2nd Trimester

Non-maternity clothes that look good with a belly. :-)

With the exception of a few pieces, I have found that most maternity clothing are too plain, boxy, and non-stylish (unless you're willing to fork over the top dough for Isabella Oliver or Pea in the Pod).  I know that some of us have been able to still stay cute by finding non-maternity styles to wear....but it's always so hard to figure out which items work without trying them on.  I thought this thread might be a good way to help other moms narrow down their search by posting items that YOU have found that are cheap, non-maternity, but still work with your growing belly.

I figure I would post this in 2nd Tri since many of us have a bump but not large enough that it absolutely demands maternity wear. :)

A few of my finds:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

https://www.target.com/Xhilaration-Juniors-Front-Ruffle-Blouse/dp/B003YUEQCQ/ref=sc_pd_gwv_1_title

This is long enough to go over my bump and still look normal (many non-maternity shirts are too short once a bump's in place), and comes in many different colors.

https://www.forever21.com/product.asp?catalog_name=FOREVER21&category_name=top&product_id=2073791493&showBACK=OK#

This fabric and empire waist has a lot of give and expands to go over your belly.

https://www.forever21.com/product.asp?catalog_name=FOREVER21&category_name=top&product_id=2000001420&showBACK=OK

Another empire waist top with a lot of forgiveness that is super cute on.

https://www.forever21.com/product.asp?catalog_name=FOREVER21&category_name=top_casual&product_id=2076349950&Page=9&pgcount=100

Without the belt, this opens up and gives a lot of room for the belly and looks good with leggings or skinny jeans....the belt is adjustable so I still like to use it and cinch it to define my (growing) waist.

What are your suggestions?? :-)

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Non-maternity clothes that look good with a belly. :-)

• I have a bunch that were cute at first but they aren't made long enough so that your tummy doesn't hang out the bottom.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Those are all cute! I agree about the empire waist -- they are so comfortable and look good.

• Loading the player...
  • love that purple top, however since it says "juniors" in the link that = no boob room. I found a few tops that I love at ON that are maternity tops and I also plan on getting some plan color long sleeve tops to wear underneath all my short sleeve maternity tops from when I was PG with DS so I can reuse them.

The pink top is cute as well.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't have specifics but I agree that empire waist stuff is the way to go - I wore lots of "regular" tops well into 3rd tri last time.

I really like leggings and tunics - but I'm having a really hard time finding ones that are long enough for me (I'm 5'10") - I don't mind short but I'd rather not have my bum hanging out ;-)  Any suggestions??

As a bonus, these clothes will also be great pp - when you want to hide your still shrinking tummy and don't quite fit back in your old stuff yet.

• Nothing specific since most of mine are from my last pregnancy.  However, I found a ton of longer, stretchy tops at Forever 21 (obviously you have too) and Charlotte Russe.  It wasn't until the very end (like last month of pregnancy) that some of those shirts were too short.  I got the most compliments when wearing non-maternity tops for sure!
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't have pics but I found quite a few shirts at Maurices that work. I wear an XL in maternity and got plus size 1 at maurices. They're Ts are a nice weight and long enough they look great over my bump without looking stretched out.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have been getting by with 2 actual maternity jeans and the rest of my clothes are all non maternity.

The sweater in my siggy is long enough for now (though I don't know how much longer that will last). 

I have also purchased a few of these lace camis. They are really long and help extend shirts that might otherwise be too small. 

I actually find quite a bit at Wet Seal. I am 4'11, 131 lbs, and a size D bra pre pregnancy and they still fit well even though they are juniors. 

For example I have the following styles and they are fitting the bump nicely. 

Shirt 1

Shirt 2

Shirt 3

I also have some others that I found in the store but they are not online. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Love #2 and #3!!! :D WAY cute!
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I completely agree with finding cute tops at Forever 21!  I went the other day and found a great little flannel empire waist collared shirt with 3/4 length sleeves!  I bought a large to fit the big pregnant boobs, but I think it will last a while.  I just think I will have to keep shopping throughout the whole pregnancy. 

The sales girl at my Forever 21 (Albuquerque, NM) said that they are going to get some of the maternity basics in too!  I would be psyched to get tanks and tee shirts for $5 in the future!

• I have nothing to add.  I went into this thinking I wuld avoid maternity clothes at all costs because they are so not my style.  I have found, however, that by being really picky and basically stalking the store, that I have found some decent stuff. 

I feel like I look better inmaternity than any non-maternity that I thought would "work".  I don't have a big bump yet, but am in almost all maternity all the time.  It just looks better.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I just want to say that I'm super jealous of anyone who can make this work through your whole pregnancy.  I've about given up all of my non-maternity clothes and I've still got 17 weeks to go! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • There are some tops on Forever 21 that would really work for now. I can't figure out how to get the pictures to post on here darn it.
    ~Amy
  • I am way past non maternity pants, and have a few regular tops that still work, but as mentioned length becomes the biggest problem, even when getting a size up.  I also tend to like the overall fit that comes with maternity cut.  BUT for sweaters/cardigans, my plan is to get regular things, there are a lot of styles now that are open, wither witout buttons or ties, that are perfect for wearing ontop of a shirt, and give the warmth....
  • I just bought one of those super long cardigans.  It is working GREAT so far!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker _MG_0566-2 - Copy (2)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"