3rd Trimester

crib bumpers

Ok, so I tried this as a clicky poll, but I failed!

I know the topic of crib bumpers is kind of controversial around here, but I'm going to ask anyway. I'm not trying to cause fights either, I'm just wondering whether you are using a crib bumper or not? I've done my own research, but still am undecided, and would like to hear opinions. TIA! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: crib bumpers

• I used them for my son and I will be using them this time around as well. Just being honest not looking to start an uproar about bumpers.
  • Will be using one until the baby is able to pull themself up in the crib and possibly use it as a stepping stool to get out.
  • Loading the player...
  • We are getting a breathable bumper but may not put it in the crib unless we feel we need it, I think we'll start without.
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • Not using one.

I never bought a crib set either. I find them to be a waste of money and unnecessary.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We used a breathable bumper at first but once LO started to learn how to crawl she would knock the bumper down in between the mattress and the side of the crib and then proceed to bump her head very hard into the side of the crib.  After getting up with her countless times and having bruises all over her head we went out and bought a regular bumper.  She was able to push herself out of it by that age so I wasn't worried about suffocation and we also had the ceiling fan on.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am half and half, our bumper is tucked under the mattress so you can see the cute monkeys on the outside but poses no risk to the baby. KWIM?
  • We're not planning to use one. If baby starts to get caught in the rungs, we'll address it then. But, until that point I figure why add unnecessary gear, especially something that does have drawbacks.
  • We will use a breathable bumper.
  • imagedarlene'smommy:
    We will use a breathable bumper.

This. 

• imageamaragee:

Our set came with one, but I wasn't going to use it because I'd heard of a few risks. Then my husband saw a feature in "Parents" magazine about the editor's top ten bumper picks, which got me wondering, why would they feature bumpers if the recommendation is to not use them? I asked my OB what her opinion was, and she did not see a risk. She also pointed out that we'd mentioned our LO will be sleeping in our room in a co-sleeper for the first few months, so she won't even be in the crib for a while Stick out tongue When it comes time to put the baby in her crib, if we are still concerned about any potential risks I'll ask our pediatrician what their recommendation is.

So... long story short, we are using a bumper.

Really?

The reason the editor features their top ten bumper picks is b/c they're being paid by the companies that make the bumpers. It's basically advertising.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • mmc @ 14 weeks - November 2009. Missed every day. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 15DPO:461 17DPO (47hrs later):1380
  • imageAllysunC:

Not using one.

I never bought a crib set either. I find them to be a waste of money and unnecessary.

This.  Definitely not using a bumper and the matchy matchy crib set is just not our style. 

• I am not using one, but it's because I made my own bedding and didn't feeling like making something that I would take out once baby goes in the crib. :)

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • using the breathable one
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Not using one.  I don't care if using one only elevates the SIDS risk by 0.001%... why take the risk at all?  
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Totally using one!!!  Well, until LO goes in the crib.  I was thinking that I'd use it to make some pillows for her toddler bed for later though.  But I got our bedding set on clearance, so it wasn't that much.  Otherwise, I wouldn't have even bothered. 
  • I used one for DD and will use one again this time.

IMG_5889 Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Not using one. The American Association of Pediatrics advices against it as it is listed as a risk factor for SIDS.
  • I'll be using one at least to set up the room. I didn't get a bedding set b/c I never found one that I liked. I just registered for plain white sheets and had a bumper custom made with material that I liked (our nursery is modern and minimalist and I wanted to keep it that way). I plan to remove it if I get nervous about it when LO is born.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Nope, not using one.  The only purpose they serve is decoration and I can decorate the room in other ways that aren't controversial. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"