Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Please console me - baby fell off counter....

my "D"H was getting her ready for a bath in our kitchen sink and had her on the counter ready to change her.  I was in the kitchen talking about something else which apparently distracted him, and she rolled right off onto tile floor.  He said he caught her fall a bit with her arm and she just really hit her butt and then head.  He scooped her up and she was consoled within a minute - continued with bath, bottle and bed.

She had a bit of redness on the side of her head, but other than that she was completely normal.  Called Dr.'s office and they're not worried, but i'm totally anxious.  Internal bleeding, concussion, broken bones, it's all in my head.....

anyone go through this or is a nurse/dr., and can help with my craziness (or i'm completely sane and I should wake her up to go to ER?????)

Working on #2!

Re: Please console me - baby fell off counter....

• Everyone makes mistakes, she'll be fine. I would take her to the ER just for my peace of mind though.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • She would likely be exhibiting some signs if something was wrong - screaming, vomiting, etc.  I would just watch her closely tonight. DD threw herself back and bumped her head on our hardwood floor once.  I set my alarm for every hour that night just to make sure she was ok.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I would totally freak due to the height of the fall, but honestly if she was in pain I don't think you would have calmed her down within a few minutes.
  • I would google signs of a concussion in an infant and just keep an eye on her.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I would take her in. What if she has a concussion and is difficult to waken?
  • Wait he was changing her diaper on the kitchen counter? Gross.

I'd definitely get her checked.

• I agree with PP, just keep an eye on her.  I would freak out too, in fact it's one of my biggest fears. However, my brother dropped me on the hard floor when I was a baby and I fell a few other times and nothing happened (if that makes you feel any better, lol)

i am sure she will be fine. good luck!

• Those of you would go to ER, even after pedi said it was fine and to just check on her throughout the night?

Working on #2!
  • The same thing happened to us except onto linoleum floors so a bit softer. She had a red mark and did not cry for very long. We still freaked out. Called medics. Took her to ER. By the time we got there and checked in she was laughing and playing with the nurses. Dr said she'd probably be fine but to closely monitor her for 24 hours. She was absolutely fine but I am very glad we took her in. Just in case, better safe then sorry. But I know that they did not want me to let her sleep until she was checked out. My dad is a medic and said the same thing. Don't mess around with head injuries.
  • imageJennNJ:

Those of you would go to ER, even after pedi said it was fine and to just check on her throughout the night?

Trust your instincts. 

• Oh no! I know it's scary but she probably is just fine. I would just make sure her pupils are even (which would indicate a concussion). Every baby takes a dive at some point or another. She'll probably get a good size bump on her head during the night but that's okay if she does.
  • Not to scare you. . . but you need to take her in ASAP. I am an EMT and have seen what happens when parents DONT err on the side of caution.. and trust me you dont want to go there. Please take her in. . .wake her up. . make sure she is responsive and if she seems less wake or aware than usually dial 911 as fast as your little fingers will fly.

Also, if/when this happens again DO NOT allow her to sleep directly after.

• imageStarAnnice:
    imageJennNJ:

Those of you would go to ER, even after pedi said it was fine and to just check on her throughout the night?

Bottom line, it's your kid, do what you want.  But, I would've already left for the ER by now, rather than sit around and ask strangers on a website.

no need to be rude.  we already called the doctor, i'm not just "sitting around".  but she's now asleep and calm, having had no symptoms since the initial one minute cry - i'm just looking for some support.

Working on #2!
  • Go with your gut. It's easy to get all worked up by what you read or what others would do on the internet. If your gut says to go, than go.

• imageJennNJ:
    imageStarAnnice:
    imageJennNJ:

Bottom line, it's your kid, do what you want.  But, I would've already left for the ER by now, rather than sit around and ask strangers on a website.

no need to be rude.  we already called the doctor, i'm not just "sitting around".  but she's now asleep and calm, having had no symptoms since the initial one minute cry - i'm just looking for some support.

DS fell off his changing table one time and the pedi told us the same thing yours told you.  If you feel comfortable with your pedi's advice, then just keep an eye on her.  If you want additional peace of mind, take her in. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Unfortunately, we had something similar happen last week.  DS was on the bed and DH was at the foot of the bed, leaned over to pick something up and in that time DS managed to roll off. He was consoled in a minute.  We called the pedi but they didn't call us back immediately and we were worried, so we went to the nearest ER.  They checked him out, said he seemed fine (didn't do any imaging) and sent us home.  Throughout this entire time, DS was his normal self, same thing the next day. 

