3rd Trimester

What are you wearing IN the hospital?

I do not expect visitors, because our family is not arriving in state until Christmas time.

I don't even know how long you are usually in the hospital after the baby is born. I have that on my list to ask my OB next week. 

So are you just hanging out in your hospital gown for those days or will you get dressed? And if you get dressed, what are you wearing? 

Re: What are you wearing IN the hospital?

• My hospital requires you to stay for at least two days. I have some pj pants and a over sized t-shirt. I'm not comfortable in hospital clothes.  
  • I am having a scheduled c-section and will be in the hospital for three days!  With my first I had short spaghetti strap nighties but I felt too "exposed" so this time I went out and bought three new pairs of pyjamas! They are all sets which include comfy boxer shorts and long sleeve cotton shirts (with buttons).   Soooo cozy!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm not in 3rd tri yet this time but thought I'd respond. 

Hospital gowns are ugly, yes. However, they're wonderfully easy for all those checks they have to do, easy access for breastfeeding, and you're not having to worry about having your own clothes messed up during all that fun bleeding.

Same thoughts on the "should I bring my own panties" idea. They provide disposable ones that are great, serve their purpose, and can be pitched if they get gross.  

• While in the hospital i will be wearing the hospital gown.  It's convenient and comfy.  Plus, when my sister had her baby she bled quite a bit.  If I'm a bleeder, I'd rather not ruin  my own clothes.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The first day the gown (and lovely mesh undies). The 2nd day I wore pj pants and a nursing tank, with a robe for walking the hall, etc.  Just don't pack things you love, I did bleed a lot with DS and got kinda 'messy'.
    My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imageRoseTor:
    While in the hospital i will be wearing the hospital gown.  It's convenient and comfy.  Plus, when my sister had her baby she bled quite a bit.  If I'm a bleeder, I'd rather not ruin  my own clothes.

Good point. My OB already said not to bring any panties of my own because I'll want the hospital ones. 

• I am bringing my own pjs.  Probably older bottoms in case I ruin them with nursing tops.  Last time I had a c/s and the pjs were a godsend since I had a hard time moving around and I didn't have to worry about keeping the gown closed...
  • I'm going to wear one of these to labor in!! Forget a labor gown! I'm not about to labor in a scratchy paper bag with my butt hanging out ever again!! You can get one for 25$ on amazon.

https://prettypushers.com/

I agree with everyone about comfy lounge wear for after.  

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I hate hospitals and everything about them, including the gowns.  I have some cheap comfy, loose lounge pants and 2 nursing tanks I will be wearing.  Gowns expose your butt and I don't think are conducive to nursing at all.  I just visited my SIL on mon and her mom had to hold a blanket up while she was BF because her whole top half side she was nursing on is exposed.  Of course if I end up with a c section I will reevaluate.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I think I wore a hospital gown the whole time because it was easy on and off for breast feeding and I brought a pair of sweatpants so I felt more comfortable when visitors where in the room.  I do recall being very hot in my sweatpants though, I may bring a lighter pair of pajama pants this time. 
  • I'll just stick to the hospital gown.  And if you're worried about your butt hanging out, there's a *really* simple solution to that:  wear another gown, and put it on like a robe.  Ta-da.  Maybe after a day or so, I'll switch to old lose pj's, but definitely not before. 

And I have to laugh at the "labor gown"/pretty pusher thing.  Yeah, the absolute LAST thing I was worried about when I was in labor was my attire, and making sure I had on the "right" outfit.  And labor is messy, why would you want to ruin some of your own clothes?  It just looks like a cute night gown, so if it is only $25, why not just save it for after the birth and not have to worry about getting God knows what all over it?

Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • I'm going to play it by ear on how I feel, if I'm bleeding a lot, etc.  I am packing lounge pants and nursing tanks and a zippered hoodie, but am also packing a couple nursing bras in case I decide to stay in the gown.  I have a larger chest that will only grow after birth, and the nursing bras will make me feel less exposed with the gown on and also while trying to BF.  I hadn't planned on bringing my own underwear either.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekmcknig1:

I'm going to wear one of these to labor in!! Forget a labor gown! I'm not about to labor in a scratchy paper bag with my butt hanging out ever again!! You can get one for 25$ on amazon.

