3rd Trimester

Gestational Diabetes - anyone have or had it???

Went to the ob/gyn yesterday & failed my glorious 3 hour torture that was the glucose test.  So now I have to deal with whatever I have to deal with in regards to having gestational diabetes.

Anyone else have or had it?  What am I in for???

(on a side note.....gained 45lbs with 1st kid.....only gained 20 so far with this one & I'm 8 mos....WTF?)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Gestational Diabetes - anyone have or had it???

• I did....you'll be sent to someone to go over the diet and finger testing. Expect several small meals and snacks spread over the day.  You'll probably test your blood sugar 4 times a day...once in the morning for fasting and then 2 hours after each meal.

The carbs per meal will vary by person, but it's usually around 15-20 for breakfast, 30 for lunch, 45 for dinner, and 15g for each snack. ALWAYS have protein with carbs, and  a 10 minute walk after each meal really helps as well.

You'll probably have some extra monitoring towards the end, I had bi-weekly NSTs, etc.

My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I had it with both pregnancies.

Basically you have to eat a limite amount of carbs so that your blood sugar is under a certain point (my cutoff was 120) after meals.

I could have 15-30g carbs for breakfast, 30-45 for lunch and 45-60 for dinner, with a snack between meals.

I had to test my blood sugar right when I woke up and two hours after each meal, so four times a day.

It's important to always eat protein with your carbs.  Going for a walk after meals helps a lot as well.

It's really not so bad.  Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • imagemadhatter2003:

I did....you'll be sent to someone to go over the diet and finger testing. Expect several small meals and snacks spread over the day.  You'll probably test your blood sugar 4 times a day...once in the morning for fasting and then 2 hours after each meal.

The carbs per meal will vary by person, but it's usually around 15-20 for breakfast, 30 for lunch, 45 for dinner, and 15g for each snack. ALWAYS have protein with carbs, and  a 10 minute walk after each meal really helps as well.

You'll probably have some extra monitoring towards the end, I had bi-weekly NSTs, etc.

This exactly! This is my second GD pregnancy. There's a lot of posts about it on the high risk board, and are you due in Dec? We just started a GD check in on Tuesdays!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • The High Risk board has lots on GD.  I test my blood 7x a day (before and 1 hour after each meal and before bed).  I'm allowed 60g carbs for breakfast, 60g carbs for lunch and 75g of carbs for dinner plus  3x snacks at 15g of carbs.  I need to have one serving of protein for each snack and between one and three servings with each meal.  When I was first diagnosed I met with an endocrinologist, a nurse specializing in diabetes and a dietician a few times.  I still have weekly appointments with my endocrinologist. 

I found the diet really easy to follow.  It took a short while to get used to what equals one serving of carbs, but overall I don't think my diet has changed much from pre-diagnosis at all except I need to eat more and more often.  So far in this pregnancy (37.5 weeks), I have gained 14 lbs (I was a size 12 to begin with). 

Good luck!  We'll see you on the High Risk board.

mmc @ 14 weeks - November 2009. Missed every day. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 15DPO:461 17DPO (47hrs later):1380
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"