2nd Trimester

Its a religious thing?

Is having godparents for your baby a religious thing? I was lurking on another board and some one said "we arent religious so we arent picking godparents" I thought it was more main stream and not so religious now... WDYT?
photo b6d12d4a-3c41-4686-a0af-8cf854f979e4_zpsffdadc4c.jpg Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Its a religious thing?

• I can only speak for myself - we're catholic and the role of godparents is to help raise the child(ren) in the faith.  I have no idea what the role of "godparent" would be otherwise.  
  • We are Jewish and the role of a godparent for us is some one who will raise our kids in the event of our death. But its not really religious...
    photo b6d12d4a-3c41-4686-a0af-8cf854f979e4_zpsffdadc4c.jpg Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageDaniLorello:
    We are Jewish and the role of a godparent for us is some one who will raise our kids in the event of our death. But its not really religious...

This is what I've always heard. Sometimes it's just an honorary thing.

• Since DH is in the military, everyone over here has godparents to raise their children in case both parents die. We aren't religious at all, it's all for legal reasons.
  • We are Catholic. Our godparents are a religious thing. They help raise our children in the faith. For us, they are not necessarily the people who would take our children in case of death.
  • imageAPTR:
    I can only speak for myself - we're catholic and the role of godparents is to help raise the child(ren) in the faith.  I have no idea what the role of "godparent" would be otherwise.  

This is me, also.

• imageknorton:
    We are Catholic. Our godparents are a religious thing. They help raise our children in the faith. For us, they are not necessarily the people who would take our children in case of death.

this, but I do believe traditionally in the past, the role of (Catholic) god-parents were typically the guardians if there were a death. 

• I've heard both definitions -- the legal (orphaned children) and religious ones. But often non-religious parents don't have godparents for their children. We're not planning any.
  • I am a godparent to my bff's daughter.  She was raised Catholic but they now attend a Methodist church.  I've always been Methodist. 

For us, it seems more symbolic.  I 'watch over' Evie but just to love her and make her feel special.  All 3 of their kids have different godparents and I think it's just a nice way of sharing your love.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm not Catholic but folks in our church still will occassionally have godparents who help their children grown in their faith.  I'm not anyone's godparent but have been asked by two separate people (SIL and a friend) to be their children's guardian if they both were to pass away.
    BabyFetus Ticker imageimage
  • I have been wondering about this as well.  My question is this.  When you have more than one child and they have different God Parents, if you believe the God Parents become their guardians then the kids get split up right?  I wouldn't like that!  Oh and what happens if you chose a friend and your relationship with that friend ends?

For us, it is more of a faith thing.  My oldest son's God Parents are my sister and DH's brother.  My younger son's God Parents are my brother and my best friend.  With the baby, I am thinking of having my nieces be Co-Godmothers.  I am kind of disappointed that we asked my BIL and my friend.  They just aren't that involved in their lives!  

• I still thought it was a religious thing.
  • My husband and I are Godparents, but not in a religious way. We are responsible for our friend's son in the even that something may happen to them. We'll be signing legal documents in the next month or so.
  • I am somewhat religious, we have choosen godparents, and in my family it is an honour and we choose people who will help love support and shape our children not only religiously but in all aspects so it is a little religious but not completley.
  • We have asked my brother-in-law and sister-in-law to be the baby's guardians if anything happens to us, but we wouldn't use the term godparents because of its religious connotations.
  • I thought it was a Catholic thing. We're going to write who gets nugget in our will.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Godparents, traditionally are for religious purposes.  There role is to guide the child(ren) spiritually in their religious faith if the parents are unable to do so.  They have absolutely no legal standing to raise the child(ren) in the event of the parents death.

A Legal Guardian is who takes care of the child(ren) in the event of parents death and legal documents must be filed.

We are not religious and therefore our children will not have godparents.  We will file the necessary legal documents for guardianship in the event we die.

imageimageimageimage
  • My parents were not religious so we did not have godparents.

They did specify in their wills who would get custody of us if something happened.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Lurking from 1st tri - In the Catholic faith we chose godparents for our children at baptism
  • imagekristin2t:
    Since DH is in the military, everyone over here has godparents to raise their children in case both parents die. We aren't religious at all, it's all for legal reasons.

wouldn't they be legal guardians then?

To me, Godparents represent the religious "upbringing" of the child.  Legal guardians would be used in the event of the parents dying.  A child can have one set of Godparents & one set of Legal Guardians recognized in a legal sense...

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Leah - 6.28.09

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lorelei - 4.23.11

Books Read:
    2013 - 4
    2012 - 50 2011 - 47 2010 - 57
    2009 - 71 2008 - 108 2007 - 33
  • imagemamafoxX2:

imageAPTR:
    I can only speak for myself - we're catholic and the role of godparents is to help raise the child(ren) in the faith.  I have no idea what the role of "godparent" would be otherwise.  

This is me, also.

Me too, except I'm Lutheran.  

We also have people picked out who would raise the kids in the event of our death.  They are completely different than the Godparents we chose.

