Multiples

ladies who pumped for their twins...

What pump in particular did you use? I know Madela is highly recommended among many women. Which one in particular did you use individually? What is your review for your pump?

All advice on pumps is welcome! I want to make sure I get a good pump because my boys are REALLY preemie and I need to bring milk to the NICU for them and I also want to store some as well if possible.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: ladies who pumped for their twins...

• I got the Medela freestyle.  I like it, except that it's a little loud, but I have my own office so it doesn't bother me.  I've heard good things about the Pump In Style Advanced.  That one is a little larger than the Freestyle, but I've heard it's great.
  • I rented the Medela symphony.  It was super powerful.  It was rather large, but I just used it for the first two months when I was at home.  I did not pump once I went back to work, even though I thought I would, so I was really happy that I only rented at first
    Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • I also used a Medela Symphony. While mine were in the NICU the hospital gave me one for free to use and then after they came home I continued to rent it. I really wanted the hospital grade pump since I needed to keep my supply up for both babies. 
  • I rented the Medela symphony from the hospital. The lactation nurse told me i would need a hospital grade pump in the beginning to keep up my supply then transition to a smaller pump like the Pump in Style later. I am glad that i rented one, b/c unfortunately my supply dwindled quickly and we became EFF. I am glad i did not waste my money buying one. I would recommend renting first to make sure everything goes well.
  • I'm using a Madela Symphony at the hospital too and they are doing the same for us. They are sending us home with one for free for as long as the boys are in the NICU. I'm going to use that until the boys come home. I was just wanting to know for if my supply lasts and everything goes good, eventually we will buy one for at home.

Thanks for all your opinions so far! :)

• I used the Pump In Style Advanced. I started pumping about 5 days after my DDs were born because tandem feeding wasn't working at home and became an EPer for 8 months. I never had any supply issues and if traveling, it was great to have the nice looking shoulder bag which didn't scream PUMP. Good luck and I hope your boys grow quickly and can be home with you soon.
  • My girls were preemie.  I rented/used the hospital pump... it was a Medela Symphony.  I loved it.

Hope your boys are home soon.

TTC for 12 years. m/c 2009. BFP on New Year's 2010. Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I EP and use Medela PISA (the 279.99 model). Its awesome. Drains my boobs in about 15-20 mins. I get about 10 oz every 4 hours. We are almost to 6 mons and it hasnt failed me yet. I also take it everywhere, its been bumped shaked and tossed in cars and is still in one piece!

love it!

• I used the hospital's Medela Symphony for the 6 weeks my girls were in the NICU and then started using my own Medela Pump In Style Advanced.  I exclusively pump and at first was pumping 8-10 times a day and am now pumping about 5x/day and it still works great.  It's not quite as good as the Symphony, but after 6 weeks my supply was pretty much built up anyway.  I think the Pump In Style Advanced is a good alternative to renting from the hospital.  

Hope your boys are doing great and will be home soon.

• I use a medela PISA. It's fine and works well, but what I'd WISH I'd done, is rent the Medela Symphony and get a Freestyle. The symphony would have been better at establishing my supply, and the freestyle would make pumping so much easier. I hate not being able to do anything else while I pump.
  • imageJaimeLiann1987:

I'm using a Madela Symphony at the hospital too and they are doing the same for us. They are sending us home with one for free for as long as the boys are in the NICU. I'm going to use that until the boys come home. I was just wanting to know for if my supply lasts and everything goes good, eventually we will buy one for at home.

Thanks for all your opinions so far! :)

I used the Symphony in the hosp, and rented one for home.  It is a PITA to take with you if you pump out of the house at all.  But, it's doable.  Also, renting the pump isn't cheap, but they did bring the price down a bit for each additional month I used it.  They are super expensive to buy, but might be able to resell it when you're done? 

Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I had the medela PISA. I (almost) exclusively pumped for my boys and produced a ton of milk with it. I didn't need to supplement for almost 9 months. Make sure you get the correct sized flangees to fit your body. That was my initial problem with it.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • This isn't really about what type to get but I would suggest calling your insurance company to see if they will cover the cost of a breast pump. I gave mine a call a few weeks ago and was shocked to find out that they will cover a breast pump as long as I get a prescription for it from the Dr.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageMoMandA:
    ...Make sure you get the correct sized flangees to fit your body. That was my initial problem with it.

I had this same issue...

I used the Medela Symphony in the hospital and then bought the PISA for at home.  I BF for the first two months but then started EPing at that point.  I had (still dealing with) a yeast infection issue and incorrect flange size issue - my LC helped me out with both.  My LC was able to get me 1 month free rent again of the Medela Symphony because with my infection she said that that pump would be a little bit "gentler".  I have a low supply issue but have had good results with both the Symphony & the PISA.

Good luck on your journey!!

• imagetxdaisygal:
    I use a medela PISA. It's fine and works well, but what I'd WISH I'd done, is rent the Medela Symphony and get a Freestyle. The symphony would have been better at establishing my supply, and the freestyle would make pumping so much easier. I hate not being able to do anything else while I pump.

Get thee a pumping bra! Pumping bras are the only reason I'm still pumping (and yes it hasn't even been 2 months for me yet).

OP- I rented the Symphony for home use. I have a PIS but I haven't used it yet since I still have the Symphony for a few more weeks. I'm so lazy I'm considering continuing to rent the Symphony and have a pump on each floor of my house.

• I EP'd for a year...while my girls were in the NICU (30 weekers, there for 87 days), during the time I was at the NICU, I used a Medela Symphony, but at night at home and for the rest of the first year of their life, I used a PISA (Pump In Style Advanced) by MEdela...HIGHLY recommend it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"