1st Trimester

Flu Shot While Pregnant?

Yesterday my doctor told me to go ahead and get a flu shot; she said it is very important for pregnant women. Today they are offering it for free at my workplace.

The problem is that I normally don't get the flu shot. The few times that I have gotten it in the past, I have gotten horribly sick from it (as in, actually got a cold/flu immediately afterward.) As opposed to other vaccines, which I think are important, I honestly don't believe in the effectiveness of the flu shot because I feel that the flu virus mutates so fast, by the time they've developed the 2010 flu shot and distributed it, the virus has already mutated to the point where the vaccine isn't that effective.

Anyway, I don't feel that comfortable getting the flu shot. I don't think they've done enough research on how it affects babies and children, or you while you are pregnant. I've been trying to get pregnant for three years now, and am finally pregnant after IVF - is getting the flu shot really worth the risk of something going wrong because of it?

Has anyone done any research on this topic? What are your feelings about it? I know that a lot of doctors recommend it, but I also personally know a lot of doctors who don't agree with it. Thoughts?

Re: Flu Shot While Pregnant?

• I have a friend that just got her Phd in emerging infectious diseases (she was VERY excited about the Swine Flu) and she highly suggests that pregnant women get the flu shot.  Our immune systems get compromised more easily and I just wouldn't risk it.  I got my first flu shot last year, right after having my daughter. 

Also, the flu shot won't make you sick.  It can make you feel off for a couple of days, but if you got the actual flu or other virus, it was a coincidence, I think. 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm really glad that you posted this topic.  I was scheduled for my flu shot last week but had to postpone because I came down with a cold.  Now I'm having second thoughts about it.  We too were trying for a while and finally conceived through IUI and I'm nervous about the effects of the flu shot on the baby.  I've never had a flu shot so I'm really not sure what type of reaction I might have.  Both my OB and primary Dr are telling me that I have to get the flu shot.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Here is a link to the mayo clinic page about this topic - https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/influenza/AN00651

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well, I don't agree at all that there is not enough research on how it affects babies and children and I don't know where you would have gotten that idea, but I won't argue that point with you. I will tell you that if you get the flu when you're pregnant, which is more likely because your immune system is compromised, you will be much more likely to wind up in the hospital. A serious respiratory illness is no joke when your lung capacity is already half what it was because a baby is squashing all your internal organs. If it makes you feel any better, I got the shot during both of my last pregnancies and my kids are fine.
  • H1N1 ESPECIALLY affects pregnant women more severely than the rest of the population.  By the end of last year's flu season, it was determined that 5% of pregnant women who were HOSPITALIZED (not diagnosed) with H1N1, died of the virus.  5 in 100 women.....Here is a link from the Journal of the American Medical Association backing that up:

https://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/303/15/1517 

That alone is enough to make me want to get it.   I am simply not willing to risk my life when there is a vaccine available.  As a pregnant woman, you want to make sure you do not get a vaccine with the live virus, and if you don't get that, then you should not have any major side effects.

I can certainly understand your hesitation, after everything you have been through to get pregnant.....there have been NO studies that have shown any adverse effects that the flu vaccine has had on the baby.  Some doctors might tell you to wait until 2nd tri to get the vaccine, but that is not bc of any risk to the baby, more because you are more likely to m/c in the 1st trimester in general and people can incorrectly blame the vaccine.

Anyway, it is, of course, a personal decision, but FOR ME, I am not willing to risk my life over something as minor as a vaccine.  My older sister is an epidemiologist for the CDC and she has been pregnant through two flu seasons and has received the flu vaccine both times, and also given the vaccine to her children.

imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
    M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
    BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

• My dr told me to get the flu shot as well and she said to get the mercury free flu shot and that is what I got. This was the first time I have receiving the flu shot 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The flu vaccine this year includes H1N1.  H1N1 is dangerous in pregnant women and has an especially high mortality for pregnant women.  This is enough reason for me to get it.

My doctor wants to wait until after the 1st trimester before giving it though so thats what I'm doing.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageangb77:

Yesterday my doctor told me to go ahead and get a flu shot; she said it is very important for pregnant women. Today they are offering it for free at my workplace.

