Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

? about 2 week old sleeping

My 2 week old has issues falling asleep-once he is asleep he usually stays asleep for 2-3 hours, but getting him to fall asleep is the issue.  Last night he woke up at 12 and I couldn't get him to fall back asleep until 2:30.

I'm sure that 2 weeks is too young to have in any sort of routine, but do you ladies have any tips on how to help him get to sleep faster?  We have a sound machine, I've tried swaddling him-he just sits there and tries to get his arms free, and everytime I try to rock him he thinks its time to eat.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: ? about 2 week old sleeping

• Options
    How is your LO during the day? Do you wake your LO up for feedings? I've found that doing that during the day really got him on track for falling asleep at night. I started waking my LO up every 2 hours during the day to feed, then let him sleep at night. Try not to stimulate him at all during the night, low lighting, don't talk, just change him, feed him, hope for sleep after that!! My little guy is 6 weeks today and he only wakes up once during the night, but he is up most of the day now. Good Luck!!
  • Options
    I could do better with feeding him every 2 hours.  Ill give that a try-thanks!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh I remember those sleepless nights...try feeding him. You mentioned he thinks its time to eat when you rock him, so feed him. You'll be surprised it might just work. I'd try everything I could think of and sometimes my baby just needed a little of mommy's milk or formula and some body heat from mom to put her right back to sleep. Just a few sucking motions from bottle or mommy and she was out. Must be a soothing thing. Don't worry it does get easier and better. Good luck! Smile
  • Options

imagemcancino:
    Oh I remember those sleepless nights...try feeding him. You mentioned he thinks its time to eat when you rock him, so feed him. You'll be surprised it might just work. I'd try everything I could think of and sometimes my baby just needed a little of mommy's milk or formula and some body heat from mom to put her right back to sleep. Just a few sucking motions from bottle or mommy and she was out. Must be a soothing thing. Don't worry it does get easier and better. Good luck! Smile

I'm hoping its just because he is so young.  I try feeding him and he falls asleep at the breast.  When I try to move him to his sleeper he wakes up! 

• Options
    imageJKat876:

imagemcancino:

I'm hoping its just because he is so young.  I try feeding him and he falls asleep at the breast.  When I try to move him to his sleeper he wakes up! 

Lainey does this too, I find that if I just rock her for about 10 minutes after she's fallen asleep before trying to transfer her that it goes better.  I guess it lets her get into a deeper sleep before being jostled.

• Options

That's pretty normal for a 2 week old.  Do you have a glider?  Sometimes that is comfy to nurse in with a nursing pillow and you can doze a bit... or I just would turn the TV on and hold him until he was veryyyyy much asleep.

Don't fret... it won't be like forever. 

• Options

Jkat! I have no advice, as we fight this too. He is getting better at falling asleep again though, but at least once a night he's wide awake! 

I just wanted to say it's so cool that your little man was born on 10-10-10!  

• Options
    imagejamiemsmith:

Jkat! I have no advice, as we fight this too. He is getting better at falling asleep again though, but at least once a night he's wide awake! 

I just wanted to say it's so cool that your little man was born on 10-10-10!  

Thanks!  All along I thought he'd be a 10-9 baby but he decided to wait one more day :)

I can't even get the little dude to nap 1/2 the time.  It's like things are too cool and he wants to just look around.  DH finally got him to nap at 1:15 and at 1:34 he woke back up.  I'm really hoping this passes soon, poor DH is beyond tired when he goes to work everyday!

I hope you are enjoying your LO!

• Options

I do what PP suggested - I rock her until she is very, very much asleep.  I would love to just hop back into bed after feeding, but I have resigned myself to those extra min. to make sure she does not wake up.

Then, I lean as low as I can still clutching her close, before laying her down.  I also keep a hand on her for a few seconds or so, so she kinda feels like I am still holding her.  It's been working for me - GL!

C is 3 years old

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"