Babies: 0 - 3 Months

FF moms

Hello ladies. Question for those exclusively formula feeding-- My milk came in today and holy hell my boobs hurt!!! How long was it before yours dried up and stopped hurting?

Re: FF moms

• Mine stopped hurting after two weeks. Do not do anything to express the milk or it will keep coming back. I'm sure you will leak in the shower and on your clothes (you still need breast pads!) but do not pump! Wear a very tight bra and constrict them as much as possible. I also got low grade fevers when my milk came in. It will pass but u will randomly leak for a month so get disposable breast shields u can change when your out. GOOD LUCK!
  • Thank you! I am wearing a bra and it feels too small but my mom said to keep them in tight. I hadno idea it hurt this bad. Tonight is my last night in the hospital- LO is in the nursery- all I want is to sleep and the pain is keeping me up!
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine hurt so bad this time around that I did express so that I felt better.  I manually expressed about 2 times (2 ounces each time) over 12 hours and felt a lot better.  I wore a tight bra during the day and at night.  Took my pain meds to help ease things.  Ice packs helped too.  It was about 1.5 weeks until it had pretty much dried up.  Good luck!
  • i BF for 18 days and then threw in the towel.  i was only in pain for 2 days!!!  i actually didn't wear a tight bra, just took a couple extra hot showers... i am still leaking just a tad, but nothing out of control.  good luck!
  • Drink caffeine and take a decongestant. Both will help speed up the process. Fair warning - breast pads did nothing for me  the first week. I kept washcloths in my bra. Also it is ok to express a little to be comfortable, just do it minimally. You dont want to get an infection.

• Cabbage leaves!

There is an enzyme in cabbage that helps dries milk up. If you put cabbage leaves in your bra (Gross, I know.), replacing leaves every 2 hours or so, you should dry up in about two days.

This technique is also used for overproduction. A friend of mine had a real problem with it so her lactation consultant sat with her and did cabbage leaves for about 2 hours only to reduce milk production by just a hair for that day.

Completely natural and it will not ruin you having the oppertunity to breastfeed if you'd like to with another child in the future. 

• Mine were sore for 2 weeks with 2nd LO and for a couple of days with 1st LO.

Don't touch them, or try to think about it. Also the warm water of the shower will encourage milk, so be careful there.

I didn't have to wear pads or anything, but was lucky I guess.

It will go away and you will feel so much better.

Good luck!

• imagekkoncz:
    i BF for 18 days and then threw in the towel.  i was only in pain for 2 days!!!  i actually didn't wear a tight bra, just took a couple extra hot showers... i am still leaking just a tad, but nothing out of control.  good luck!

this. I BF for 18 days and then quit. I leaked severly for 2 days and was painfully engorged for 1 but I feel normal now.

2 losses
    2 beautiful children
    proud mommy!
  • I BF for about a week and then decided to switch to formula and I was told to manually express the milk if the pain became too bad but not to pump.  My LC told me that it was the pulling/sucking on the nipple that made you produce the milk so as long as you weren't pulling on the nipple when you were hand expressing that it was alright.  Anyways, it was only painful for about 2 days and I could quit wearing breast pads after about 2 weeks I'd say.
  • I wore a sports bra with breast pads in it for about 2 weeks! My doctor also recommended to avoid putting my chest in direct contact with the hot water and that really helped me! I didn't seem to leak much after the shower if I kept the girls directly out of the hot water! GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"