The problem is that I normally don't get the flu shot. The few times that I have gotten it in the past, I have gotten horribly sick from it (as in, actually got a cold/flu immediately afterward.) As opposed to other vaccines, which I think are important, I honestly don't believe in the effectiveness of the flu shot because I feel that the flu virus mutates so fast, by the time they've developed the 2010 flu shot and distributed it, the virus has already mutated to the point where the vaccine isn't that effective.

Anyway, I don't feel that comfortable getting the flu shot. I don't think they've done enough research on how it affects babies and children, or you while you are pregnant. I've been trying to get pregnant for three years now, and am finally pregnant after IVF - is getting the flu shot really worth the risk of something going wrong because of it?

Has anyone done any research on this topic? What are your feelings about it? I know that a lot of doctors recommend it, but I also personally know a lot of doctors who don't agree with it. Thoughts?

Hope this persepctive helps: I was pregnant this time last year when the Swine Flu was huge and it was a VERY hard decision for me to make. I was baout 25-26 weeks pregnant this time of year and because I am prone to illnesses (meaning I have a history of getting sick often), I chose to get both an influenza a and swine flu vac. I am SO GLAD that I did. If you get sick with either flu, pregnant women can develop pnemonia very easily which is what lands them in the hospital and becomes life threatening. I hear your concern about trying for so long to get pregnant but in my mind, your health comes first. If you're not healthy, your baby isn't healthy.

• I would worry about what the possible effects of NOT having the vaccine would have on your unborn baby. People forget that influenza still kills TONS of people each year and it is the combination of influenza and the resulting pneumonia that can occur secondary to it that is deadly. High fevers, dehydration and infection can be much more risky to your baby than the vaccine. Also, if you get the injection it is a dead vaccine, no way possible you could get influenza from it....you must have gotten a different viral illness around the same time as a coincidence.
    ~ My Crazy, Beautiful Life with 3~ Lachlan,Vito and Willa Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I got mine this week.  I don't want to risk harming my babies.  The chance of flu is MUCH greater without the flu shot, and the idea of having a terrible fever for days with the flu worries me too much.  Research supports the flu shot and its effectiveness.  The decision is yours of course, and you may do as you like, but for me, it was an easy decision. 
  • Thanks for the advice, everyone. I guess, like a lot of the previous posts mentioned, I would feel a lot more comfortable waiting to do anything like this until after the 1st trimester is over. Unfortunately for me, by the time my 1st trimester is over, it will be December already. I know the most active time for flu season is November - January.
  • I asked about a flue shot when I went to the doctor to confirm pregnancy.  He didn't hesitate, and I had the shot that day.
  • I got the flu shot 2 days before I found out I was pregnant, and it wasn't the preservative-free one. It wouldn't have changed my mind otherwise.

Unfortunately, when one says they got the flu right after they got the shot, it really means that they have had it brewing in their systems and it just so happen that it coincided with the flu shot. It's important to remember there are many types of viruses out there that can cause the flu. The vaccine contains the anti-flu for only 3 selected viruses that is predicted to make the most appearance. If you got some cold after you got the flu shot, just think your symptoms would have been much worse if you didn't have the vaccine.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • A lot of doctors seem to recommend waiting until after the first trimester. I am not sure why. If you read our boards, and other boards, a lot of people are saying that.

From https://www.pamf.org/flu/preg.html 

Many experts (including the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists) believe the flu shot may be given in all three trimesters of pregnancy. Some physicians prefer to wait until after the first trimester 

People certainly seem to feel passionately about this issue! I am surprised that no one else feels nervous about getting this besides just me and the one other poster on this board.

• Lots of pregnant women are nervous about the flu shot. In fact, I'd say that MOST are. But most have also done their research, as you can see by the responses, and have decided that getting the shot = less risk than NOT getting the shot.

The flu shot CAN NOT give you the flu. The shot contains dead viruses. If you got sick after the shot in the past, it was a coiincidence. The only side effect most people have is soreness at the injection site for a day. The shot contains three viruses that medical researchers have predicted will be the most active strains in the coming season - this is how it is manufactured every year. This year's strains are H1N1, H3N2, and Influenza B. This does mean, however, that you can still catch a strain of the flu that is not contained in the shot. But you will be protected from the three most prevalent strains.

