Success after IF

Ok, have we discussed "Sister Wives"?

Cause I hate Kody.  I really do, he's such an ass.
Ella- 8/22/08, Jules and Tuck- 12/15/10

Re: Ok, have we discussed "Sister Wives"?

• Im sure it has been talked about, but it is all so GROSS. He gives me the heebee jeebees...
    Severe MFI resulting in IVF/ICSI #1 in Nov 2007. BFP!!
    Our beautiful son was born July 2008.
    2010: 2 IVF's,1 FET = 2 BFN's, 1 c/p :(
    Feb 2011-Unmedicated FET= BFP!! DS #2 born Oct 2011!!.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The episode with Meri where she asks him to see it from her eyes.  And he says he can't bear to think of Meri dating another man and getting married, I think he used the term "vulgarity".  I wanted to throat kick him.

I saw the latest promo this morning on the next episode where there is a bomb dropped.  My friend and I are totally intrigued.  Here are my guesses:

1.  Robyn is pregnant (but I think this is least likely)

2. It has to do with her prior marriage.  Her ex-husband is David Preston Jessop.  Now with a name like Jessop in the polygamist ranks, that means something.  Jessop, think Warren Jeffs. Many of the women in Jeff's sect were named Jessop.  

So that is my guess....what's yours?

DH-NOA confirmed with TESE, ME-Unexplained After 1 Miscarriage, 6 IUI's, our little miracles are here. Proud Parents of Twins. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    We're Finally Three
  • Loading the player...
  • That show is the perfect example of a train wrek, that you can't stop looking at.

(I love it!)

Kody... yeah... creepy. It seemed like everything in their lives was just fine... he had been with the wives like 20, 17 & 15 years... NOW he gets a new one?!?!? Seems odd.... for the show? The other wives weren't 'doing it' for him anymore... I don't know. But I watch to find out ; 0

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMrs.Kiltlifter:

The episode with Meri where she asks him to see it from her eyes.  And he says he can't bear to think of Meri dating another man and getting married, I think he used the term "vulgarity".  I wanted to throat kick him.

DITTO! This is why I posted this.  Can it be the other way around in a polygamist relationship or can it only  be more than one wife?

I saw the latest promo this morning on the next episode where there is a bomb dropped.  My friend and I are totally intrigued.  Here are my guesses:

2. It has to do with her prior marriage.  Her ex-husband is David Preston Jessop.  Now with a name like Jessop in the polygamist ranks, that means something.  Jessop, think Warren Jeffs. Many of the women in Jeff's sect were named Jessop.  

I didn't see the preview, so I have no idea, but maybe he will break up with Robin?  

• I'm not a Mormon, but I just don't understand how he can share his time/energy/affection/money among 4 wives.  I would be totally feeling jilted if I was one of the wives because I want his time FULL TIME.

Also, why does he get multiple wives, but they don't get multiple husbands?

Allison
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageChristakim:
    imageMrs.Kiltlifter:

The episode with Meri where she asks him to see it from her eyes.  And he says he can't bear to think of Meri dating another man and getting married, I think he used the term "vulgarity".  I wanted to throat kick him.

DITTO! This is why I posted this.  Can it be the other way around in a polygamist relationship or can it only  be more than one wife?

I didn't see the preview, so I have no idea, but maybe he will break up with Robin?  

Wasn't that moment just totally ridiculous.  I seriously wanted to smack him.  And I am glad that Meri stood her ground regardless of whether it was a no win situation.  He gets to go about life courting a younger woman and having the feelings of euphoria with no remorse because that was the "plan" and the wives sit there and watch it.  I know this is their religion, and they choose this life, but it seems so one sided.  And the one thing I really like about the wives is that they are not the type to just roll over.  They do have spines.

DH-NOA confirmed with TESE, ME-Unexplained After 1 Miscarriage, 6 IUI's, our little miracles are here. Proud Parents of Twins. Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    We're Finally Three
  • imageMrs.Kiltlifter:
    imageChristakim:
    imageMrs.Kiltlifter:

Wasn't that moment just totally ridiculous.  I seriously wanted to smack him.  And I am glad that Meri stood her ground regardless of whether it was a no win situation.  He gets to go about life courting a younger woman and having the feelings of euphoria with no remorse because that was the "plan" and the wives sit there and watch it.  I know this is their religion, and they choose this life, but it seems so one sided.  And the one thing I really like about the wives is that they are not the type to just roll over.  They do have spines.

