Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Need help for constipated baby

Help! We started solids a few weeks ago, mostly fruit and she hasn't had a bm in 3 days. This is her 3rd day. She was going every other day, but for whatever reason that has stopped. She isn't getting a ton of solids - maybe 1-1.5 oz a day in addition to bfeeding.

I am getting concerned. She is definitely gassy and seems uncomfortable. I even gave her prunes yesterday and still nothing.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Need help for constipated baby

• apple juice or pear juice.  dilute with water
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageyankeebaby2:
    apple juice or pear juice.  dilute with water

This.  They also have an apple/prune juice combo and that normally does the trick for DD.

• Loading the player...
  • Put her in her exersaucer if you have one.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I just got back from the doctor to get my DS his flu shot, and while I was there I told her he was constipated...it had been a couple days with him only passing a couple HARD stools. We tried prunes, which didnt help , so she too told us to try pears or pear juice; we had the baby food, so I just gave him that. He did poop, though it was still pretty hard. Does anyone know if that counts? Because if it doesnt, I have to give him a sepository tomorrow!
  • Our peid said not to be concerned if she wasn't going more than once every 7 to 10 days now that we started solids.   I still would like dd to go more often (she's about once every 5 days now). At first it seemed she was gassy and uncomfortable, but that went away even though she still didn't go more frequently. 

On our nurses advice the first bout we tried:

warm baths with baking soda

pear juice

fruits (she was only on rice cereal)

bumbo/ excersauser/ other sitting positions

bicycle legs

rectal thermometer

glycercin suppository

Finally a tsp of sugar mixed with four ounces of warm water did the trick (but ask a doctor before trying the last two)

• Applesauce helps also, along with the prunes. The juices should help. You can call your pedi and ask him or her about Karo syrup. I had to do it with DD and it works like a charm.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our pedi said prune juice.  She specified no other juice at this age.  (not sure why)  We actually tried prunes (1st or 2nd foods) and it worked. 
    Take a chance. Take a risk. Take the initiative. Make your wishes a reality and make your dreams come true!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • aplles and prunes. I also give a straight up ounce of prune juice. Pears make my boys EXTRA gassy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"