Baby Names

Would you do Ari or Ariel?

I am leaning a lot toward Ari for a boy, but I'm not sure if I should do the full name (Ariel - are-ee-el) or just Ari. We would probably only call him Ari, but that seems like a "short", doesn't it? WDYT?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Would you do Ari or Ariel?

• I would choose Ariel, but my preference is always for long/formal names.
  • Hmmm....

I think I like Ariel with the nn Ari a bit more than just Ari. However, I am really liking both. I am no help, either.  

• Loading the player...
  • imagemj.reilly:

I would probably just do Ari ... but I like Ariel a bit more.

And while I do like Ariel, but based on America's common knowledge of Ariel (thanks to The Little Mermaid making this spelling a "female" name and changing the pronunciation) ... I am not really sure. I guess it depends on where you live and the real knowledge of the name, pronunciation, and meaning.

I had a good friend named just "Ari" growing up and always loved it. It suited him. I agree it seems short, though.

I guess it really depends on if you can deal with hearing "Little Mermaid" and "girl" name comments from people. It is a legit (and great) name ... so either way is good.

Okay ... I am not help. I like both. Gah. Good luck.

I know it is now known more as a girl's name. Sad But I still love it!
  • I know a little boy named Ari, and have always loved the name.

I agree with PP that Ariel will remind people of The Little Mermaid...and if I were a boy, I don't think I'd want to have my name associated with a Disney princess. 

Mama to sunshine baby "J" 5.13.11 and angel baby "E" born still on 2.11.14
    TTC our rainbow since April '14

• I prefer Ari.
  • Ari
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Logan David 03.27.08
    Jacob Riley 05.18.09
    {Member since 2007}
  • I'm sorry, I know Ariel is traditionally a boy's name, but Ariel was my favorite Disney princess when I was little so in my mind Ariel is a girl's name.  I really like Ari even though it's a little short, I would go with that to avoid the mermaid association.  

photo bazingif2_zps814467e5.gif

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• imageMama_SAS:
    I prefer Ari.

Me too. 

• I like Mickey better Wink

I'm not a fan of Ariel. I know it's a male name, listed in the Bible, but I think it name has evolved. And I wouldn't want him to be made fun of for having a girl's name. This coming from the one who calls her son the same name as a cartoon mouse. 

Proud Mama to Mickey (12.03.09) and Nemo (06.06.13)

• imagescootRN:

I know a little boy named Ari, and have always loved the name.

I agree with PP that Ariel will remind people of The Little Mermaid...and if I were a boy, I don't think I'd want to have my name associated with a Disney princess. 

This completly.  I think there's a chance that your son would go through a really tough period at school where he'd be cursing your name choice.

I strait up LOVE Ari and have never thought it too short when I've known peeps with that name.   Troy and I bounced it around before we knew Livy had no penis.

• Ari is my choice. :)
  • I like Ari!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Well my husband's first name is Ariel and in Chile here he was raised pretty much it was popular. Here he heard the normal "oh the little mermaid". But I personally love the name.
  • Ari, for sure. Especially since it would be your intention to call him that anyway.
  • I like Ari.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I love Ari.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    M/C Dec 2010 - 5w5d Missing my sweet angel baby.
  • I like Ari.  
  • It may not be your style, but if you like Ari and just want to lengthen it, why not something like Aries, Arel, or just throw an "e" on there and make it Arie?

I know you're going for the Ah-ree sound, (right?) but you could use names that have a different AR sound and still *call* him Ari, kwim?

I wouldn't use Ariel. It's a good name, but let's face it, in America, he'd get teased relentlessly.

...I'm still pulling for Al or Theo. :P

Jack Anderson 2.28.10 Our amazing little man. image
  • Is it like R-E, or AIR-E? (don't you love how I tried to phoenetically write that? hahaha).?

Either way, I like Ari better than Ariel. And I think it goes better with Simon. Do you have a potential MN??

