Breastfeeding
Options

he still eats every hour and a half - anyone else?

My little guy is 8 weeks today and still eats every hour and a half.  Sometimes every hour even!  I can sometimes push him to 2 hours, but I really try to feed on demand.  I keep reading posts about people being worried that their babies go 3-4 hours in between feedings.  My LO never does this except for at night.  I had been offering the second breast at every feeding, which did give a little more time in between feedings.  However, this caused me huge oversupply issues so now I feed one breast at a feeding, which I think he is getting used to.  He has a sensitive tummy, so I guess it's better that he eat smaller meals spaced out.  I hope I'm sort of worrying for nothing.  Does anyone else have this?  Do you think this is abnormal at this age?  Should I try something different?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: he still eats every hour and a half - anyone else?

• Options
    My little one still eats every 2 hours at 20 weeks old. So yes, I think it is completely normal. Some babies are just hungrier than others and as long as his weight is appropriate, you are doing fine.  It is however exhausting on the mama I know :)
  • Options
    My 5 month old still nurses every 2 hours.  She's always been a "grazer".  It's totally normal.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

yep, i have a "snacker" to. every 1.5 - 2.5 hours during the day - i get a 4 hour stretch at night, and then it's 2-3 hours.

i am used to it now, and she only nurses for 5-10 minutes, so it's not too bad. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options

Mine is almost 4 months and eats every 2 hours. What kind of oversupply issues were you having? Could you not pump the oversupply? and what do you mean he is "getting used to" feeding on one breast at a feeding? Does this mean he is still hungry after feeding from one side?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagericejl:

Mine is almost 4 months and eats every 2 hours. What kind of oversupply issues were you having? Could you not pump the oversupply? and what do you mean he is "getting used to" feeding on one breast at a feeding? Does this mean he is still hungry after feeding from one side?

He was drinking too much foremilk from both sides.  Caused a lot of gas and aggrevation.  I sort of assumed he was getting used to eating one side at time and that is why he was eating so frequently, like yes that he was still hungry after finishing one side because my production is still adjusting to the new way of feeding.  Does this make sense?  I never wanted to pump the oversupply because I really wanted to get rid of it and pumping would just further encourage it.  We block fed for a couple of weeks and I feel like things are more balanced, but that my body is still adjusting to what he takes a single feeding from one breast instead of two.  But even when I fed both sides, which I will never do again, he still ate about every 2 hours.  I guess he just has a big appetite and maybe he is trying to take it slow and eat more frequently.  No weight gain issues or anything.  He's 4+ pounds up from his birth weight.

• Options
    Sounds like you are doing good, some babies eat more frequently during the day so they can rest more at night, so you should be happy about his frequency during the day!

Little Rose is 2 1/2.
  • Options
    My DD just started going longer between feedings at 3 months.  She now regularly goes 2-3 hours.  Sometimes every hour, but that is usually her being nursed to sleep.
  • Options

Skylar eats every 1.5 hours - 2 hours and he's 6 months old!

• Options
    My DD is three months old and she still eats every 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours, but she also STTN so its totally worth it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"