2nd Trimester

baby nurse experiences

We live in NYC with no family around, and many people have told us we NEED a baby nurse for at least a week or two after the baby comes.  Just curious if anyone has used one, and if so, for how long, and did you think it was worth it?  Thanks!

Re: baby nurse experiences

• I guess my question would be - will DH be around to help - and how long will he be home? 

• He may be home for two weeks.  He may get to take one week right away, then have to go back and take another one later.  We're not sure. Will depend on what's going on at his company at the time.

• Loading the player...
  • well I have two points of view. Im a pediactric nurse and I love the babies. but a home nurse will be there I think at night so you dont have to get up. me personally if you have the option to use them I would if you have no family around you so you get rest too especailly if this is your first baby
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't mean this to direspect anyone, but for me personally, I would never have one.  I feel it is my baby and I wouldn't want anyone to take care of the baby...even at night when it is screaming, besides DH and I.  Not even my mother or MIL helped us out.  Also, DH was only home for a few days and then it was me by myself.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I swear, only people in the NYC area are convinced that you NEEEED a baby nurse!

My office mate had one for a few days after she got home and she said it was great.

I am not planning to get one since a) my MIL can come over a little bit and help and b) I plan to breastfeed so I don't know exatly what the nurse would be doing.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm going to be breastfeeding too, but I've heard they still help put the baby back to sleep after/change diapers in teh night, etc.  I've also heard they help  A LOT in getting the baby on a sleep schedule.

I also have type 1 diabetes and I know my numbers are going to be a bit hard to manage right after the baby is born, especailly with the breastfeeding, so I'm a little nervous about that.  Am afriad I'll need to be taking care of myself and then the baby will be crying and I'll have to wait until I'm ok before I can pick him/her up.

I don't know - I agree with the person who said they want to be taking care of their baby, but I just am nervous (it is our first).

• imageBrittanie_1987:
    I don't mean this to direspect anyone, but for me personally, I would never have one.  I feel it is my baby and I wouldn't want anyone to take care of the baby...even at night when it is screaming, besides DH and I.  Not even my mother or MIL helped us out.  Also, DH was only home for a few days and then it was me by myself.

This! I could feel my hormones shift when I was bringing Emma home. I went from feeling happy in the hospital with her to immediately territorial and didn't want anyone to hold her. She was my baby. My MIL nearly got her head bit off once. I had nursed Emma and put her down so we could nap, well MIL came in to get the baby....WRONG thing to do. I didn't care how much pain I was in from the c-section I would have stood in front of Emma's crib to keep anyone from touching her.

• imageaberger02:

He may be home for two weeks.  He may get to take one week right away, then have to go back and take another one later.  We're not sure. Will depend on what's going on at his company at the time.

If he's around to help this much - I don't think you'd need one. We have family around - but besides bringing a meal over or something they didn't really help out with the baby much.

I'd save the money you'd spend on a baby nurse and if you feel like you need help get someone to come do dishes or make dinner.  

• imagelilbit923:

imageBrittanie_1987:
    I don't mean this to direspect anyone, but for me personally, I would never have one.  I feel it is my baby and I wouldn't want anyone to take care of the baby...even at night when it is screaming, besides DH and I.  Not even my mother or MIL helped us out.  Also, DH was only home for a few days and then it was me by myself.

This! I could feel my hormones shift when I was bringing Emma home. I went from feeling happy in the hospital with her to immediately territorial and didn't want anyone to hold her. She was my baby. My MIL nearly got her head bit off once. I had nursed Emma and put her down so we could nap, well MIL came in to get the baby....WRONG thing to do. I didn't care how much pain I was in from the c-section I would have stood in front of Emma's crib to keep anyone from touching her.

I actually didn't mind if anyone held him...and actually we went to family functions the next day after we came home from the hospital.  It is more of me feeling like I should be the one to take care of it "hell or high water" kind of thing.

• If you're going to BF, I would say no based on my experience with DS. Typically if he was waking up at night, it was to feed, and at that age if they feed they usually fall asleep during feeding and you just have to go put them in their crib/pack-n-play. Also, establishing a schedule that young with breastfeeding isn't really easy to do, they are typically bf'ing around the clock the first few weeks. DS would typically nurse for about 30-45 minutes per nusring session, and then an hour or hour and a half after he finished it would be time to start up again. So, I'd say no you probably don't need one at night. During the day if you DH or family won't be around, then I could definitely see how it would be helpful to have someone around more for mealtimes/housework/and for you to get a shower, etc.
  • They are expensive.  If you can afford one, then I would say definitely go for it.  We had one for my daughter, and although we didn't have the greatest experience with the actual nurse, I did appreciate having the help.  I was nice to have someone take the night shift for the first couple of weeks,  I did not BF, so that it probably why it was so great for me.  I will be doing the same with #2.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I cannot even imagine such a concept and this is my 3rd baby. With my last one my ex-husband came to the hospital and picked us up then dropped us off at home (with my other kids) and went to work.

I think my boyfriend plans on taking a few days off but even if he didn't I wouldn't expect or want help with the baby even if I could afford it. Now the cooking and cleaning maybe. I would take the money the nurse will cost and plan for take out for a few nights and have someone come in and clean and do laundry.

Allison Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"