3rd Trimester
Options

Crib question for 2nd time moms

My son will be 22 mos when baby arrives.  I am trying to decide if I should buy a 2nd convertible crib for the baby, or should I just put DS in a toddler bed?  So far DS has shown no signs of trying to climb out of his crib.  I didn't know what the average age is for the transition from crib to toddler bed. 

Re: Crib question for 2nd time moms

• Options

DD has been in a toddler bed from about 13 months, when she started jumping out of the crib like a maniac.

DD is now just over 2 years.  We bought her a captain's bed and it's very high, but we bought those sides you can use on it, so she doesn't fall out.  She  loves it - we got her a beautiful "big girl" hardwood set and I hope it lasts forever.  I love all the storage and put her off-season & ahead of season clothes in it (I'm a shopper and love clothes, so it's nice to not have to drag this stuff into the attic).  She has a dresser with shirts & sweaters in it and a tall dresser with pants, socks, PJs.  I want DH to add a second bar for her closet and she'll be set. 

Baby #2 moves into the convertible crib set.

I will post pics soon, since we're finally done getting everything set up.

• Options
    DD is younger than your LO, but after getting advice from other mom's I decided to keep her in her crib as long as possible... she gets into everything as it is, I don't want to worry about what she is doing roaming around in the middle of the night. We ended up buying the Sorelle mini crib./changer at BRU for baby #2. It's nice because we didn't have to buy a second changing table, etc, and it converts to a twin bed... so by the time DD is ready to transition we can move her to that, and use the full sized crib for the baby. The mini crib takes up less space, and was really cheap compared to DD's set.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think we switched DD around 18 months because her crib was recalled.  She also was not trying to climb out yet, and we had no plan to switch her til she did or when the new year hit.  I didn't wanna switch her too close to when baby came.  Anyway, she did great.  She only got out of bed and wanted out of her room a couple times. 
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    whats a mini crib?
  • Options
    We just switched DS to his toddler bed two nights ago.  So far, he's done ok (we put a gate by his door until he falls asleep). I'm hoping it lasts!  I thought 17 months might be too young, but a friend of mine did it with her daughter before her 2nd was born, and it's worked out great for them.  She was about 17 months also.  

photo cec1e248-7430-4475-9668-04578f2fd00a.jpg 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Put him in a toddler bed. We switched my DS to a twin bed 3 months ago when he was 20 months old and it has been great. He was never a kid who tried getting out of the crib either. You may be surprised at how easy the transition is.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DD #1 passed away in January 2011 at 14 days old due to congenital heart disease
    DD#2 lost in January 2012 at 23 weeks due to anhydramnios caused by a placental abruption
  • Options
    We put DS in a twin sized bed a few months ago and he has done great. He really likes having his own "big boy" bed. It was nice to be able to move his crib over to the next room for the new baby, now all we need is bedding!
  • Options
    My son was going to be 25 mo when dd was born and I didn't want to get another crib so we bought a cheap used toddler bed and transitioned ds at 23 mo. I didn't want it to be too close to when baby arrived and him to think she stole his crib. worked out fine for us. They share a tiny room so I couldn't buy a reg bed. If he had his own room I would have skipped the toddler bed thing. He is 4 and still sleeping in the toddler bed. We are getting bunk beds for them in the next couple of months.
    Shareena Mom to Ethan 8.17.06 Lillian 9.25.08 Ewan 1.30.11 image
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic For all 3
  • Options

We got a 2nd convertible crib and the other furniture as well. DD doesn't try to get out of her crib, and quite frankly, I am more than happy to leave her in there until she is 3. At which point we will turn her crib into a full size bed. If she starts wanting out earlier than that, then totally fine.

Also, we bought DDs furniture with intentions of it being with her for a long time. Same goes for DD2

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DS will be 23 mo when baby comes. We bought another crib and dresser! He has made NO attempt to climb out and I figure I can contain him more easily this way!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imageccrow:
    whats a mini crib?

Just a smaller size - more the size of a pack and play. This is ours...

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DS was totally not ready a couple of months ago to use his toddler bed. Now I feel it's too close to the baby arriving to try and transition him. We may try a couple of months from now, if DH and I have the patience. : )

• Options

There is no magic age when all kids are ready. You know your kid better than anyone. Would he be safe having freedom while you're sleeping?

DS was absolutely not ready at 22 months. He wasn't ready until he was 3.

• Options
    imageReeseM:

We got a 2nd convertible crib and the other furniture as well. DD doesn't try to get out of her crib, and quite frankly, I am more than happy to leave her in there until she is 3. At which point we will turn her crib into a full size bed. If she starts wanting out earlier than that, then totally fine.

Also, we bought DDs furniture with intentions of it being with her for a long time. Same goes for DD2

Ditto. We bought two sets of furniture, both with convertible cribs so they each have their own bed for a long time (...although I love the thought of them sharing a room with bunk beds in the future...we'll see how it goes!)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"