1st Trimester

Heartbeat at 8w?

Question for you ladies!

I have my first ultrasound in a few weeks - I will be 8w2d along.  The nurse said I need to have a full bladder and their going to do an external one first, and if we need to then we'll do internal.  I was wondering if we'll be able to hear the heart beat or see the baby at 8w?  I'm getting antsy already and the appointment isn't until the Nov 15th!

Thanks!!

Re: Heartbeat at 8w?

• you probably wont be able to hear it, but 8 weeks you can definatly see it. we saw our baby's heartbeat at 6w3d.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Photobucketimage imageimage
  • Yep! At 8 weeks (had mine recently) you can see the baby (although it doesn't look much like a newborn) and see the flicker of a heartbeat via US.

Enjoy!

Nutmeg, cilantro, sage, mint, thyme... these are a few of my favorite things! Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest! We have four children; one left us too soon.
  • Loading the player...
  • We had an u/s at 7 weeks and we could see the heartbeat on the ultrasound.

DD#1 11/7/04 DS#1 6/24/06 Chemical Pregnancy 6/08 DD#2 1/28/10 after secondary infertility, Clomid, & acupuncture missed m/c 6/2010 at 8 weeks (baby stopped growing @ 5.5) DS born sleeping 1/13/2011 due to cord accident at 22 weeks. DD#3 3/10/2012
  • at 7 weeks, i not only saw my baby and heartbeat, but i heard the heartbeat. good luck, its def very exciting! Smile
  • You can see the fetus and the flickering heartbeat. You can't hear the actual heartbeat, but the ultrasound tech can generate a sound based on the visual of the beat, which is what you hear. When I had mine, it looked like a wiggly gummy bear, LOL.
  • Oh wonderful!  Thanks everyone!!  I'm so excited to see that little bean jumping around in there.  I'm happy we'll be able to see something!  :o)
  • imageLittleEgypt:
    You can see the fetus and the flickering heartbeat. You can't hear the actual heartbeat, but the ultrasound tech can generate a sound based on the visual of the beat, which is what you hear. When I had mine, it looked like a wiggly gummy bear, LOL.

This, ours was 174 today and we joked we have a gummybear

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • how exciting! Two more weeks till I get to go see my gummybear!
  • I had an ultrasound at 7w1d and we could see and hear the heartbeat.  I had an internal u/s so I'm not sure if that matters.

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • google 8 week ultrasound
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I had an external at 8w3d. We didn't hear the heartbeat, but I saw it flickering and it measured 120 bpm.

An internal will give you a better photo of the baby, but some OBs are moving away from doing that; no worries, either way. Nov 15 will be here before you know it!

• We saw and heard our baby's heartbeat at from the internal ultrasound at 6w6d. She tried the external and couldn't see what she wanted and couldn't get a heartbeat but did with the internal. Good luck and Congratulations! :)
  • imagepigtails1031:
    google 8 week ultrasound

you spread a special kind of joy on this board.

• Yes you should be able to see it but may not be able to hear it. I had an internal at 5 weeks to date my pregnancy and I saw the tiny heart beat. Good luck and have fun!

• We saw and heard the heartbeat at 7 weeks.  Good luck!
  • I had my first appointment today and they tried to hear the baby's heartbeat (but didn't do an ultrasound, they just used a dopplar to try to hear it).  I am going to do an ultrasound on Thursday night because they could not hear the heartbeat (and because twins run in both of our families).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    September Siggy Challenge- You had one job

BabyFruit Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"