Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Does anyone else have a fit-thrower yet?

My kid. He is a master fit thrower. It's a thing he has recently developed and I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I obviously can't put him in time out (LOL) or punish him in any way, but... Here's an example.

He LOVES to splash in the cat water. I can turn my back on him for five seconds and that's where he is. If it's not that, he's trying to eat the cat food. I tried redirection- screaming (and I mean SCREAMING, the ugliest noise you ever heard SCREAMING) ensued. So I moved the cat food and water to an area he can't get to. Now he looks at it and screams. I mean the kid loses his friggin mind. He throws himself around, kicks... He will even bang his head on the floor. Indifferent

For now, when he gets like this I've resorted to putting him in his crib. It usually ends up that he was tired and he falls asleep, but not before throwing the loudest, you're-torturing-me fit he can muster. I'm like, holy hel! how did I create this monster?? Surely, I haven't messed him up yet?

Perhaps this is a phase? I don't know, any ideas out there? My ears hurt.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Does anyone else have a fit-thrower yet?

• If you weren't KU i'd say we should have a glass of wine or a beer 'cause DD is currently screaming her head off and no matter what i do, she's not happy. Seriously, you would think i'm beating her with a red hot poker.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageFuzzy8252:
    If you weren't KU i'd say we should have a glass of wine or a beer 'cause DD is currently screaming her head off and no matter what i do, she's not happy. Seriously, you would think i'm beating her with a red hot poker.
    Does she do the growly scream where it sounds like they're hurting their throat? That one plays on my nerves so bad.
  • Loading the player...
  • Sometimes I feel like Liam is headed that way. 

Our "fits" occur after bath time.  I take him out of the bath and dry him off with a towel on the floor.  Well...he doesn't want to lay on the floor he wants to get up and look in the mirror at himself.  He will cry and whine and squeal and squirm around and stomp and kick his feet on the floor until I pick him up and put him in the mirror.  Then he's happy as a clam, like nothing ever happened.

I'm hoping that it's a phase.  He's so young I figure it has to be.  I'm not quite sure how to communicate to a 6 month old that whining/crying/pitching a fit won't work to get what you want.   

image image
  • I have one of those...oh wait, this isn't the tween board...my bad
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Photobucket
  • imagelaurieb602:
    I have one of those...oh wait, this isn't the tween board...my bad
    Hahaha hey! Come back! What should I do?!
  • Yes DD was "walking" him he got angry and threw himself backwards and rolled...
  • DD throws some bad fits! No screaming at the top of her lungs yet *knock on wood* but kicking and fake crying and throwing herself back (the back arching thing) and she recently started hitting. It makes me sad. I thought I did something wrong, it makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only parent of a fit thrower. DH and I are really calm around her and we barely ever even argue, never around her. Where do they learn these things!?
  • imagesleepingbeauty825:
    imagelaurieb602:
    I have one of those...oh wait, this isn't the tween board...my bad
    Hahaha hey! Come back! What should I do?!
    redirection? Maybe give him an empty bowl like the cat bowl to play with. If he gets into scream mode, crib time sounds like a good way to go. I ground mine or take away her cell phone so I'm at a loss unless Simon has a celly.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Photobucket
  • Our little munchkin wasn't breathing when he was first born but he has made up for it in screaming fits. The first three months he was colic and then he started seperation anx. at 4 months. Now he is just over 6 months and he knows what he is doing. He has started to back pedal and not bend when you try to put him down and he doesn't want to sit or lay down. Like someone else mentioned I can't put him in time out or reason with him at 6 months. It's frustrating!
  • I've got one too. Before it was small fits of just crying if he couldn't be held standing when he wanted to stand... now it's for whatever little thing makes him unhappy, sometimes I've no clue to what it is. He doesn't scream really, but he cries and gets the lip quivering and has a fit that way. It's definitely a fit though!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh yeah, Bryce throws fits too. He has this thing with playing with magazines and if I even try to take the magazine off of him he screams bloody murder. The one day I went to brush my teeth and I had him sitting on the floor and my husbands Maxim was sitting near him, so he scooted towards it ripped it to shreds. It was so ripped apart that we had to throw it out and my husband didn't even get to read it. I currently have a black eye because one of his fits that he threw and he smacked me in the eye.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Oh yeah, I told her dad I think she tries to act like a spoiled brat. He tells me DD is just an 8 month old baby. If this keeps going we will have a major fit thrower on our hands, and I am going to be a mean mommy I guess. Good luck ladies.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"