Confused

You're going to get a lot of gunk on that pretty gown. Labor is messy business!

• Usually 2 days for a vaginal birth and 3-4 days for a c-section.  You should actually call your insurance to see how long they will cover your stay, and then follow up with your OB.

With DD, I just wore the hospital gown the entire time.  I honestly didn't even think to bring something else, or even stuff to fix my hair (hairdryer, etc).  I took a shower the day we were being discharged, but other than that, I just sat in bed in my gown the whole time.  I was miserable.

With DS, I wanted to feel more like myself, so I brought my comfy track suits and gaucho pants and cute tanks that I could nurse in... I felt SO much better!  I took a shower every morning, blow dried my hair, did my makeup and then was ready for visitors by around 8am.  It made a HUGE difference in how I felt.

• Ughhh, all this hospital talk today is making me feel nauseous and unprepared.

I will probably take a few pairs of old loose sweatpants/PJ pants to wear with nursing tanks and a zip up hoodie and/or an old, dark colored open front cardigan. 

I don't like nightgowns or dresses without leggings so wearing a hospital gown the whole time sounds like torture to me.

11-15-08
    12-1-10
  • I plan to wear the hospital clothes so is baby.  I will be having a c-section so once im home dh will have a then 4 year old, new baby and me to take care of im sure he would prefer to not have a ton of clothes to wash from the hospital.  With my last c-section I tried to do to much to soon so this time I plan to take it easy the first 2 weeks while dh is home.  My sil is coming up while im in the hospital to help with dd and im kind of hoping she stays the whole week just to help dh out a little because even tho he will be off work he is never off work between emails and phone calls 24/7
  • imagecrazystace:

Ughhh, all this hospital talk today is making me feel nauseous and unprepared.

Same here. I'm such a pansy. I just don't care to know about the gross stuff until it's happening, then I won't stress about it.

& I'm bringing some old yoga pants and nursing tanks and a robe, but I'm not hellbent on wearing them. If I'm cozy in the gown, I'll just wear that.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickers
  • My hospital insists on hopsital gowns (which we can cover with our own robes).  I think the policy may change once we transition from the laboring rooms to PP rooms...but I'm not sure.  I'm packing a couple long shirts, a pair of house pants, and a robe, just in case I'm allowed to change.  I'm not getting dressed in anything more than that for anyone.

• I bled a lot.  I ruined two gowns and had to have the bed changed twice.  I was bleeding so much that they had to give me a shot of something to help control the bleeding.  Those gigantic pads they gave me can only do so much before I would overflow.  So wearing those ugly gowns for a few days was no biggie and I didn't have to worry about staining them.  If I needed a clean one, they had one right there for me.  The nurses also like to come in a do exams and it's easy access if you aren't wearing pants.
  • imagePunkyBooster:
    imagekmcknig1:

I'm going to wear one of these to labor in!! Forget a labor gown! I'm not about to labor in a scratchy paper bag with my butt hanging out ever again!! You can get one for 25$ on amazon.

Confused

You're going to get a lot of gunk on that pretty gown. Labor is messy business!

Agreed. The last thing I thought about was my gown being scratchy. Not to mention I went through 4 of them before DD was born. I'm not about to screw up $28 worth of cotton for that whole water breaking business. I was only in the hospital 48 hours, and had she been born just a couple hours earlier, they would've sent me home after the first night, not the second. I have a black hospital style gown I made myself out of cotton for right afterwards, and some simple pajamas for the next day. That's the one thing I do regret - being in a hospital gown after my afterlabor shower (best shower of your life, I promise lol), because I still felt kind of icky. Being in my own pajamas, I'll probably be more comfortable. But they will ALL be black bottoms, because I can wash them and get everything out, and not have any discoloration.