DD1 - 12.25.05
    (m/c 1.17.07, m/c 5.15.07)
    DS - 03.15.08
    DD2 - 12.03.09
    DD3 - 3.28.11
  • We have a godmother and my husband and I are agnostic and Buddhist. Though for Religion it is raising the child in the faith, now a days Godparents take on a role of an extra loving aunt or uncle. My best friend and my son's Godmom also is in our wills as the trustee to our son if something should happen. Someone to help take care of him if we were to die.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
  • I've always thought Godparents were a religious thing. That if something happened to the parents then the Godparents took care of them and raised them to be a part of the church.  We asked my BIL if he would take Nugget if something happened to us, but we aren't assigning him the title of Godparent
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • imageGreenBride624:

imagekristin2t:
    Since DH is in the military, everyone over here has godparents to raise their children in case both parents die. We aren't religious at all, it's all for legal reasons.

wouldn't they be legal guardians then?

To me, Godparents represent the religious "upbringing" of the child.  Legal guardians would be used in the event of the parents dying.  A child can have one set of Godparents & one set of Legal Guardians recognized in a legal sense...

This has always been my view on it, as well.

• It's both.

Godparent's can be a religious thing, as in helping raise a child in the communal faith, and also a practical thing, as in who will raise your children in the event you pass away.

DH and I are Catholic, but my family in particular is multi-faith, so we tend to see godparenting in both lights.  It should be noted that my Godmother took over raising me for a while when my parents got divorced so that my mother could get back on her feet.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker White Knot image
    Strawberry's Pumkin; Grown just for her, started on her birth day.
  • This is so crazy. I never thought of it as a religious thing- even though God is right in the word! My family is not really religious and I do have godparents. They are my parents best friends from college.  

I suppose the original purpose was more of a religious thing but I think it's fine to do whatever you are comfortable with. 

• (Excuse my lurking from the Name Board).

Godparents are supposed to be there for the religious upbringing of the child. In churches that baptize infants, they stand and promise to support the parents and encourage the child to grow in faith.

Some people who aren't particularly religious still go through the ceremony of infant baptism and ask godparents to stand as a way of honoring their role in the child's life.

A non-religious godparent is an oxymoron. It's just the term being used incorrectly. Maybe because it has more affection attached to it, people choose to use it instead of "legal guardian," or some other way of identifying loved ones as important people in the child's life. It's like a child referring to a family friend as "Aunt" or "Uncle." The term is incorrect, but it gives the family a way of communicating important people in the child's life.

VOTE on my Name List

Pregnancy Ticker

• In my husband's family it is a huge deal and yes there is a bit about religion when they stand up in church and say we will support the child's faith but as a godmother I can say I have done nothing of the sort nor as my husband done anything of the sort nor has any of his realtives taken that kind of role in their godchild's life.  In their family it is more, someone that always sends the god child a card on a holiday or presents for important events.  We havent really decided what we are going to do because we don't go to church and I refuse to lie about anything to get my kid baptized/godparents so it shall be interesting haha.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageAPTR:

This.

Godparents are there at the baptism and promise to help raise the child in the faith, in this case Catholic. It's obviously up to you what you do but if you aren't religious and aren't getting your baby baptized I'm not sure how the whole thing would work. Do you just tell them they're the godparents? Or do you baptize even if you aren't religious?  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Anniversary
  • I'm a non-denominational Christian, and we are choosing a godmother (she's not married, when she is, her husband will be godfather) to help raise our children to love Jesus. We've chosen my parents to be legal guardians should something happen to us until our godmother gets married. Then she will also be named their guardian.
  • We are not religious and we have godparents for our daughter.
  • That is a legal guardian.  
  • imageChocolateCupcakes:
    That is a legal guardian.  

no its not, a godparent is someone you pick to help raise your child in faith ( traditionally)

My best friend and her husband will be our godparents, if something were to happen to us, my mother and stepdad would take them to raise.

• I see a lot of people saying they chose godparents so they could take care of their children if they pass. However, being a godparent isn't recognized as a legal guardian in the eyes of the court. So unless you name them in a legal document as being legal guardians in the event of your death, other family members could in fact get custody of your children.

• My mom mentioned this to me the other day. I think God parents are a great thing to have to include people in your child's life and it's a great way to show someone you appreciate them. You don't have to be religious, imho. Although I do think it is associated with the catholic religion. (?) That's what my mom told me anyway.

BTW, adorable frenchies! I have one and he's the best!

• We're doing non-religious Godparents, sort of as a back up. The idea is to have some one who'd like a favorite Auntie or the like, some one who has a special place in the child's life. We're also picking an extra "Goddess-mother" who's going to help support us and the baby in their religious up bringing ("Goddess-mother" since we're Wiccan)

To me, it's more about finding ways of solidifying your community around the child than it is about religion.  Our Godmother is a Christian and our Godfather is an Athiest.

• I didn't read the responses but for me Godparents ARE religious. And i think often "non-religious" ppl choose Godparents bc they would be the ppl that would take custody of their kids should something happen to them.

For us, our Godparents are different than the ppl who would take custody of our children should something happen to us.

• AND HOLY COW...HOW OLD IS THIS THREAD?!?!?!
  • The way I see it, and always have, is that "godparents" are religious- appointed to spiritually guide the child, "guardians" are appointed in case of death and have nothing to do with religion.

We will have BIL & SIL added to our will as baby's guardians in case of our death. They will not be named or called godparents in any way as there is no religious significance.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagejkylie:
    AND HOLY COW...HOW OLD IS THIS THREAD?!?!?!

This. Seriously, how is a thread from JUNE still being bumped up?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"