Baby Names

Is This Too Close??

I have fallen in love with the Hebrew name Gavriel for a boy. The thing is, I have a little nephew named Jonathan Gabriel who goes by Gabe. They consider his name to be Gabriel instead of Jonathan (his daddys name is Jonathan)

Is it too close to Gabriel even though he goes by Gabe?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Is This Too Close??

• I think it's too close within the same family. Also (I'd have to ask my husband about this because he studies Hebrew), isn't Gavriel just a varient of Gabriel? Lots of Hebrew names in the Bible have been Anglocized (Jezel, for instance, is pronounced "Isabel" in Hebrew, and Solomon sounds like "Shalomo").

I think you should keep looking. Maybe there's another Hebrew name you love!

VOTE on my Name List

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Depends on how close you are to your nephew, and what Gavriel's nn would be.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • imagealliejo725:

I think it's too close within the same family. Also (I'd have to ask my husband about this because he studies Hebrew), isn't Gavriel just a varient of Gabriel? Lots of Hebrew names in the Bible have been Anglocized (Jezel, for instance, is pronounced "Isabel" in Hebrew, and Solomon sounds like "Shalomo").

We had dinner with a friend of my mothers who had family over from Isreal and one of them was named Gavriel and I thought it was very pretty.

I dont really see my brother very much and I actually havent thought of any nn's for the name Gavriel. I just dont want people to be think its too close or like I copied or anything.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageLeggadine08:
    imagealliejo725:

I think it's too close within the same family. Also (I'd have to ask my husband about this because he studies Hebrew), isn't Gavriel just a varient of Gabriel? Lots of Hebrew names in the Bible have been Anglocized (Jezel, for instance, is pronounced "Isabel" in Hebrew, and Solomon sounds like "Shalomo").

We had dinner with a friend of my mothers who had family over from Isreal and one of them was named Gavriel and I thought it was very pretty.

I dont really see my brother very much and I actually havent thought of any nn's for the name Gavriel. I just dont want people to be think its too close or like I copied or anything.

Well, in the end it's up to you. If I were your SIL, I might suspect you were copying, or wonder why you couldn't find a name further from my son's name. But not everybody cares about that kind of thing. If there's a chance your brother and his wife could be annoyed, talk to them first.

But if you think it's not going to be a big deal or cause any drama, go for it. Only you can know how your family will handle it---and if their reaction is worth giving up the name for.

VOTE on my Name List

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Gavriel is a wonderful name, I love it. His nn could be 'Gav.'
  • Ooh Gav is a great NN!

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• imagebunnycakes011508:
    Gavriel is a wonderful name, I love it. His nn could be 'Gav.'

I agree! I love the nn 'Gav'!