imageimage
    Breleigh & Mason
  • Hospital issued stuff, my nursing bra and a zip up hoodie.  I've been told over and over that you'll bleed on everythign, so why ruin my own stuff :)
  • I have not had a baby yet, but I know from experience I hate hospital gowns. So after the delivery I plan on wearing  some black yoga pants and nursing tanks. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • I planned on the hospital gown through delivery.  I picked up 2 inexpensive, but soft/cozy, nightgowns at Kohl's for afterwards.  They button halfway down the front for nursing.  I thought about 2 pc pajamas, but thought the gowns would be easier for pad changes and exams, etc.  I'll probably go home in black yoga pants and a long-sleeved t-shirt.
    2 years TTC with 5 losses, 1 year recovering, 6 months applying for adoption approval, and almost a year waiting for a placement. Then, a miracle BFP at age 36!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Well, when I was in the hospital with my daughter, I was there for eight days. I live in France so we stay a week. I had a vaginal birth and it was difficult so I was incontinent. I lost some bladder and sphinxter control so you might want to wear their stuff until you get home. It is only a couple of days. Take pictures when you get home with your baby. I did.
  • I was in the hospital 3 nights with DD for my c/s. I found the gown and mesh undies very uncomfortable, and after 24 hours was allowed to take a shower, at which time I changed into some comfy pajama pants and a tank top and a bra. If you plan on staying in the gown, I would at least recommend a nursing bra because whether or not you nurse, you will leak, and it is better to control those things.
  • imagekmcknig1:

I agree with everyone about comfy lounge wear for after.  

Those are cute!  But I had to laugh...  I guess my butt wasn't hanging out as I was laying on my back the whole time.  And with some bleeding complications, there was no way for me to wear pants of any sort for two days...  I'll pack something just in case, but I'll probably wear a hospital gown the whole time.  It would be a pain to take pants off to go to the bathroom, get examined, change pads, etc...

• I want one of those cozy muu muus from kohls I saw.. I know I'll bleed all over it, and I don't care. I bought a nursing cami last night from walmart that really doesn't fit very well, I wore a size K bra before pregnany and without buying something special made theres no way to really accomadate their size. However, it works well enough and I'll buy another and bring that too. No pants. I wanted oversized black granny panties but could not find just black ones without them being packaged with other colors.  I want those just in case I don't like the meshys.

Thats my game plan... we'll see how it goes.

• I had a c-section on a tuesday and I didn't go home until friday afternoon. I wore the hospital gown the whole time becuse they were constantly comming in and checking me so wearing bottoms woulda been a pain in the a** to deal with. The day I was going home, they checked me that morning and I got dressed and wore some comfy, loose fitting cotton pants and an over sized t-shirt until I went home.
    <3 *Evan Michael* <3
    {06/15/2010 ~ 9lbs. 4oz, 22.5in.}
    <3 *Twin Angel Babies* <3
    {Said Goodbye on 08/13/2011 at 17w3d}
    No longer TTC
    *~Kisses to My Bestie Boo, ScrappyLika~*

• i'll probably hang out in the gowns...but brought a pair of yoga pants, a nursing tank, and a hoodie just incase.
  • imageDeansGirl0329:

I'm not in 3rd tri yet this time but thought I'd respond. 

Hospital gowns are ugly, yes. However, they're wonderfully easy for all those checks they have to do, easy access for breastfeeding, and you're not having to worry about having your own clothes messed up during all that fun bleeding.

Same thoughts on the "should I bring my own panties" idea. They provide disposable ones that are great, serve their purpose, and can be pitched if they get gross.  

Just to give another opinion, with my first I wore my own clothes, pads & underwear and the bleeding was not excessive. I did not ruin any of my things, and they did not have to do any checks other than feeling my stomach.

Take your own things, if you end up not using them, thats fine but at least you have the option.

• After I cleaned up from delivery with DS, I sported yoga capris and a nursing tank. Since it will be Dec not August this time, I bought one of those open cottony cardigans to go over my nursing tank.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I just wore the hospital gown after I had DD. I was in the hospital for about 36 hours.

This time I'm going to take a pair of yoga pants and a comfy shirt. I hated wearing the hospital gown. As long as everything goes well and baby is healthy we plan on only being at the hospital for 24 hours. 

IMG_5889 Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"