is happening on a more and more regular basis, and it doesn't matter what I eat!

This child better come out with a full head of hair...lol 

Re: Seriously, heartburn?

• Tums are such a joke...I'm convinced they don't do anything. Do yourself a favor and pick up some Zantac and Mylanta...the Mylanta soothes almost instantly and the Zantac will prevent. I take it every night before bed or I wake up at midnight choking on acid.

Feel better!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagesandylou:

Tums are such a joke...I'm convinced they don't do anything. Do yourself a favor and pick up some Zantac and Mylanta...the Mylanta soothes almost instantly and the Zantac will prevent. I take it every night before bed or I wake up at midnight choking on acid.

Feel better!

Thanks!  Tums have always worked for me, so I didn't know what else to try.  My dad takes gaviscon for acid reflux, but its nasty... 

• Loading the player...
  • imagewmramsel:

I get heartburn all the time, and I have had it virtually every day in this pregnancy.  8 bottles of tums later....and I've 'burped' stomach acid up 3 times today just about choking myself.  I woke up two nights ago literally choking on stomach acid- I now know what it feels like to almost drowned.  This is happening on a more and more regular basis, and it doesn't matter what I eat!

This child better come out with a full head of hair...lol 

Me too!!!!  I have started sleeping propped up on a bunch of pillows until 3 or 4 AM to keep from choking.  I've never had heartburn before this pregnancy, and I hope it goes away once the baby is born.  Fortunately for me, Tums have been working, but I'm also on Reglan to keep things moving along too.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • I take zantac to try to keep the heartburn away.  It is awful and tums don't touch it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagewmramsel:
    imagesandylou:

Tums are such a joke...I'm convinced they don't do anything. Do yourself a favor and pick up some Zantac and Mylanta...the Mylanta soothes almost instantly and the Zantac will prevent. I take it every night before bed or I wake up at midnight choking on acid.

Feel better!

Thanks!  Tums have always worked for me, so I didn't know what else to try.  My dad takes gaviscon for acid reflux, but its nasty... 

Never tried gaviscon...I don't think the Mylanta is that bad. It's not thick like I thought it would be and it's not really chalky. I don't think so anyway, but to me anything is better than the acid.

I didn't think I would have heartburn during pregnancy because I take 40mg of Nexium every day for GERD...it's all just exhasperated now though.

Anyway, my DR recommended the Mylanta because it's liquid and she said it would coat my stomach better than just Tums and the Zantac to prevent.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagesandylou:
    imagewmramsel:
    imagesandylou:

Feel better!

Never tried gaviscon...I don't think the Mylanta is that bad. It's not thick like I thought it would be and it's not really chalky. I don't think so anyway, but to me anything is better than the acid.

I didn't think I would have heartburn during pregnancy because I take 40mg of Nexium every day for GERD...it's all just exhasperated now though.

Anyway, my DR recommended the Mylanta because it's liquid and she said it would coat my stomach better than just Tums and the Zantac to prevent.

Awesome, thanks!! 

• Well tums, and Mylanta was a joke for the first 4 pregnancies. Then Zantac was a joke i was taken 150x 2 twice a day. I thought i was going to over dose. Then i asked a friend about a home remedy and no more heart burn or anything else. I take a half a tsp of bake soda and a drop of vinegar and wow no daily heart burn.I know it sounds nasty and taste nasty but it's relieve.I haven't had a flare up in a month. I say thank you Jesus everyday.
  • My heartburn is all day, everyday..... peaking around 4 pm. Ugh. 
  • I've been aspirating the acid at night too - someone on the board suggested prevacid, and that seems to help a bit. I take zantac twice a day. When I wake up choking acid, I mix 3 tums with some milk and that takes some of the sharpness away so I don't feel like I'm dying.
  • Blah- I am feeling the same way tonight! My heartburn is miserable EVERYDAY.  It was the first pregnancy symptom I experienced, and definitely the most longstanding!

Thankfully, Tums have worked for relief ( I just bought a tub of the Smoothies on accident-YUM).... but I'm with you that nothing seems to prevent it!

• imagemamaprof:
    My heartburn is all day, everyday..... peaking around 4 pm. Ugh. 

Me too! No fun :(

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"