It's like he practices this religion just for the marriage aspect.  He doesn't seem like a religious man to me.

• Am I the only one that assumed the reason he ended up getting additional wives was b/c Meri was infertile? Seems like the douchey kind of thing he would do...
    *** It's funny because I'm fat ***
  • You knwo whats also so wrong about all this...if there was a show called Brother Husbands, people would have been arrested by now.  I feel like Men get away with crap like this so much easier than women.
    Severe MFI resulting in IVF/ICSI #1 in Nov 2007. BFP!!
    Our beautiful son was born July 2008.
    2010: 2 IVF's,1 FET = 2 BFN's, 1 c/p :(
    Feb 2011-Unmedicated FET= BFP!! DS #2 born Oct 2011!!.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageschmoodle:
    Am I the only one that assumed the reason he ended up getting additional wives was b/c Meri was infertile? Seems like the douchey kind of thing he would do...

I thought about this too and the fact that Kristen (is that her name) just had what was probably going to be her last baby, so he rounded up Robin who was young and fresh to have more kids.  Plus, he asked Meri to do IVF.  He wants more kids.  Definitely.

• I was raised Mormon and lived in Utah until I was 20 years old. Trust me, the family featured on Sister Wives is one of the most normal polygamist families I have ever seen.  The ones everyone sees on the news from the "ranch" or the "compound" are much more weird/extremist and strict in their practices. Kody and his family are actually pretty normal as far as polygamist families go in urban Utah cities (they are everywhere, just not usually not "out" publicly).

It's a really long story, but basically ALL Mormons were polygamists when Mormonism first began. It was a practice that was put into place both for religious and practical reasons. Then, when Utah wanted to become a state in the Union, the Mormon leaders were told they'd have to give up polygamy first. So that's when the Mormons split into 2 groups: what are now called "mainstream Mormons" who do not practice polygamy, and "fundamentalist" Mormons, or polygamists (they refused to give up the practice of polygamy just to appease political pressure). 

Anyway, without going into a big history lesson, I just wanted to say while I myself couldn't do the polygamist thing (I couldn't even do the Mormon thing anymore!), I do know many people, even family members, on both sides of the fence and they are actually very normal, loving, religious people who are just living their beliefs. Just another instance where I try to extend the same acceptance and understanding I'd ask for those who do not agree with my lifestyle. We all just gotta get along :) 

DW & I (yes, we're lesbians!) are using anonymous donor sperm and IUI TTC#1! Diagnosed with pituitary adenoma at age 16 2009: Extensive testing to find reason for irregular periods & rule out uterine cancer 10/2010: Dx possible PCOS / No Ovulation / Retroverted Uterus IUI #1 on 11/10/10 (50mg Clomid + Ovidrel trigger + Anonymous Donor Sperm) = BFN IUI #2 on 12/15/10 (50mg Clomid + Ovidrel trigger + Anonymous Donor Sperm) = BFP!!! Beta #1 = 75 (12dpiui) Beta #2 = 158 (14dpiui) Beta #3 = 333 (15dpiui) Beta #4 = 2,517 (19dpiui) First OB appointment and u/s 1/25/10 EDD: 9/7/11 BabyName Ticker
  • image2HopefulMoms:

I was raised Mormon and lived in Utah until I was 20 years old. Trust me, the family featured on Sister Wives is one of the most normal polygamist families I have ever seen.  The ones everyone sees on the news from the "ranch" or the "compound" are much more weird/extremist and strict in their practices. Kody and his family are actually pretty normal as far as polygamist families go in urban Utah cities (they are everywhere, just not usually not "out" publicly).

It's a really long story, but basically ALL Mormons were polygamists when Mormonism first began. It was a practice that was put into place both for religious and practical reasons. Then, when Utah wanted to become a state in the Union, the Mormon leaders were told they'd have to give up polygamy first. So that's when the Mormons split into 2 groups: what are now called "mainstream Mormons" who do not practice polygamy, and "fundamentalist" Mormons, or polygamists (they refused to give up the practice of polygamy just to appease political pressure). 