Pregnant women are immuno-suppressed. The CDC, AMA, and most doctors strongly urge the flu shot for pregnant women and other immuno-suppressed populations because of how easily we can catch viruses and how easily complications can develop. The flu itself is dangerous to a fetus because of the fever - complications are dangerous to both mom and baby.

One of the reasons I see most often for getting the shot is that the immunity is passed to your baby and will protect him/her for the first 6 months of his/her life, when he/she can not get vaccines and is highly susceptible to viruses.

You seem to not be on solid ground either way, so I suggest you take some time to do research and talk to more doctors. This may sound funny coming from someone posting on a message board, but don't listen to alarmist hype you read on the internet. Get the facts from reliable medical sources only and make your decision from there. You can get the shot in 1st tri, but if you choose not to, December is not too late. Better late than never. The mayo clinic's site posted above is good, as is the CDC's web site: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm

GL.

ETA: You probably deduced this from my post, but after I did my research and talked to several docs, I got my shot last week. I had no side effects aside from the sore arm. I have never gotten the shot before, but saw no reason not to give myself the extra immunity while pregnant.

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • I got my flu shot the same day I got my BFP.  It is very important for you to get it.  And as PP mentioned, if you get sick immediately after the shot, it's a fluke not the shot.  I'm a medic, and see this a lot.  Ask the people giving you the shot, they'll be able to give you more info that may set your mind at ease.
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It also takes two weeks for it to be effective and if you have symptoms of the flu in that window you need to call your doctor/midwife IMMEDIATELY so they can monitor you and perhaps get you on Tamiflu. I personally would rather get it now before November and have it be effective for the majority of flu season than risk it and wait until December when you are out of 1st tri. Yeah, you may still get the flu but at least you've protected yourself as much as you can.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • it was mandatory at my work. I work in a hospital :-)

they may offer the nasal one too....def get the shot. the nasal one is a live virus or something and a no no for preg woman.

we were trying at the time (and I was actually preg but didnt know yet), so Im glad I brought that up to her. Not that I like the idea of the nasal one anyway.

• I got mine yesterday at the OB's office. I had a weird physical reaction to it but I'm still glad I did it.

• I am 6 weeks right now and never gotten a flu shot before even though I am a high school teacher and around kids all the time.  In my seven years of teaching, I have had only 2 sick days.  I am nervous about the shot because I don't know what side effects I will get and when to get it.  My husband says he'll go with me and get it as well since he knows I hate needles.  My 1st doctor's appt is Friday so I can get more info then.  Any good advice anyone  here can give me?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
  • I only have a few weeks to go in my pregnancy, and the shot just came up a few weeks ago with my doctor. I have decided not to get it as I am so close, and just recovering from a cold so I didn't want to get it when I was already compromised.

It's obviously not an easy decision. Had it been just the regular flu shot, I probably would have had it since I've never had a bad reaction before but the two times I've had the flu were AWFUL. But the H1N1 gave me pause. They don't study the effects of these on pregnant women other than I think one tiny study for H1N1 vaccine last year, and I just don't want to be in the experimental group. And there are sites with quite a bit of anecdotal evidence of women miscarrying or having pre-term labor just after a shot containing the H1N1. This is NOT scientific evidence, but it is out there. And could be totally coincidental, but it did weigh into my decision.

I just can't find the shot separated here. So I think it is a risk either way, like so many things, and you have to decide what is best for you. I know I'm lucky in a sense since I am almost at the end, and it is a tougher decision early on for a lot of women. But if you decide not to get it, and you get any flu like symptoms especially fever, go to the doctor right away and get treated with Tamiflu! Good luck in your decision--whatever you choose will be right for you.

• I'm 35 weeks preggers and just recently got the H1N1/Flu conbination vaccine.  I do feel it's more of a risk not getting the vaccine than getting it.  It is highly recommended for pregnant women.  If something were to happen it would not be caused from getting the shot.  Just DO NOT get the nasal spray.  After the shot, my baby boy is still moving like crazy in my belly!
  • I totally agree with you. I am 32 weeks pregnant and was also told by my doctors to get the flu shot. No way I am going to do that. I am originally from Poland and our government didn't even order or purchased these vaccinations last year because the research were not complete. If  you were in Poland the doctors wouldn't even allow you to take the shot when you're pregnant. That's their first question they ask you.. if you are pregnant. If you are, forget they will give it to you.

