Baby Names
Options

Cooper - Sissy or Manly?

We have less than 3 weeks to go and have absolutely no boy names picked out!  We thought of Cooper the other day...we both really like it, but I'm not sure how manly it is?  I think it's so adorable for a boy but is it strong enough for a man?  Thoughts please?

The name would be Cooper Patrick

Re: Cooper - Sissy or Manly?

• Options
    I don't think it is "manly" at all.
  • Options

Neither.

It's no Maximus or George, but it's definitely no Grayson or Tristan.

It's a LN, so it's naturally "male," but I wouldn't call it manly. I do think a grown man could wear it well, though. It's not cutesy, but it is trendy---though there are much worse "trendy" names.

VOTE on my Name List

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I really like the name Cooper and it was one of the top names on my list but my DH vetoed it because of the show Private Practice. 
  • Options
    I think it's very cutesy. It's definitely in a group of names that sound "weak" to me.

• Options
    Sissy.  I don't like it at all.  Sounds flamboyant (sp?) to me.  Sorry.
  • Options
    I think it's sissy based on kids that I know with the name. I also know 3 chocolate labs named Cooper.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yeah, I think it could work for a man. Nice combo! Congrats. :)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • Options
    I agree with the PP who said "neither." I don't think it sounds sissy, but I don't think it's super manly, either. On the other hand, it doesn't sound like a little boy's name. (I put "Dr." in front of names to see how they'll sound. "Dr. Cooper Patrick Lastname" sounds pretty good to me!)
  • Options
    I'm not a fan, but I love Patrick!
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options

I like Cooper and don't find it sissy.

The eldest Manning son is named Cooper, but I wouldn't call Peyton and Elisha super manly names either. But when you're a Manning, I suppose you could be named Leslie and Ashley and get away with it.

Funny note about Cooper Manning, I read an article about him once and it is pronounced "the Southern way" with the "oo" sound like "cook". I found that a little strange.

• Options
    I love it and don't find it to be sissy name at all!
  • Options
    Far from manly IMO. I really dislike the name.
  • Options
    Not very manly, but definitely a boy name.
  • Options
    I don't think it's manly or sissy - somewhere in between.  FWIW, I like the name Cooper Patrick.
    DD1 - 12.25.05
    (m/c 1.17.07, m/c 5.15.07)
    DS - 03.15.08
    DD2 - 12.03.09
    DD3 - 3.28.11
  • Options
    It rhymes with poop.  I can't get beyond that.
  • Options

First I find the term "sissy" offensive.

That being said, I think Cooper is a masculine name, it means barrel maker, right? My BFF named one of her friends Cooper to honor her father who was the brew master at a local brewery.

I like Patrick as a MN

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I can think of at least 5 dogs I know named Cooper. Personally I just can't get over that association. But I love Patrick!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage.
  • Options
    It sounds like 'woof' to me.
  • Options

imagethefases:
    It rhymes with poop.  I can't get beyond that.

Same here.  I always think of Cooper the Pooper.  But to actually answer your question, I don't think it's neither too masculine or too feminine - just somewhere in the middle.

• Options
    Very sissy
  • Options
    I don't think it is sissy at all.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I don't think it ages well at all.
    Visit The Nest!Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Nest! Anniversary
    VOTE on my Name List image 7 anovulatory cycles, 1 cycle 50 mg clomid, 4 cycles 100mg clomid, HSG double blockage, hysteroscopy with cyst and debris removal, fermara/IUI attempt abandoned because of anovulation, follistim/IUI attempt coming soon!
  • Options
    My next door neighbor's dog is named Cooper.
  • Options
    imagealliejo725:

It's no Maximus or George, but it's definitely no Grayson or Tristan.

I think an adult could wear it well.  It's a bit trendy, but not awfully trendy IMO.

• Options

imagemetzy144:
    I also know 3 chocolate labs named Cooper.

This.  They only Coopers I've met have been dogs.

• Options
    My first thought (and from looking at previous posts I see I'm not the only one) is that Cooper is a dog's name. My second thought is that on a guy it makes me think of a high school jock. Also, I don't think that it would age well.
    imageimage
    Matilda 6/19/09
    Graham 10/25/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"