Nurseries and Baby Gear

Stroller Recs: For those in walking cities??

For those in high traffic walking cities such as NYC, Chicago, DC, and Boston, what type of stroller do you have? We don't have a car so we want something that is functional, durable, and not too bulky.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Re: Stroller Recs: For those in walking cities??

• I work in NYC and the top strollers I see on the street on a daily basis are Bugaboos and Uppa Baby Vistas. A lot of Maclarens on the subways too.
  • Loading the player...
  • Hi,

Baby Bargains rated the BOB the best city stroller and the majority of my Baby Community in Chicago has the BOB also.  It's not as expensive as the Bubaboo and Uppa Baby.  It's also vesatile enough if you prefer to run or walk long distances :)

• Look at the Baby Jogger City Mini. It is small, compact fold and really great. It won't take up a ton of room in your home either because it folds and locks in place and you can stick it in the closet. I don't live in the city but we take it with us everywhere. I have road tested it downtown Chicago and it did great. 

I was out with a friend walking and she had a cheap stroller and kept getting caught on cracks/bumps in the sidewalk and I didn't with the City Mini.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm from NYC and we have the Orbit. We do have cars so we needed the car seat but we were also given the bassinet and stroller seats.

We are looking to get the Stokke Xplory or mayyyybeeee the Uppa Baby for the baby-sitter's place since she only needs a stroller and won't be driving her around. We are leaning towards the stokke though because of the reviews, the height of the seat and carry cot. Ruled out bugaboo because of the convertible bassinet and Uppa Baby is iffy right now because we saw lots of reviews that said they had issues when they first got it and had to get stuff replaced. With that being said, we probably won't need the second stroller until next April so we have some time left to decide on this. 

• For the first year of our DD's life, we had the Kolcraft Contours Options three wheel stroller, and I really liked it. The seat can face you, it reclines fully, has a big canopy and huge basket, and it works well on city streets. It has a car seat adapter that takes pretty much any brand.

We also have a Quinny Zapp for our lightweight stroller (weighs a mere thirteen pounds), which is great for taking into stores, for traveling and for taking on public transit. It folds up small enough to fit underneath a bus or train seat and is also great for cabs.  It takes the Maxi Cosi infant seat. The new style for next year will also have the ability to face the seat towards you and recline it fully, which the model I have does not do. It will also weigh nineteen pounds and looks to be a bit more durable than the current model.

For our all terrain/jogging stroller, we have the Chariot Cougar. I also use it for daily biking with DD. It is fantastic but is definitely a beast. I don't have too many problems taking it into stores or anything, though I would never take it on public transit. I love that I can fit a good amount of groceries in it; I also love the built in bug shield and rain cover (you can tuck them out of the way when not using).  It folds completely flat, which is nice for traveling.  It is AWESOME for plowing through snow. Nothing compares. We do not own a car and it has been a lifesaver here in Chicago when we get snowstorms and the city is slow on clearing snow. It can also be used for hiking and skiing with the appropriate attachments, as well as regular strolling (also with the right attachment).

• I'm in Chicago and getting the Uppababy Vista - I'm sold on the basket size, the adjustable handlebar, how lightweight it is, and the solid rubber tires. I also like that it's compatible with our car seat (Peg Perego), can fold with the seat attached, and a ton of the extras come with for the price.

I'm also a first time mom with virtually no stroller experience - just working off reviews and a 20 min Q&A comparison session at BuyBuyBaby with one of their staff.  We were looking at the Bugaboo vs. the Vista.

Caitlin 4.17.11     Madeline 10.20.13

• I see a ton of BOBs and City Minis here in SF.
  • We have the Bumbleride Indie - its the lightest in its class for dragging up stairs!  ; -)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • City Select, Uppa, possibly the bugaboo-just not as much value for your $$.  I reccomend reading Baby Bargains.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"