I also personally know people who work for big baby food and pharmaceutical products manufacturing companies and work with doctors on daily basis. They told me, that I should never agree to this shot if I am pregnant.

Same as you, I got it ones 3 years ago and got sick like I've never been before. I am not taking it, especially now when I am pregnant. There are other ways you can protect yourself from getting sick. Just be careful and if anything... drink TNI noni juice, it will boost your immune system and you can also use natural oils like for example Young Living. Just be careful because some of them cannot be used during pregnancy. I am using Lavender and although people say that Peppermint is not recommended i had used it few times a day rubbing on my throat just recently when I had a little sore throat. I think if you use a little, it is not going to harm you or your baby. And drink home made lemonade (lot of Vitamine C) and you will be fine. 

All those vaccinations are just a way for doctors and pharmaceutical companies to get bonuses and make money. Why would you release some medicine and give it to pregnant women if you know you don't have enough research to proof that its going to be working without harming people? 

• I received the flu shot at about 8 weeks at my OBGYN's recommendation.  I work for a visiting nurse association, and they heavily promote the flu shot.  It is true your immune system is weakened when you are pregnant, so even if you tend to avoid the flu most seasons you could be more susceptible now.  I would discuss your concerns with your MD and ultimately do what makes you feel comfortable.  I agree with a previous post, though, that on most of these boards the consensus seems to lean towards getting the flu shot.  Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was never big on getting the flu shot either at work but I got a cold while I was pregnant last year and it was very hard to breath that it scared me so I received the mecury free H1N1 shot from my obstetrician (The ones given out at my work were not mecury free).  My son is now 5 months and is growing beautifully.  My sister is now pregnant as well and gets terrible colds easily so I am going to make sure she gets vaccinated as well.  I know, it is a scary decision but I trust my doctors and they made me feel confident that getting the vaccine is the right choice to take.
  • Go for it, I'm 11 weeks and just got my flu shot yesterday

I work in the NICU/PICU and long term pediatric care with infants who are severely medically fragile and developmentally delayed, unfortunately many of the babies are there because of something that could have been prevented so I am EXTREMELY cautious with everything. I had never gotten the vaccine before but as soon as my colleagues and OB suggested it, I went for it. Aside from the usual 1st trimester complaints, and some soreness at the injection site, I felt fine. Overall- Drs and providers are not legally or ethically able to offer you or any other patients a type of healthcare service where the risks outweigh the benefits. So keep that in mind.

• I also am concerned about getting the flu shot while I am pregnant. THAT IS WHY I AM NOT GOING TO GET IT! I feel as though it is not worth it for me to put anything that i dont normally have into my body while I am pregnant. I have gotten the flu shot once and got horribly sick afterwards. I feel the shot lowers your immune system for just long enough for something to take hold and then you get sick. Why should I take the chance and get sick?  As long as I take precautions to stay away from people who are sick (or wear a mask around them) and wash my hands I will be fine and so will my son. I will not risk putting the flu shot into our bodies just because my doctor and the CDC says its safe. How do they know that the shot they created just last year will be safe for anyone, let alone pregnant women? It's a risk I am not willing to take.
  • make sure they know you're pregnant. Ask for a preservative free shot and one that doesn't have a live virus. You'll do fine.

I had my first flu shot at 14 weeks. My arm hurt for two days after but me and the pea are fine. The good news is the baby will be immune for the first  6 months too :)

• From what I've heard, it's important to get the flu shot for you for the reasons everyone else has mentioned but also for your baby. He or she can't get that vaccine until six months or so (if I remember correctly) and if you get the shot, your baby will be covered once born. If I did the math correctly, you're due about mid summer? So that'll cover him through the cold/flu season next year until he can get the shot himself. At least, that's what my mom, a family practitioner, told me. I never had the option of getting the shot, she always just held me down and stuck me and I always got sick after, like you. This year, though, I didn't. I had just gotten over a 2-week cold about a week earlier, so I was nervous, but everything worked out ok. I would have gotten it for sure anyway since my baby's due Jan 7 and I know tons of people will want to see him and hold him and I want him to be protected.

