Breastfeeding
Options

Supply at the end of the day

I feel like I have no milk left by the time the night feeding rolls around.  Is that possible?  The first feeding of the morning (whenever LO wakes up), I have a lot of milk & can pump about 2 ounces from one breast.  By the end of the day, she's tugging & crying.  Those with supply issues, does this happen to you?  I've been on Fenugreek for 2 weeks now & eat oatmeal everyday but I don't see a difference.  I've also added a few pumping sessions in during the day to stimulate production & usually only get less than an ounce of milk.  Per the pediatrician, I've been giving DD 2 oz bottles of formula after nursing twice a day because she wasn't gaining weight.  Her birth weight was 7#12oz & at 5 weeks, she only weighed 8#5.9oz.   We have an appointment on Tuesday to check her current weight.  I hope she's gained enough.
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

"Cherish your furbabies today because there might not be a tomorrow"

Heaven has another angel. RIP Bubba 2/15/09 - 9 Months Old

Godspeed Apache "Boo Boo" 2/2/09 - 2 1/2 Years Old
Rest in peace my sweet Angel. 11/05/08 - 2 Years Old

Re: Supply at the end of the day

• Options
    I was told by mt LC that our supply is lowest in the evening, that is why babies tend to cluster feed then. Hth
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageemriley84:
    I was told by mt LC that our supply is lowest in the evening, that is why babies tend to cluster feed then. Hth

This is why my daughter cluster feeds from 8-10:30pm every single night!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    At that age, my little guy wanted to nurse fairly non-stop from about 7pm to 10pm. Unfortunately, supply is usually just naturally lower at night. Hang in there!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Ditto all of the above...every night it is a cluster feed marathon in this house :(
  • Options

imageToots_pop:
    Ditto all of the above...every night it is a cluster feed marathon in this house :(

We call it the nightly boob-a-thon.  I consider it a win if my nipples are still attached by the time it's over.  lol  Seriously there are some nights that I'm fairly certain my daughter is just going to suck them right off!

• Options
    image***SweetPea***:

imageToots_pop:

We call it the nightly boob-a-thon.  I consider it a win if my nipples are still attached by the time it's over.  lol  Seriously there are some nights that I'm fairly certain my daughter is just going to suck them right off!

LOL! I totally know how you feel!!

• Options

I have been BFing in the morning followed by pumping, and then switch to pumping/bottle feeding at night. That way I know what she's getting (and it gives me a break).

I actually just pumped 2.75 oz. over 10 minutes, which I was excited about (and impressed DH with!) Either my milk is really coming in, or the Milk Thistle & Fenugreek is working.

• Options
    How much fenugreek are you taking? You could also add in blessed thistle 2 caps with every meal, if you are not on it already. The combo of 3 fenugreek 3x/day with the blessed thistle helped me a TON! And she is coming up on her 6 week growth spurt (or in it now) so it may seem like you have nothing until she gets through it, but when she does, WATCH OUT they will be full!
  • Options
    Besides the cluster feeding aspect, make sure you're drinking tons of water and eating enough. I had evenings where I felt like I ran out of milk and it was because I hadn't had enough water or hadn't eaten enough that day. It takes extra calories to make milk.
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Options

Amy -

I've had 3 LC appointments since birth. We've done the pre/post nursing weight each time. I had to overcome major nipple trauma and fixing a latch. I'm following the LC's recommendations, including taking the Milk Thistle and Fenugreek at 3 caps/3x per day. I try to nurse as much during the day, but I need sleep, too! I have to supplement with pumped breast milk and formula (at least it's organic) while waiting for the supply to increase.

Baby's weight was up 4 oz. in 3 days, so something is working Big Smile

Pedi also put me on a new schedule feeding every 3-3 1/2 hours (or when Baby wants to nurse) and trying a 5 hour stretch at night. She seems to go 4 hours at night right now. Which, compared to the every 2 hours last week, seems like heaven to me.

Thanks for your suggestions.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"