Babies: 3 - 6 Months

should I be angry/concerned?

My childs daycare just emailed me pictures of my LO playing with and eating cool whip.  He is almost four months old and EBF until this point.  I am trying not to overreact before I go to pick him up tonight.  Would you be angry?  Better yet, should I be concerned about a reaction??
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: should I be angry/concerned?

• Seems a little early.  Dont get angry yet, just walk in and ask why a 4 month old would need to be eating and playing with a "food". 
  • I would be angry if you told the day care that he is EBF and explain to them that you do not appreciate them violating your wishes.  I'm sure they did not mean anything malicious, but you are paying them to abide by your rules for your child.  Of course, the daycare SHOULD realize that BF or FF, cool whip is not developmentally appropriate.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes you should be super pissed! I am assuming they were doing a craft with it? Regardless, daycare should not be offering food or food products to babies without checkin with parents first.  I feel like there have been so many posts lately about new food and liquids being offered to babies without consent.  And coolwhip! Doesn't get more overprocessed than that!
  • I'd be angry enough to find another daycare.
  • I would be very upset and immediately find a new daycare.
  • I don't think it would EVER occur to me to give a LO that little cool-whip!   So...yeah I think you are justified.
    Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • Surprise

I would be angry and concerned.  First off, your LO is EBF which I believe means exclusively.  Secondly, cool whip for a 4 month old?!?! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Thanks for the replies.  I am upset that they didn't clear the idea with me first.  They have been great on all other fronts, so I don't think I am going to switch daycares.  I am going to have a talk with them about not introducing ANY foods though.  Thank God he doesn't have a dairy allergy!

• imagesamk213:
    I would be very upset and immediately find a new daycare.

This!  They shouldn't be feeding LO anything that is not OK by you.  I would seriously be pissed. 

• imageSugarnear:
    I'd be angry enough to find another daycare.

This. I would be livid.

• That is not cool at all.  What if you were waiting until 6 mo to give any food?  Much less cool whip.  Unacceptable.  They should always consult with you re: anything like that.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • Wow yeah... Cool whip is full of sugar. Not the best intro to food. What kind of people are running the show there?
  • Ditto the PPs that said DCP should check and at least notify you if they're going to be introducing any new food.

When I worked at a daycare, we NEVER did things like that with infants! Toddlers and preschoolers got to play with things like cool whip and stuff (as "snow") but its horribly sticky and if they sit and eat tons of it, they just get sick. I think the entire 9 years I worked in daycare, we did that twice, with preschoolers. And it was a mess! I'd never do that with infants!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"