My sister in law didn't get the flu shot with any of her three children because she was supposedly told that it was a bad idea (she comes up with crazy stuff all the time) and she was horrified when our other sister in law got the shots while pregnant with her two (both perfect) and now me. 

Again, your decision, but maybe something to talk to your dr about. Get his/her opinion and thoughts and go from there. Good luck!

• I got the flu shot for the first time this year, and the only reason I got it was because I'm pregnant. If you get the injection, and not the nasal spray, it is an inactive virus, so it should not affect your baby at all. However, getting the flu could. I would recommend it just to protect your baby. I did not get sick at all from it. You just need to make sure to not get the nasal spray, as that is an active virus and is not recommended for pregnant women.
    Photobucket Lilypie Second Birthday tickers]
  • I am 31 weeks pregnant and 2 weeks ago my OB discussed me getting the flu shot. We had had prior discussions and she knew up front how I felt.

My history..I have been working with children in some capacity since I was 16 and that included a year in a daycare (the sickest year of my life).

I have not had the flue in 15 years and I am in my 14th year of teaching.  Except for an occasional cold I stay healthy and well, even during flu season. I have never had a flu shot and don't plan on having one.  I told my doctor I would consider the shot if I could get the single dose, mercury free one but after 2 weeks of trying noone could get it for me. 

In the end, I know my body and I did not have a peace about it.

Each winter I up my Vitamin D3 intake and am currently on 2000IUs thru the winter, since the lack of Vit D3 is what affects our immunity most in the winter time. 

My doctor said that was great and said since I have worked with children for so long now she was not concerned. 

I so appreciated her respect for my decision. 

Now, if my profession and risk level were different, aka working in a hosptial, nursing home, etc..I am pretty sure I would be getting the shot.

I did my research, weighed my options and prayed about it and I am completely comfortable with my decision.

Oh and I have also been sure to keep my caffeine intake to one cup of coffee a day or none, since I know that access caffeine can affect my immunity (that from just years of experience)

I hope this is helpful and whatever decision you make needs to be yours. 

• I'm like you I never ever get the flu shot, my mid wife said she normally never recommended it until last year.  She said she had a patient who contracted swine flu and she had to deliver early and she almost died from it.  Being preggers our immune system is really low and we are treated like the elderly.  I got my shot last Friday and I will admit, I did not feel good after getting it, I was a little nauseous and my arm hurt for about 2 days.  My doc said since I am delivering in Feb. This will help protect the baby from contracting it since the baby can not have vaccinations till she is 6 months old. 
  • I'm with the naysayers, who appear to be the minority here on this thread.  This is such a personal choice and whatever you do will ultimately have to be your decision, but please make sure to follow your instincts and do your own research before blindly following the advice of doctors who are taught throughout their careers to believe without pause the advice of the pharmaceutical companies who's first objective, let's face it, is money.  There is not enough evidence supporting the flu shot's 1) efficacy or 2) safety (pregnant or not).  The FACT is that the shot is filled with so many toxic additives (thimerosal, formaldehyde, etc) that can cause much more damage than the flu itself.  I think our bodies, if we keep our immune systems healthy with good nutrition and vit D3, do an exceptional job of fighting the flu on their own.

Here are two wonderful articles you may want to start your research with.  Dr. Mercola is a traditional doctor who is trained and well-versed in naturopathic medicine as well - you get the best of both worlds with him.

