Baby Names
Options

Name meanings/origins clicky

I was just reading a post below and the op said if she surveyed 20 of her friends about their names, they'd have to google to find out the meanings/origins (something along those lines) which really surprised me. I guess I've always been a name nerd because I remember being very interested early on in what my name meant and where it came from. I loved the meaning of it and have had conversations, however brief, with friends about their names. (For example, my friend Melissa told me her name means honeybee (pretty sure that's right) and for her wedding I got her a rhinestone honeybee brooch which she pinned in her hair! awww) Most of my close friends know theirs as well. So, are we just weirdos? Stick out tongue
[Poll]
Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
~DD Born! 2013~
~DD due! 2015~

Re: Name meanings/origins clicky

• Options
    I'm always really surprised when moms/parents haven't researched what the names they've chosen mean.
  • Options
    I have always known my own name origins (Heather), but I'm not generally a name nerd. I don't particularly care about meanings, but I view them as a bonus if I like them. The meanings, that is.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageveganxangel:
    I'm always really surprised when moms/parents haven't researched what the names they've chosen mean.

Me to. I can see it not being the biggest priority in choosing a name, but I would still want to know what the meaning was and it's origin.

I didn't learn the meaning of my name until I was probably in middle school and I looked it up.

• Options

As long as you're bringing up the subject, I don't want to start drama, but the comment was bizarre. The post in question wasn't just about meanings, as in, do Anna and Grace mean the same thing (they do, so I just answered your poll for myself), but about accepted variations of the SAME name in different languages.

There is a big difference between knowing that two completely different sounding names, like Aura and Flavia, for example, mean the same thing ("golden"), which is not something I would expect most people to know, and knowing that Louis, Luigi and Ludwig or John, Juan and Giovanni are variations of the same exact name.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Growing up my grandmother would buy me things that had my name meaning and little sayings about the name on it.  I still have a mug that says "Sarah: Princess (Hebrew)" and tells me I'll live a long life full of laughter and song.  

photo bazingif2_zps814467e5.gif

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options

Wish you had an option for know but don't care

As Butch says, I'm American, honey. Our names don't mean sh*t 

CafeMom Tickers
    CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    My parents always let me know my name meant happy, sweet, pretty, wonderful. I'm glad, I think it helped a lot. :) I especially like the happy part ;) It's always nice knowing that a name is more than something someone yells at you. ;D
  • Options
    To be fair, my name isn't a "real" name, so I have had to kind of infer the meaning from what names are closest to it.
    I don't know what's up with my siggy and I am too lazy to figure it out.
  • Options

imageManderlin923:
    I was just reading a post below and the op said if she surveyed 20 of her friends about their names, they'd have to google to find out the meanings/origins (something along those lines) which really surprised me. I guess I've always been a name nerd because I remember being very interested early on in what my name meant and where it came from. I loved the meaning of it and have had conversations, however brief, with friends about their names. (For example, my friend Melissa told me her name means honeybee (pretty sure that's right) and for her wedding I got her a rhinestone honeybee brooch which she pinned in her hair! awww) Most of my close friends know theirs as well. So, are we just weirdos? Stick out tongue

I know I grew up knowing the origins of my name.  But my mom, didn't research it until after I was born and named. Once she did, she went out and bought the precious moments mugs/tea cups that had my names on them with their meanings and origins. I always loved that I knew.  But I know alot of people who haven't a clue what their name means even now.

I loved the little piece about Melissa and the honeybee brooch. That is so sweet.  Smile.

• Options
    imagemommydale:

imageManderlin923:

I know I grew up knowing the origins of my name.  But my mom, didn't research it until after I was born and named. Once she did, she went out and bought the precious moments mugs/tea cups that had my names on them with their meanings and origins. I always loved that I knew.  But I know alot of people who haven't a clue what their name means even now.

I loved the little piece about Melissa and the honeybee brooch. That is so sweet.  Smile.

thanks :) I have a tradition of getting a brooch for my friends who are getting married. I wore one pinned to my bouquet. 

Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• Options

I grew up knowing the meaning of my first name and the story behind both first and middle. I have a word name though, so it's pretty straight forward. I started paying attention to other names when I was about 16. They were like my little secret :)

And I love the wedding story - she's a lucky girl to have you for a friend!

Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
  • Options
    My name is Angela; it's pretty hard not to know the origin of that one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"