2nd Trimester

Breast pumps and nipple shield??

Hi, I'm pregnant with my frist; I'm 21 weeks. And I was picking things for my baby registry. And I have things to ask.

1. On the breast pumps is electric or manual pumps better?

2. Do I need a breast pump?

3. What is a nipple shield?!

Re: Breast pumps and nipple shield??

• imageWickedVampireMom:

Hi, I'm pregnant with my frist; I'm 21 weeks. And I was picking things for my baby registry. And I have things to ask.

1. On the breast pumps is electric or manual pumps better?

electric is you are going back to work

not unless you plan on working or pumping, it is very handy though even if doing this.

a nipple shield if for latching problems. The hospital will start you off with one if you need one, its one of those thing you can go buy if you end up needing it. They are cheap cheap

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have been debating the whole breast pump thing also. I don't think I am going to get one until I need one. I plan on breastfeeding and also being a stay at home mom, so I guess unless I have problems breastfeeding or when I finally want a break from it is when I will get a breast pump. A nipple shield is something you put over your nipple when you are breastfeeding if you are having problems breastfeeding.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • as for the pump, it depends on your need.  obviously there is a big difference in cost.  i went back to work after DS, so i have a double electric.  if you plan to work, then a double electric is a must.  if you are a SAHM then you could probably get away with a manual but its going to be PITA anytime you plan to leave DC and need to leave a bottle.  if money isn't a huge issue, i'd get a double electric no matter what.

nipple shield - some people need to use these in order to BF but it's not recommend that you start by using one. so i wouldn't bother. 

DS - June 2009
    DD - February 2011
  • 1. I like an electric pump better, it pumps more faster

2. If you're planning on staying home, you may not need one, but it will be nice to have if your DH wants to help with feeding, or if you need help bringing your milk in.

3. A nipple shield is a plastic shield that fits over your nipple. It helps if your nipples get really sore, cracked, or raw. Another use (why I used one) is sometimes babies have a hard time latching onto their mother's nipples especially if her breasts are engorged. A nipple shield gives them something to really grab a hold of and pulls your nipple into it. Some people say they create nipple confusion, but I was successfully able to wean DS off of it and exclusively breastfeed for a full year. It was a real life saver for me since every time I went to feed DS (at first) it was a very frustrating full hour process, he wouldn't end up getting much to eat and we'd both be in tears.

252855_10150214241312114_262494087113_7012916_3895481_n-2Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker Siggy check.
  • I nipple shield goes over your nipple when breast feeding. It protects your nipple from bleeding and will also help to pull your nipple out to better breastfeed.

I was given one right away at the hospital and wish I didn't use it. I didn't know an better. My DD got used to the feel of it and wouldn't take my uncovered nipple. It was a pain to travel with and to always have with me.

The only thing it did help with was going from nursing to the bottle some nights. She was used to the plastic and therefore didn't seem to mind the bottle.

I wouldn't use it right away. I do not plan on using it with my next baby. But will ultimately use it if need be.

• 1. On the breast pumps is electric or manual pumps better?

Electric if you go back to work but after a year of pumping I couldn't hear the sound any longer and bought a manual one.

If you are going to pump yes, they are pricey so maybe see if breastfeeding works for you before opening it? 

Something you use if your baby has latching problems.

• My sister who BF 3 kids said that if you're staying home, and wont be pumping often, that manual works better. BUUUUUT, they take longer.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"