Anyway, without going into a big history lesson, I just wanted to say while I myself couldn't do the polygamist thing (I couldn't even do the Mormon thing anymore!), I do know many people, even family members, on both sides of the fence and they are actually very normal, loving, religious people who are just living their beliefs. Just another instance where I try to extend the same acceptance and understanding I'd ask for those who do not agree with my lifestyle. We all just gotta get along :) 

This is all very interesting to me to hear it from that perspective.

That said, I have not seen the show but watched them on Oprah where she featured the clip about Meri asking him to see it from her perspective and him saying "We have to stop talking about this because otherwise I'm going to really believe what i'm doing is wrong". Ummmmmmmmmm, FOOD FOR THOUGHT THERE BUDDY!
  • And robin said her ex husband and she were monogamous (is that how you spell it?!)
  • Yeah, that clip was interesting. I understood what he was saying just because I know the religion and how they teach. But it's really hard to explain it to someone outside of that. Meri also says in the same conversation that their family is exactly the way she wants it to be and that while she struggles with the practical challenges of polygamy, she knows it's what she believes from a religious standpoint. A lot of people in the mainstream Mormon religion say the same thing about certain requirements of the religion, because they are really strict. Not sure if that makes sense, and I really don't want to come across as defending one thing over another. I just think everyone should be able to choose their own lifestyle and I have a particular understanding of Mormonism and polygamy, having grown up in / around it.
    DW & I (yes, we're lesbians!) are using anonymous donor sperm and IUI TTC#1! Diagnosed with pituitary adenoma at age 16 2009: Extensive testing to find reason for irregular periods & rule out uterine cancer 10/2010: Dx possible PCOS / No Ovulation / Retroverted Uterus IUI #1 on 11/10/10 (50mg Clomid + Ovidrel trigger + Anonymous Donor Sperm) = BFN IUI #2 on 12/15/10 (50mg Clomid + Ovidrel trigger + Anonymous Donor Sperm) = BFP!!! Beta #1 = 75 (12dpiui) Beta #2 = 158 (14dpiui) Beta #3 = 333 (15dpiui) Beta #4 = 2,517 (19dpiui) First OB appointment and u/s 1/25/10 EDD: 9/7/11 BabyName Ticker
  • ---Christakim- It does seem like he does it to have lots of wives and tons of sex!

---Schmoodle- He has been married to Meri for 20 years, Janelle 17 years, and Christine 16 years.  So I think he was married to the other wives before they knew there was a problem.  But the other two wives probably conceived before she did.  Because it took him and Meri 5 years.  

---2hopeful- I love hearing the perspective.  I have remained very open to this show because it is their religion and I respect that.  I know this is normal for them and part of me is happy to see that they struggle with the lifestyle they choose.  Not sure if that makes sense.

---sommerayne- Robyn and her husband were polygamists but he never took a second wife.  That was a choice.  but the option was there.  She explained it in one of the episodes.  

We're Finally Three
  • image2HopefulMoms:
    Yeah, that clip was interesting. I understood what he was saying just because I know the religion and how they teach. But it's really hard to explain it to someone outside of that. Meri also says in the same conversation that their family is exactly the way she wants it to be and that while she struggles with the practical challenges of polygamy, she knows it's what she believes from a religious standpoint. A lot of people in the mainstream Mormon religion say the same thing about certain requirements of the religion, because they are really strict. Not sure if that makes sense, and I really don't want to come across as defending one thing over another. I just think everyone should be able to choose their own lifestyle and I have a particular understanding of Mormonism and polygamy, having grown up in / around it.

And I'm about the LEAST "lets regulate" people out there but this whole thing sounds like such a cluster f$ck for the kids growing up in it. Obviously, none of us know what REALLY goes on but even the older kids who talked on Oprah had OBVIOUSLY been coached - they're "happiness" looked so manufactured. Forced giggles, forced smiles, very staged answers, etc.
  • OK, I had a thought while watching this - it seems odd to me that they would be fundamentalist enough to believe in polygamy, but are OK with IVF. That just struck me as strange, since even more "mainstream" religions (Catholicism, for one), is not on board with IVF.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • Actually, after watching the show, I really dont see a problem with it as long as everyone in it agrees to it.  I can see the benefit of having another mom in the family, it would be nice to have a SAHM there if you needed to work.  You can share driving duties.  Plus, as long as everyone really does get along, you live with your best friends.  I dont think that they knew about Meri's problems before he married again, they were all married around the same time. 

