Babies: 6 - 9 Months

UO Thursday-NOT "no food for poor people"

This may or may not be unpopular.

This happened to me this morning and it made me really uncomfortable.

I HATE when I go to McDonald's or some other fast food place and i'm in the drive through and a homeless person is right at the speaker (where you order) or right at the window (where you get your food) begging for change.

First of all I feel REALLY guilty, buying food in front of him and NOT giving him something and second, he's asking for CHANGE and turns down offers to buy him food.

This McDonald's is right by my work and I often stop for a coffee or something in the mornings and he is ALWAYS there.  I've offered to buy him breakfast, and he says no that he just needs the $$ for bus fare to get wherever (it's always a different story).

And it makes me super duper uncomfortable.  Plus, he's really creepy, and is like AT your window of your car, you can hardly order your food and pick it up.

So, this isn't a "no food for poor people" because I would TOTALLY buy him breakfast, but I just refuse to give away money in a situation like that.  KWIM?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: UO Thursday-NOT "no food for poor people"

• that's rude IMO. if hes turning down food he can go beg for change somewhere else. ugh.

• I feel for you.  I would make a complaint to the McDonald's.  I am surprised that they allow him to do this. 

• Loading the player...
  • imageShortycube:

that's rude IMO. if hes turning down food he can go beg for change somewhere else. ugh.

This! UGH

• imagesddriggs:

I feel for you.  I would make a complaint to the McDonald's.  I am surprised that they allow him to do this. 

Complaints have been made (by me, by another coworker who frequents this same mcdonald's at lunch time, and by other patrons there).  The manager runs him off when a complaint is made, but he comes right back.  It's ridiculous!

• imagesddriggs:

I feel for you.  I would make a complaint to the McDonald's.  I am surprised that they allow him to do this. 

This is what I was thinking.

• That's peculiar.  I'm surprised McDonalds allows him to solicit like that on their property.  I don't know, maybe he's not hungry and just needs the money for something later?  Either way, that would make me uncomfortable, too.
  • imageShortycube:

that's rude IMO. if hes turning down food he can go beg for change somewhere else. ugh.

THIS. UGHH

• If it bothers you, then complain to the management of the McDonald's.  They probably don't want someone outside their restaurant bothering their customers.
  • I used to pass by the same beggar to and from work back when I worked in NYC.  He was a young guy, seemed to be able-bodied, but who knows.  I didn't have much money by myself back then, but sometime in December I gave the guy a ten dollar bill and all I got from him was a "hmph" and an eye roll, and a remark about how he didn't need my pity.  Really?  Then why are you sitting there doing nothing but holding a cup out?  I didn't necessarily expect a thank you, but the eye roll was a bit much.
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I don't think rude is the right word, but yeah, definitely annoying. I often offer food to people who are begging for change. If they refuse it and just want cash, I can't help but think they want it for drugs.

There used to be a guy near my work who would beg for money for gas at a gas station. He was there every day with a different sob story.

• I never give money to homeless, but I give them food. If they refuse, I cannot help them. Too many homeless people use the money to buy drugs and alcohol and I am not contributing to their bad habits. I feel for them, but will only give them food.
  • I find it creepy that he is standing that close to the order area/window... and I can't believe the store allows it.  I would say something if it is a repeat occurance.

It's nice of you to offer food, and if he declines oh well.  Beggars shouldn't be choosers.

• I'm just gonna say it.  I call BS on this story.  I think you feel guilty because you didn't offer him anything at all.

• I would like some free McD's please.  I'm hungry.
  • imageJessys_Girl:

This may or may not be unpopular.

This happened to me this morning and it made me really uncomfortable.

I HATE when I go to McDonald's or some other fast food place and i'm in the drive through and a homeless person is right at the speaker (where you order) or right at the window (where you get your food) begging for change.

First of all I feel REALLY guilty, buying food in front of him and NOT giving him something and second, he's asking for CHANGE and turns down offers to buy him food.

This McDonald's is right by my work and I often stop for a coffee or something in the mornings and he is ALWAYS there.  I've offered to buy him breakfast, and he says no that he just needs the $$ for bus fare to get wherever (it's always a different story).

And it makes me super duper uncomfortable.  Plus, he's really creepy, and is like AT your window of your car, you can hardly order your food and pick it up.

