Breastfeeding

freezer stash organization

If you pump and freeze, how do you organize the frozen milk bags in your freezer?

TIA

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: freezer stash organization

• I date the bag, fill it and lay it flat to freeze. Then I place it in a large Ziploc freezer storage bag. Set each new milk bag behind the previous one. Once that bag is full, place it in the back of the freezer or in your deep freezer if you have one.(I have a single freezer and place mine in a cardboard box w/a lid) Place each stash behind the older one to have the freshest milk available. Check your supply often to be sure you are using it before it expires.
  • I freeze the bags flat.  Then after they freeze, I move them to a plastic bin/container where they are all straight up.  They are in the container organized by date.  The container has a special section in the freezer that is out of the way from any other stuff in the freezer.  I also record them in my iPhone.  So I know the date and amount of each bag.
  • Loading the player...
  • I EP'ed so i had a massive freezer stash. (i.e an entire deep freezer of milk)

I also donated a lot of milk- so i definitely know how to organize milk.

freeze milk in bags- lay flat to freeze. WRite date on it. Group frozen milk in large ziplock bags- date the outside of the bag with a #1 (2, 3, 4) and the last date of milk inside (Nov 3)

So when you go to use it- you use the first bag going in, and then subsequent bags as you need.

Make sense?

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I've done the lay flat, date and put newest in back thing. Now I'm going to try freezing milk cubes in BPA free trays, pop them out and then put them back in the freezer in bags with the date. I'm planning on doing the same thing with food once he starts eating solids. My son usually doesn't eat a ton of milk at once and sometimes I freeze too much for him. This way, I won't waste as much.
  • Good question!  My stash is a complete disaster.  Frozen bags of milk are strewn haphazardly on the bottom of the freezer.  I have a smaller than average sized fridge though. 
  • someone posted this awhile back and I thought it was extremely clever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4nr7hxToiY 

(i do the ziplock storage though, because I have a huge stash stored in the deep freezer.) 

• I write the date and amount on the outside of the bag, then I use old wipes containers and just put the flat bag on the top, that way i know the oldest ones are at the bottom of the wipes container.  I also have more than one container, so i've written "1" on the first one, "2" on the second one, and so on.

a very clever thing I saw was using old gift bags and cutting a slit in the bottom side of the bag.  that way you can deposit the newest storage bags on the top, and pull the oldest out of the slit in the bag.  I may convert when my stash gets bigger and i can't fit any more containers in my freezer! 

• imageorangecurls:

someone posted this awhile back and I thought it was extremely clever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4nr7hxToiY 

(i do the ziplock storage though, because I have a huge stash stored in the deep freezer.) 

I just watched this. I think cereal boxes would work as well and might stand up better than the gift bags. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"