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like Ari as a stand a lone name.
  • imageHappyMrsK:
    I like Ari as a stand a lone name.

Ditto-I think it's super cute for a kid and grows up well. 

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Oh man. Food for thought here: I have a male student named Ariel. He is a "cool" kid- plays sports, lots of friends, etc., but he gets teased RELENTLESSLY by the other kids, and he is still being teased in his 3rd year as my student. They call him air-ee-el and little mermaid and all kinds of other mean things. He now goes by R.L., even though those are not his initials. He writes his name R.L., he introduces himself that way... the whole deal. And I'm pretty sure you don't intend for your son to be called R.L. I wouldn't do it- even if you intend to call him Ari all the time. Kids find stuff out and they are mean- if you love the name Ari, then spare your son the trouble and just name him Ari, even if it is a little short. 

Visit The Nest!Image and video hosting by TinyPic Visit The Nest! Anniversary
    VOTE on my Name List image 7 anovulatory cycles, 1 cycle 50 mg clomid, 4 cycles 100mg clomid, HSG double blockage, hysteroscopy with cyst and debris removal, fermara/IUI attempt abandoned because of anovulation, follistim/IUI attempt coming soon!
  • I know a few people named Ari as their full name, so it doesn't feel like it needs a longer name to me. And the one guy I know named Ariel goes by Ariel. I can't imagine him as an Ari.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you are planning on calling him Ari, I would just go with Ari. Plus I like it better than Ariel. Like PP mentioned, I know it is a boys name but my mind jumps immediately to "Little Mermaid" territory with Ariel.
  • I prefer Ari.  Ariel is a girl's name imo - you can thank Little Mermaid for that! lol
    ~Chelsea~
    image"">imageimage
  • imageara_cale:
    I'm sorry, I know Ariel is traditionally a boy's name, but Ariel was my favorite Disney princess when I was little so in my mind Ariel is a girl's name.  I really like Ari even though it's a little short, I would go with that to avoid the mermaid association.  

This, even though I usually push for no nn's as first names.  But I do really love Ari.

• imageNastyAnnie:

It may not be your style, but if you like Ari and just want to lengthen it, why not something like Aries, Arel, or just throw an "e" on there and make it Arie?

I know you're going for the Ah-ree sound, (right?) but you could use names that have a different AR sound and still *call* him Ari, kwim?

I wouldn't use Ariel. It's a good name, but let's face it, in America, he'd get teased relentlessly.

...I'm still pulling for Al or Theo. :P

I gotta agree here. Aries is a good alternative ... or else just stick with Ari. Maybe Arick - Pronounced R-Ick, not Air-Ick like Eric. 

• I like Ari.

Ariel has too much of a girl association now. I think it be hard for him in school because "he'd have the same name as a mermaid." Kids are mean.

• Ari...ARi... ARI!!  Did it come across that I was chanting Ari?  Because I am!!  I effin' love Ari!!
    Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I like Ari a lot.  I think Ariel sounds too feminine. 
  • This makes me feel exceptionally old, but my first thought was of the girl from Footloose, not The Little Mermaid.

Regardless, I prefer Ari to Ariel. 

• Have you tried looking for other full names that Ari could be a nn for?  Like Arian or Ariston or anything but Ariel.  I do love Ari by itself also!  GL! 
    mc #1~02/2004
    mc #2~08/2005
    mc #3~02/2008
    Blessed with a beautiful, healthy baby girl on 11/22/2009.
    The wait, though heartbreaking, was well worth it.
    mc #4~03/2011
    mc #5~11/2011
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Ari

There is too much teasing potential with Ariel.

• How about naming him Arrington and calling him Ari?

We had thought about that for our first baby.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • For a boy I would do Ari
    DD 11/5/10 born by c section DS 9/8/07 born by c section due to Pre-e/Hellp Syndrome m/c at 5 1/2 weeks 8/4/06 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker DaisypathAnniversary Years Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"