Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Newborn Must Haves?

I am due in 3 weeks and trying to make sure I have everything ready for LO. We have diapers, wipes, pacifiers, bottles (I will BF and pump), burp cloths, swaddle blankets, a bulb syringe, butt paste, bath supplies, a crib, a rock n play, and an activity mat. We also have car seat and stroller. My SIL suggested cooking some meals, which I'll do this weekend, and my mom and DH will be around to help with things, but I am worried I'm forgetting something big. Anything else you needed / wanted right away? Thanks!!

Re: Newborn Must Haves?

• Scratch mittens, and maybe a swing or a bouncer, not a "must have" but it sure does make life easier!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new.
  • I really liked having gowns for her when we were getting up/eatting/changing so often. Its a pain to snap buttons over and over. We still put her in them at night.
  • Loading the player...
  • I love sheet savers. not the fancy kind that are out now but the regular, bigger, throw in the washer kind. I use it in LO's crib, PNP, swing, etc. It helps if here were to pee or poop through a diaper or while I am changing him, you don't have to change the whole sheet or something.
  • Sounds like you have a good list. We didn't use much else then what you have.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • a swing was a lifesaver for me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I second the mittens - you can't have too many, they get lost easily!

Also two Halo Sleepsacks - a godsend :)

• I didn't realize how often my LO's diaper would leak. We go through about 8 blankets in one day and the sheet savers have been a must for us. You'll also need rubbing alcohol to put on the belly button until the cord falls off and vasoline if you are having a boy and will circumcise him. 
  • We never used scratch mittens...not once. I just kept his fingernails short. We have a bouncer (a hand-me-down, older one) that we put on the kitchen table. That way he gets to "participate" in meals. We never used a swaddle blanket; J. doesn't like to be swaddled.

We did, however, use tons of receiving blankets. (It was so hot when he was born that we kept him in a diaper only for a long time. And for the first few days we just wrapped in receiving blankets we got at garage sales without a diaper. When he pooped, we'd just use the rest of the blanket to wipe him off...and the meconium washed right out. To be fair, I didn't mind the laundry as we CD anyway.)

Your list looks like way more than we have actually used. We do tend to get by on the minimum though. We don't like to have lots of stuff.

I second the having meals in the freezer, though.
  • imagenrbg116:
    I really liked having gowns for her when we were getting up/eatting/changing so often. Its a pain to snap buttons over and over. We still put her in them at night.

DS still sleeps in gowns.  So much easier for diaper changes and you can get the ones with built in mittens in the sleeves. 

•  I agree that gowns are so much easier for night time diaper changes. We really love our Fisher Price Calming Vibrations bouncer, too.

• We're using the heck out our Boppy and receiving blankets. Also, don't forget a thermometer.

Another thing we find useful is underpads (here's an example). We put them on the changing table because LO like to continue to pee or poop in the middle of diaper changes. Or as PPs said, you can use a washable sheet saver.

Good luck! 

[Edited to make a clicky link.]

"To me, you are perfect."

• My LO is one month old today and here's what we've used:

bassinet (LO is in our room right now), pack n play, crib, diapers (we just ran out of NB size so we started using size 1 but could probably use NB another week or so - also LO uses at least 10-12 diapers a day), wipes,  side snap shirts, sleep gowns are great for night time diaper changes, socks, hand mittens (two pair were plenty), bath tub/supplies, receiving blankets and swaddle me (couldn't use until this week - LO was too small), pacifiers, bottles, breast pump, formula on hand incase you have to supplement (we did the ready to feed 2 oz bottles), swing, bouncy, burp cloths....  I think that's everything.

I did freezer and meals and it was a big help.  People brought us food too but it was nice not to have to cook, just thaw and heat.

• I could not live without my swing. It is a lifesaver for me! We have the Fisher Price lil lamb and lil one loves it!
  • imageJuliaBug:
    I didn't realize how often my LO's diaper would leak. We go through about 8 blankets in one day and the sheet savers have been a must for us. You'll also need rubbing alcohol to put on the belly button until the cord falls off and vasoline if you are having a boy and will circumcise him. 

Our pedi doesn't recommend using rubbing alcohol on the belly button.

• Abosultely make more frozen meals than you think you need. We got tons of food the first two weeks and now our freezer supplies are dwindling. I just restocked on stoffers meals, frozen pizzas and the like

Aquaphor was a big help for DS's dry skin and diaper rash, we bought extra changing pad covers and have needed every one of them (plenty of accidents!) Also check your clothing, we needed more newborn sized clothes (mostly footed pjs) it seems everything we got was 3 month and up

Good Luck!

imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Something we couldn't live without is the Boppy Newborn Lounger.  It says not to let LO sleep in it, but we do, because she is right in front of us.  She gets to be in the same room, while sleeping on her own.  We have also used the mats for the changing table, since she likes to go to the bathroom when her diaper is off!
  • Boppy if you are breastfeeding is nice to have.  We use receiving blankets for spit ups so it is our burb cloth but they are also nice for swaddling or just using as a light blanket...I basically use them for a lot of things. There will be something that you will find you need soon after you get home so just be prepared to have yourself or someone make the trip to the store.  Oh pads and breastpads (for leaking) for yourself.
    Mommy to DS1 ~10.11.05~ DD1 ~07.22.07~ DD2 ~09.10.10~
  • We could not have made it through without our swing. This time around we bought one that plugged in which is so much easier than having to find batteries when your baby wants to swing. DS is currently napping in the swing right now.
  • Looks like you have a pretty good list.

I definitely recommend the Boppy.  Also some sort of nipple cream for the early weeks and some breast pads.  I love the Medela lanolin.  You may want to pick up a nursing tank or two since it might take you a few weeks to get out of the house to get fitted for bras.  Frozen meals are a lifesaver!!  And, for you, you might want to pick up some tucks pads, Dermoplast, some menstrual pads, and some baby wipes for yourself (TP will hurt for a while). 

I also use the crap out of hand sanitizer for after diaper changes and before feedings, especially while I'm in town.

Finally, I love my baby carriers.  You can use something like a Moby immediately.  It's so nice being able to get things done when DS just wants to be held or can't sleep unless I'm holding him.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• saline drops. We never used mittens (I've heard socks work better) or gowns.
    TTC since September '08 After 2 m/c - lap for stage 3-4 endo Oct '09 Bravelle w/Ovidrel trigger - iui on 11/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • One of those kits that have nail clippers, thermometer, hair brush. They come in handy. Definitely suggest a bouncer, they come in very handy. Muslin swaddle blanket is a must have. Baby loves hers! Very light for when the LO starts to use her hands and holds on to it, and breathable so you don't have to worry about over wrapping her.

Don't forget there are a few things you'll need for yourself postpartum.

• We've gotten a lot of use out of newborn size sleepers- the ones with the feet and snaps up and down.  We tried the gowns, but if we have to undress her in the middle of the night, getting them over her head is not fun for any of us!  We also like that we don't have to worry about her feet getting cold (she always kicks her way out of the gowns!)

We love the Fisher Price Rock and Play Sleeper as well- she sleeps in it for naps and at night and it's very easy to move up and down stairs if need be.  

We've also gotten a lot of use out of a diaper caddy and are buying another one to keep downstairs.  It's nice to have everything you need for a changing in one spot.

For me, I've lived in nursing tanks (love the Target ones!) and comfy sweats.

Good luck to you!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"