The next evening I was nursing him to sleep and noticed a soft bump on his head.  I put him to sleep as usual but called the pedi & she told us to go get it checked out at a children's hospital ASAP.  They did some imaging and we found out he had a small fracture in his skull. :( (and thankfully the bleeding was outside the skull.) The docs said this is pretty common and it will heal on its own.  Just continue to look for any signs of abnormal behavior, etc.  DS just went in for a follow up on Monday and the neurologist said everything looks fine.

So, I'm sure your DD is totally fine if she is showing no signs of anything abnormal but that said, I would still take her in just to be safe and get peace of mind. 

• I would take her in and get looked at. My MIL is a nurse at the ER and she sees plenty of babies come in from falling off the couch to falling off the counter. Some are perfectly fine but others aren't. It's better to be safe than sorry.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • To those that were wondering.....even though we felt she was totally fine, when she started stirring at 4am, I decided to take her in since I couldn't sleep.  We're back, and she's fine, no concern at all from ER staff.  Thanks for the advice.
    Working on #2!
  • Even though babies are resilient.  You really shouldn't have let the baby go to bed, until you at LEAST called the pedi/heard from the pedi.  ::shakes head::

I really hope your child is ok.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageLyssapee:

Even though babies are resilient.  You really shouldn't have let the baby go to bed, until you at LEAST called the pedi/heard from the pedi.  ::shakes head::

I really hope your child is ok.

not sure if you read entire post, but first thing we did was call pedi - and they and the ER both said it was fine she went to bed.

Working on #2!
  • don't beat yourself up...it happens.  My DD fell off the bed a few times as a baby, she's fine now...a bit mouthy, but fine Stick out tongue

You called your Pedi, you took her in...you did everything right...it happens, won't be the last time...it never gets any easier though ::hugs::

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Photobucket
  • imageBig J:
    She would likely be exhibiting some signs if something was wrong - screaming, vomiting, etc.  I would just watch her closely tonight. DD threw herself back and bumped her head on our hardwood floor once.  I set my alarm for every hour that night just to make sure she was ok.

OP, my DS fell off of a glider at 6 weeks. Even though he just had a little red, bump spot--I took him to the ER. (Being a first time mom, I didn't know that it would have been best to take him to Nationwide Children's Hospital instead of the regular ER so CPS was called. That was fun.) Even though he was acting totally normal, consoled in such a short amount of time and went back to eating, I was freaking out, asking the nurse and doctor who were caring for him if I should try to keep him awake.

He turned out to be fine and the bump was 100% gone in an hour or so, but they told me that even if they aren't showing signs, it's very possible (for anyone, not just an infant) to have a head injury, like a slow brain bleed, that wouldn't cause symptoms otherwise. This is not to scare you, it's just to say that just because she appeared to be fine, she very well could not be. I know I'm late to the post but if it were my LO, I'd get her checked out at a Children's Hospital. At the very least, call your pedi.

ETA: I saw in the comments that you've already called your pedi. Like PP have said, do what feels best for you, but I know that if it were me, I wouldn't trust a pedi to tell me what's going on internally with my child unless they've checked her out. Either way, don't beat yourself up. Accidents happen, especially with wiggly babies.

• imageemily0829:

imageBig J:
    She would likely be exhibiting some signs if something was wrong - screaming, vomiting, etc.  I would just watch her closely tonight. DD threw herself back and bumped her head on our hardwood floor once.  I set my alarm for every hour that night just to make sure she was ok.

OP, my DS fell off of a glider at 6 weeks. Even though he just had a little red, bump spot--I took him to the ER. (Being a first time mom, I didn't know that it would have been best to take him to Nationwide Children's Hospital instead of the regular ER so CPS was called. That was fun.) Even though he was acting totally normal, consoled in such a short amount of time and went back to eating, I was freaking out, asking the nurse and doctor who were caring for him if I should try to keep him awake.

He turned out to be fine and the bump was 100% gone in an hour or so, but they told me that even if they aren't showing signs, it's very possible (for anyone, not just an infant) to have a head injury, like a slow brain bleed, that wouldn't cause symptoms otherwise. This is not to scare you, it's just to say that just because she appeared to be fine, she very well could not be. I know I'm late to the post but if it were my LO, I'd get her checked out at a Children's Hospital. At the very least, call your pedi.

ETA: I saw in the comments that you've already called your pedi. Like PP have said, do what feels best for you, but I know that if it were me, I wouldn't trust a pedi to tell me what's going on internally with my child unless they've checked her out. Either way, don't beat yourself up. Accidents happen, especially with wiggly babies.

She called her pedi and took LO to the ER. Her LO is fine, and OP I am glad LO is ok!!!

• imagejoshandash06:
    imageemily0829:

imageBig J:

She called her pedi and took LO to the ER. Her LO is fine, and OP I am glad LO is ok!!!

Thanks!!

Working on #2!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"