So, this isn't a "no food for poor people" because I would TOTALLY buy him breakfast, but I just refuse to give away money in a situation like that.  KWIM?

This is the whole reason why he is there in the first place. If he needs bus fare, tell him you'll go buy him a ticket and bring it back. See what happens then.

I would be super uncomfortable too, so I let the mcds peeps know what is going on and let them deal with it, whether they need to call the authorities or not.

• I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the majority of people here do not know what it's like to be homeless ( emphasis on majority.)

Yes, it can be uncomfortable when someone who is homeless, unclean, possibly mentally ill is begging for your change. I can see that.  I can assure you that as uncomfortable as you may be at that moment, sitting in your car, ordering your food, that you are 100x's more comfortable than that man.

You offered to buy him food. That is wonderful. He declined. So why do you feel guilty? My guess is that you don't, you just wanted to vent about the creepy, ungrateful homeless man at McDonald's.

If you feel guilty and are truly concerned about this man, contact your local shelter for advice. They may be able to help.

• Just one more reason to not eat crappy fast food.
  • I'm like 98% certain that in my town you have to get a license or something to be a peddler. I know you have to wear this card around your next when you're out doing your thing...even if it is standing outside a store and asking for money/odd jobs/etc. I believe the police give you a warning the first time and tell you what to do to get that license, and after that...you're in legal trouble. And you can only peddle in certain areas...right next to the order window at a fast food is a no-no here.

BTW, I do the same thing...don't give money, offer food.  Unless they're downtown and playing a guitar or doing something worthy of money besides just asking for it (ie, playing a guitar, doing magic, etc).

I'd complain again to the manager and then maybe give your local police force a call.  Or, just go to a different McDonalds.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagefrschaffner:

BTW, I do the same thing...don't give money, offer food.  Unless they're downtown and playing a guitar or doing something worthy of money besides just asking for it (ie, playing a guitar, doing magic, etc).

I'd complain again to the manager and then maybe give your local police force a call.  Or, just go to a different McDonalds.

Yeah, that would be crazy! Giving money to the homeless when you can stuff your face with a sausage biscuit instead!

• I would say go somewhere else to get coffee!  It is annoying- working downtown I get asked for money all the time. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagesoko987:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the majority of people here do not know what it's like to be homeless ( emphasis on majority.)

Yes, it can be uncomfortable when someone who is homeless, unclean, possibly mentally ill is begging for your change. I can see that.  I can assure you that as uncomfortable as you may be at that moment, sitting in your car, ordering your food, that you are 100x's more comfortable than that man.

You offered to buy him food. That is wonderful. He declined. So why do you feel guilty? My guess is that you don't, you just wanted to vent about the creepy, ungrateful homeless man at McDonald's.

If you feel guilty and are truly concerned about this man, contact your local shelter for advice. They may be able to help.

This, this, this!!! There are tons of homeless people in my area. It is so sad! Especially when you see a whole family with little kids living on the side of the road. I am actually in the process of working on this, as well as trying to get donations of coats and blankets for them at the very least. We have 1 shelter in this area. That's it. As many homeless people as I've seen, I don't think there's any room for them in the shelter. i actually contacted the shelter, they wouldn't tell me anything because of "confidentiality." I would definitely pay for a cab to get them to the shelter if they had room. This is actually something that hits my heart. I seriously have tears rolling down my face every time I see a homeless person. It breaks my heart!

• imagesoko987:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the majority of people here do not know what it's like to be homeless ( emphasis on majority.)

Yes 

• Food is not the sum total of someone's needs. I would venture to guess that food is the easiest necessity to come by. Just because someone refuses your food doesn't mean any excess change will be spent on drugs or alcohol. 
  • imageyankeebaby2:

I'm just gonna say it.  I call BS on this story.  I think you feel guilty because you didn't offer him anything at all.

Agreed. I highly doubt that Mickey D's is allowing it that close to where they are doing business. I think this is all about the OP getting people to commisserate with her and go "OMG, you are SO right!"

• imageLoriFalce:
    imageyankeebaby2:

I'm just gonna say it.  I call BS on this story.  I think you feel guilty because you didn't offer him anything at all.