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/06/08/should-pregnant-women-avoid-all-vaccines.aspx

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/01/05/An-Expert-Explains-the-Flu-Vaccine-Deception-and-the-Swine-Flu-Hoax.aspx

I'm sure to some the information in these articles may sound far-fatched or much like a conspiracy-theory, so let me leave you with this quote:

?A truth?s initial commotion is directly proportional to how deeply the lie was believed? When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.?
    --Dresden James

Good luck!
  • I'm 31 weeks today and I have declined to get the flu shot a cpl times now.  My reasoning is that I never get the flu, or get sick hardly so I dont like the idea of putting a virus dead or not into my body to prevent something my body already does a good job at fighting off anyways.  I dont think that my decision is the right one for every one but it's right for me.  DH and I have discussed all the vaccines and such, this one just has always felt unnecessary to me and I dont want to add those extra chemicals and such into my body.  
  • I am also a high school teacher and although I have not gotten sick recently either (actually my students know I am almost never absent) I decided it was best for me and my baby to get the flu shot this year.  With so many students breathing on me, blowing their noses and handing in their germ filled papers I did not want to only trust the hand sanitizer that I keep on my desk to protect me. Ick! The other reason I got it was because it will also protect my baby after she is born from all of those well meaning relatives and friends who want to come breathe on us.  My doctor also suggested that I and my husband get the DPT booster aka the whooping cough vaccine.   However, this won't be given until after I give birth.  I think that the peace of mind far out weighs the risks at this point. 
  • Im 35 wks. too with a baby boy, how cool!  Anyway, u did get it huh.  I heard that in the last month u shouldnt..that is why I am still up in the air about it.  Ill ask my dr. about it today.  Congrats on being prego. with a boy=)
  • I would definitely recommend you get the flu shot, after your first trimester. Although it will be December, the flu season is October to February with the highest concentration being seen during November to January. This is because everyone gets together for the holidays and more germs are spread around. If they are offering the vaccine for free at your job that probably means you are in a position that puts you at greater risk of contracting the flu virus. I work in the health care field and have already had mine, with no problems or side effects. My arm was a little sore the next day, as others have said it is impossible to get the flu from the flu vaccine because it is a dead virus. Its like saying you would get Hepatitis from the Hepatitis B vaccine. If you still don't feel comfortable getting it, you could make sure everyone else in your household is vaccinated to help protect you. But I would still suggest you get one!
  • Every list has to have a naysayer, and I suppose it has got to be me. Let me start off by saying that my husband is a chiropractor certified in childhood neurodevelopmental disorders so I am not just making remarks off the cuff here.There are a number of things that can crop up in a person's health months even years after birth that seem random but could actually stem from what happened to them while in the womb.

I want to address the number of messages about people getting the flu anyway after receiving the shot. This is actually how a vaccine is designed to work. It will lower your immunity for a few days to a few months, which opens the door to other illnesses while your body builds your immunity back up. Getting sick right after a vaccination is not an uncommon side effect. For more info on how this works, take a look at https://www.mercola.com/article/vaccines/immune_suppression.htm

Next, if you were to read the product monograph of the vaccine you will be administered, it will likely mention it has not been tested on pregnant or nursing women. For example, for Vaxigrip (https://www.vaccineshoppecanada.com/secure/pdfs/ca/vaxigrip_e.pdf):

Animal reproduction studies have not been conducted with VAXIGRIP?. It is not known whether VAXIGRIP? can cause fetal harm when administered to a pregnant woman or can affect reproductive capacity.

Data on the use of this vaccine in pregnant women are limited. VAXIGRIP? should be given to pregnant women only if clearly needed and following an assessment of the risks and benefits.

It is not known whether VAXIGRIP? is excreted in human milk. Caution must be exercised when VAXIGRIP? is administered to a nursing mother.

And another (https://www.sanofipasteur.ca/sanofi-pasteur2/sp-media/SP_CA/EN/75/1215/415 416 INTANZA R0-0510 En.pdf):

For INTANZATM, no clinical data on pregnant women areavailable. 

And a third (https://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/prodpharma/legislation/interimorders-arretesurgence/prodinfo-vaccin-eng.php):

No data have been generated in pregnant women withArepanrix? H1N1 nor with the prototype AS03 adjuvanted H5N1 vaccine.

And yet, all go on to say that the vaccination is safe for administration in pregnant women despite the lack of data. Remember how our mothers and grandmothers were told to smoke because it will keep their baby's birth weight down, because who wants to deliver a 9 lb. baby? 

