Preemies

synagis shot this am- please remind me it's worth it!

My doc fought hard to get my 8 month old synagis again this season (31w5d preemie) and was successful.  I fed him almost 7 ounces this morning which is no easy feat becuase he isn't a good eater then took him to the appt this morning.  Apparently the dosage is too big to go into one leg so they had to do a shot in each leg.  He screamed bloody murder and worked himself up so much he throw up pretty much all seven ounces.  He has never done this previously with a vaccine before.  Are these shots a lot more painful or is it just worse in his "older" age?  Either way....1 month down, 4 more to go (so 8 more shots)....not looking forward to it:(   Oh, and the nurse said he could be lathargic for the next two days....great, the grandparents are coming to visit today.  Ugh, please remind me these shots are worth it!

Re: synagis shot this am- please remind me it's worth it!

• Andrew also had to get 2 injections.  They are more painful than other shots - at least Andrew reacted much more strongly to them.  It's very, very worth it.  Being admitted to the hospital with RSV is way worse than one shot.
  • Oh it's very worth it.

My doc is not fighting hard, and my 32 week daughter is only 3 mos.old... 1 month corrected.  She was born IUGR at 3 pounds.  She had been denied Syagis from our insurance company. 

The insurance company denied the doctors 3 sentence appeal.

I just wrote a 3 page appeal letter begging for her to get the vaccine.  She needs all the help and protection she can get.  Being at the hospital for 5 weeks in the NICU was so awful.  I hope and pray she never gets RSV; I don't ever want her readmitted.  So, it is very worth it. 

TTC for 12 years. m/c 2009. BFP on New Year's 2010. Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I totally agree with Lemen. I few shots is a lot better than a hospital stay. In a couple days your LO won't even remember! Hang in there.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It is very worth it. We are fighting RSV with pneumonia right now. It is worth every single shot.
    A small start at 2lb 9oz, 60 day NICU stay, and 6 months of O2 My 30 weeker is growing up! <a href="http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/bippy798/?action=view
  • They are totally worth it. I was not overly concerned about RSV because Corri is nearly 8 months old and has her daddy's resistance to illness (so far), but since we planned to travel a few times this winter by plane, I wanted her to have that extra protection. After 9 weeks in the NICU, I never want to go back ever again!

I noticed that these shots seem to hurt more than normal shots as well. Corri got her first one 2 weeks ago and she went apesh!t. Usually she cries for a second during the shot and less than a minute after; with the Synagis she screamed for the entire 30 seconds the shot was going in and was sobbing for about 5 minutes afterward. I felt terrible, and that was with only ONE shot. Next time she will be over 15 pounds and it will need to be broken down into 2 shots...oy vey!

• imageBippy798:
    It is very worth it. We are fighting RSV with pneumonia right now. It is worth every single shot.

hugs!!

• So worth it!!  I had that happens a few times too.   The nurse told me the shot burns them thats' what they cry so much.   Iknew it was a long shot but, I tried to get it for this season too but, was denied.
    10/17/2009 - Our Miracle came 10 weeks early. IF,2 MC and 1 Preemie we have our miracle.. Baby Hope 10 weeks 5days was taken from us on Dec 18, 2007. Forever with us and Forever missed. Triplets Lost baby A @ weeks, Lost Baby B at 6 weeks and lost baby Abigail at 14 weeks when she was born to little for this life..... Forever with us ....
  • Oh no!  The way my DS cried after he got his 2 month vaccinations made me almost cry!

He did get approved for the synagis, and I'm glad he'll have that protection.  But I'm NOT looking forward to the crying at all!  Poor kids.

• The nurse at my docs office said it is a very thick solution and that is why they hurt so bad.  I am not looking forward to my guy getting them at all.
  • I think synagis is 100% worth it! My son was born at 26 weeks in 2007 and did synagis shots every month for 2 1/2 cycles. He was NEVER sick and I am happy to say he is a happy and healthy 2 year old! I know it's hard to have to watch your baby get a shot over and over after they have already been throught so much, but I honstly think it is worth it in the long run.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have to agree - it's worth it to me, too.  It kills me when my little boy cries like that, but I'd rather the shots than another stay in the NICU.  He's already had his first, and I think I cried as hard as he did...I was surprised - my pedi fought hard, and got us approved for 9 shots! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"