Agreed. I highly doubt that Mickey D's is allowing it that close to where they are doing business. I think this is all about the OP getting people to commisserate with her and go "OMG, you are SO right!"

I feel this way about 90% of UOs.

Abraham Arthur 2/21/10 // Asher Kendall 11/11/11

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageyankeebaby2:

You're right, THIS MORNING I didn't offer him anything, because in mornings past i've offered to buy him breakfast (my "policy" is never to give money, but I do in fact give food/blankets/warm clothes/etc. to the homeless, I'm a social worker, it's in my nature).  He's refused before, so I don't offer anymore.

Secondly, I thought I had replied before, but apparently the bump ate my reply.  I HAVE complained to management, as have other coworkers who frequent this mcdonald's and I've heard/watched other customers complain as well.  Usually, the management just asks him to leave and he does, but he's right back out there the next day.  I'm surprised they haven't had him arrested (though they might have and he just came back, who knows) for panhandling.

• imageyankeebaby2:
    imagefrschaffner:

Yeah, that would be crazy! Giving money to the homeless when you can stuff your face with a sausage biscuit instead!

I guess I could have clarified. I've had too many experiences to count where I have given $5-$10 bucks only to pass them again 15 minutes later and they've got a 40 in their hands. It has made me a bit jaded. It's even happened with a woman pushing a baby wrapped in a blanket in a shopping cart. I gave her what I had on me. Often times here, they will prowl in the grocery store parking lot asking for money. We've offered some of our groceries before and one guy even said "no, I need money cuz my kids are hungry"...um, I just offered you some food. I dunno. I do feel for people that are in need, but the ones that take advantage ("the bad apples") have really just turned me off. I've even given some people that I've seen repeatedly doing this a pamphlet for a local helping agency and one of them said to me "I don't need this sh!t, just give me your money". Really.

Our area in particular has been hit hard by this rough economy. I do what I can when I can, but in the end it's my choice what I do and I am ok with that.

• imagefrschaffner:

Seriously?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• imageangiegail78:
    imageLoriFalce:
    imageyankeebaby2:

I feel this way about 90% of UOs.

Me too.  Which is why I rarely participate.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• imagejolis_petits_bijoux:

imagefrschaffner:

Seriously?

I make them do a little dance.  You gotta work for your money.

• imagekate930:
    Food is not the sum total of someone's needs. I would venture to guess that food is the easiest necessity to come by. Just because someone refuses your food doesn't mean any excess change will be spent on drugs or alcohol. 

Exactly this. 

Big Sisters 2/10 & 12/11
    Little Brother 3/1/18
  • imagejolis_petits_bijoux:

imagefrschaffner:

Seriously?

Again, clarifying...I work hard for what I have. At any moment something could happen and everything I have could be taken away...I recognize that fact and understand that a lot of that has happened to a ton of people around here. I guess I see it almost as a work ethic thing. I don't expect people to give me something for nothing. I don't get recognized at work for just showing up...I've got to do something. I guess I feel the same way in this instance. Yes, I feel for you in that position, I've very nearly been IN that position, but sitting around isn't going to help anyone. I guess I came off kind of heartless there, but I'm not really. Just had many bad experiences.

• imagefrschaffner:
    imageyankeebaby2:
    imagefrschaffner:

I guess I could have clarified. I've had too many experiences to count where I have given $5-$10 bucks only to pass them again 15 minutes later and they've got a 40 in their hands. It has made me a bit jaded. It's even happened with a woman pushing a baby wrapped in a blanket in a shopping cart. I gave her what I had on me. Often times here, they will prowl in the grocery store parking lot asking for money. We've offered some of our groceries before and one guy even said "no, I need money cuz my kids are hungry"...um, I just offered you some food. I dunno. I do feel for people that are in need, but the ones that take advantage ("the bad apples") have really just turned me off. I've even given some people that I've seen repeatedly doing this a pamphlet for a local helping agency and one of them said to me "I don't need this sh!t, just give me your money". Really.

Our area in particular has been hit hard by this rough economy. I do what I can when I can, but in the end it's my choice what I do and I am ok with that.

I guess it is up to you but personally I would not be able to sleep at night if I only gave money to the homeless that were musically inclined. 

• i just love the "that's rude!" comments. that just made me laugh.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"