What I really wanted to say about this show is that I'm glad that they are so open about their inferfility struggles and miscarriages.  They dont hide it, it is a part of their lives just like the kids that they have.  That has really made me respect them.  Also, they seem like normal people (except for the newest one, not crazy about her).  And how is the number of kids any different from the Duggars?  They certainly get more attention from their mothers since there are fewer kids per mom.

I went into it really skeptical but I think they are just sharing their life so people can be aware that it isnt all about the compounds and stuff that we see on the news.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

-----Lisa-----
  • imageLisaMarisa:

Actually, after watching the show, I really dont see a problem with it as long as everyone in it agrees to it.  I can see the benefit of having another mom in the family, it would be nice to have a SAHM there if you needed to work.  You can share driving duties.  Plus, as long as everyone really does get along, you live with your best friends. 

I totally agree with this, I don't really think the govt has any business regulating what goes on between consenting adults. I don't think I'd be comfortable living this way, but if others do, more power to them.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • I wonder if the government would care if there was a man, not married, who had four girlfriends and had children with all of them?  Say they all lived in separate houses, all in a row on one street.  The 'boyfriend' spent Monday night at one house, Tuesday night at the next house, and so on.  That's not against any law that I am aware of.

Is this not the same thing, only with cohabitation?  He only has a marriage license with Meri...so again, how is this illegal?  I'm so confused.

I couldn't be a sister wife, for sure...that would never work for me...but as long as these people aren't causing harm to other people, I can't figure out what is the big deal?

• Also, there are men who have kids with lots of women and never pay any attention to them or support them in any way (financially or emotionally).  At least this guy is supporting his family.

-----Lisa-----
  • Since we're on the government issue, this is my issue with the whole thing:

My friend lives there and says that since they are not "legally married" all of those mom's are considered single mothers except for the 1 that's legally married. Therefore, being a single mom and having many children often qualifies them for government funding, ie, welfare, food stamps, etc....and then they roll up in their Lexus' and Expeditions to pick up their checks. I do have an issue with that, especially since my husband and I have been hard at work since the ages of 15, both have Masters Degrees, work full time and are struggling big time...and get NO support from the government because we are married and only have 2 children. Yes, I am envious, but I also hate when people take advantage of the very systems they buck.

• imageccubride:

Since we're on the government issue, this is my issue with the whole thing:

My friend lives there and says that since they are not "legally married" all of those mom's are considered single mothers except for the 1 that's legally married. Therefore, being a single mom and having many children often qualifies them for government funding, ie, welfare, food stamps, etc....and then they roll up in their Lexus' and Expeditions to pick up their checks. I do have an issue with that, especially since my husband and I have been hard at work since the ages of 15, both have Masters Degrees, work full time and are struggling big time...and get NO support from the government because we are married and only have 2 children. Yes, I am envious, but I also hate when people take advantage of the very systems they buck.

Something to think about... if the government wont recognize their marriage and therefore they are being discriminated against, do they deserve to take advantage of said government?  They dont get any other benefits that married couples do.  Do they deserve something?  I'm not sure but I'm just thinking that the government is screwing them over, so why not screw the government, right?  Similar to gay marriage, if the government wont recognize it but there were other ways that gay couples could get some benefits, should they take them?  Honestly, I dont see polygamy as any different than gay marriage.  It makes them happy and it doesnt affect me so why not?  I dont mean to start a debate, just a thought.

-----Lisa-----
  • I think I know what the big surprise is.

3.Janelle eats the tar baby Truely Grace with two slices of burnt toast.Period. Kody probably then starts beating them all, like he does after every episode. The makeup artists really do a great job of covering it up. They all are smited by god. Show over.

• or Robyn Sullivan has AIDS and spread it amongst the family. Bad news bears, if you ask me.
  • Just so you know, they're not really "Mormons"... I am - and it is against the rules to be polygamist.  They may follow mormon doctorine on their own... but they're not really part of our religion.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"