I would also like to mention that a number of women with healthy pregnancies and no history of miscarriage actually suffered spontaneous abortion (and all the way through, not just in the first few weeks) after receiving the H1N1 vaccine last year. Of course, these occurrences were chalked up to coincidence, but there are too many for it to be a coincidence. If it had happened to me in my third trimester, I wouldn't brush it off that quickly as being a coincidence.

There is also the issue of the ingredients going into a vaccine. The flu vaccine is grown in chicken eggs so be careful if you are allergic to eggs. Keep in mind that babies shouldn't be eating eggs, so I am not sure why it is okay for a fetus to be receiving egg protein. Luckily, the vaccine is not grown on aborted human fetuses, like many other vaccines, although it may be strained through aborted (late term) human fetuses. Here is a list of ingredients: polyethyleneglycol (antifreeze used to disrupt the virus), carbolic acid (a phenol used as a disinfectant), hydrolyzed gelatin or glutamic acid (MSG ? used as astabilizer to keep the virus alive and stabilize the mixture), gentamycin (anantibiotic containing hydrolyzed gelatin obtained from selected pieces of calfand cattle skins, demineralized cattle bones and pork skin) to manage any underlying bacterial infection, thimerosol (preservative ? added to give the vaccine a longer shelf life, contains mercury),  fetal calf serum (which may also contain a variety of undetected animal viruses) and formaldehyde (a cancer causing agent). 

If we are to be concerned about the effect alcohol, caffeine and artificial sweeteners might have on our baby, why are we not worried about things like formaldehyde? 

After knowing what all goes in to a vaccine and that it will lower your immunity once administered, leaving your body open to other infectious diseases, and that it hasn't been tested for safety in pregnant women, you are then faced with the fact that a flu vaccine isn't actually all that effective. Out of the dozens of flu virus strains you may encounter during the year, only a few are included in the vaccine. It is hit or miss whether the vaccine manufacturers get the more prevalent strains right that year. Some years, the manufacturers don't get any of the strains right. 

If you areconcerned about lowered immunity in pregnancy, make sure you take good care ofyourself. Increase your intake of vitamin D3 (I take 3,000 iu/day), vitamin C (also good for keeping your membranes strong), exercise, sleep, eat properly, drink lots of water and wash your hands.

Anyway, all this to say that I will not be getting a flu shot. I am due at the end of January, in the middle of flu season. I have avoided the flu for 35 years, chances are I will be able to fight it off for at least another 35!

• My 2 cents:

I was pregnant this time last year, and I received both the seasonal flu shot and the H1N1 shot. I know some people have said that the H1N1 shot was not studied except for one small study, and that is not true. I know this because I was part of an H1N1 study conducted last year. I received two H1N1 shots, in addition to the seasonal flu shot I received. And the dosage I received may have been higher than the usual given last year. This was to find out if the higher dosage was more effective at protecting pregnant women from the flu. Before joining the study, I asked both my OB and my son's pediatrician (we had already picked one out) their opinions on the matter. Neither had ANY concerns AT ALL - and that was with knowing that I would be receiving two to four times as much vaccine than if I had just went and gotten an H1N1 shot.

I had no side effects other than a slightly sore arm and my son is a perfect and beautiful 10 month old baby. Both of us have already received our flu shots this year, and my son is scheduled to get a booster flu shot next week.

I would urge you to consult with medical professionals on this matter. There is a lot of misinformation out there about vaccines, but the risks of catching the flu and what it could do to you and your baby far outweigh any risks of getting the flu shot.

• if it makes you feel better, i declined the flu shot twice so far (once at my doctor's office, he is the chief of gynecology at the hospital where i will be giving birth, once at another hospital during a family emergency, at which time the attending nurse told me she refused to get a flu shot last year because she was pregnant).

if you get the shot and get sick almost immediately after, it is said that you were exposed to whatever illness already.  this happened to me as well, when i was 18and a freshman in college and trying to do the right thing by having the shot.

as it is, i have only been tested for the flu once that i can recall.  that was in college (another college), and the doctor was hoping i could be the first confirmed flu case for the state that year.  sadly for her, that was not the case, and i was just plain old sick.  it seems like a lot of times people just say "flu" when there is nothing better to call a really bad cold.

so...yeah.  do what you feel is best.  i don't know anyone who had swine flu or bird flu last year.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"