2nd Trimester

PSA: Gender is not the same as anatomical sex

Sorry, this is a major pet peeve of mine and I had to say it.

Gender is a psychological/social construct that can take years to develop.

Sex is the biological makeup that makes you male or female.

Oh and bonus PSA: the 20 week scan is not a "gender" scan or even a sex scan. It is an anatomy scan.

::gets down off soap box::

You can expect one of these posts a few times a month. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: PSA: Gender is not the same as anatomical sex

• eh, NDB.  I will still use them both to mean the same thing. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • One of my law school profs clerked for Ginsburg and swears this is the origin of people saying "gender" for "sex":

https://articles.latimes.com/1993-11-21/news/mn-59217_1_supreme-court 

• Loading the player...
  • Wow, our pet peeves are WAY different.

I look forward to the same exact post again.....lol

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sorry but in the medical field, especially ultrasound where I work, gender refers to the anatomical genetalia of an individual.  This isn't going to change anytimes soon. 

This is like me B!tching that people call me a Ultrasound Technician, which is seriously inaccurate and somewhat insulting, as in the medical imaging fielda a technician is someone without a degree.  Technically I am a Diagnostic Medical Sonographer, or Ultrasound Technologist, but there will always be someone who refers to us as Technicians.

• It bothers me, also, when people say "sex" when they are referring to the gender... just not enough to make multiple posts about it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I thought this was interesting the first time I heard this from you, but I researched the definition of gender and found:  The condition of being female or male; sex. 

I can understand that at work people may not want to be typing the word sex so the word gender is accepted as interchangable and doesn't bother me at all.

I didn't recall anyone saying gender scan.

I agree with PP that you and I have different pet peeves!! 

• imageBrittanie_1987:
    eh, NDB.  I will still use them both to mean the same thing. 

Yes 

• hmmmm....I couldn't care less.
  • imageBrittanie_1987:
    eh, NDB.  I will still use them both to mean the same thing. 

The same for me.  I think we all understand what an individual is referring to using either term.

Gunnar is my IVF miracle...after 4 years of TTC...Two cycles of IVF...Our little dude blessed us with his birth...I thank God everyday for him. Lilypie First Birthday tickers PhotobucketPhotobucket
  • ... but now I think I misread your post so maybe we disagree.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageMozzy24:
    hmmmm....I couldn't care less.

You're my favorite. Because I can't stand when people say "I could care less."

I just thought I'd throw that out there while we're posting about inane pet peeves.

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • It may not sound important, but I have many friends who struggle with their gender identity and the distinction is important to them.

Not a big deal, but I just wanted to have this little PSA for those people who didn't know that a persons gender and sex can be different.

I do realize they are often used interchangeably, but my argument is that maybe they shouldn't. 

• well, yes, techincally, but guess what?  i'm still going to refer to "finding out the sex" as finding out the gender.

they are interchangeable and until my child comes out to me as being TG then i don't care.

• imagekdodge423:
    imageHotomale:

I thought this was interesting the first time I heard this from you, but I researched the definition of gender and found:  The condition of being female or male; sex. 

I can understand that at work people may not want to be typing the word sex so the word gender is accepted as interchangable and doesn't bother me at all.

Really? Many, many, many posters call their anatomy scan their gender scan or gender ultrasound.

I don't agree or disagree with OP. but.

It isn't a gender scan unless you hired someone to do nothing, except tell you the ummm, sex. haha.

• imageWannaBeCrunchyMama:
    imagekdodge423:
    imageHotomale:

I thought this was interesting the first time I heard this from you, but I researched the definition of gender and found:  The condition of being female or male; sex. 

Really? Many, many, many posters call their anatomy scan their gender scan or gender ultrasound.

It isn't a gender scan unless you hired someone to do nothing, except tell you the ummm, sex. haha.

Thats true, I guess you could call it a gender/sex scan if you paid someone to do with that purpose in mind. 

Bonus point to you.
  • imageManiacMcGee:
    imageWannaBeCrunchyMama:
    imagekdodge423:
    imageHotomale:

Thats true, I guess you could call it a gender/sex scan if you paid someone to do with that purpose in mind. 

Bonus point to you.

True, but that's not what they are doing. They call their anatomy scan a gender scan. All.the.time. 

Our IVF Miracles! Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • image Anyway...
    252855_10150214241312114_262494087113_7012916_3895481_n-2Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker Siggy check.
  • :::YAWN:::
  • imagekdodge423:
    imageHotomale:

Agreed.  I believe the actual statistic is 90% of posters call it the "gender scan".

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BFP #1 ~ 1/26/2010 ~ MMC @ 6w6d discovered @ 11w3d ~ D&C 3/16/10
    BFP #2 ~ 4/22/2010 ~ EDD 12/29/2010 ~ Born 12/19/2010 ~ My Rainbow Baby
    BFP #3 ~ 6/10/2012 ~ EDD 2/20/2013 ~ HB 100bpm @ 9w3d ~ M/C 7/11/2012
    BFP #4 ~ 3/16/2013 ~ EDD 11/20/2013 ~ Born 11/17/2013 ~ Rainbow Baby #2
  • who the fark cares, seriously
    Allison Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagebootsnbananas:
    who the fark cares, seriously

Yes

I'm pretty sure that this post will not change anything. 

I'm also pretty sure that as a result of it, I will never hear someone say "gender scan" and think that they are going to find out the "psychological/social construct that can take years to develop".

• I was actually just discussing this very topic with my coworker.  I am an anthropologist, and I have read quite a bit of literature on the subject of biological sex vs. gender.  I agree that these two ideas are separate and distinct, although I also agree that American culture usually identifies gender=sex, and that probably isn't going to change any time soon.  And for the record, there are numerous cultures that actually utilize a third and sometimes fourth gender that individuals identify with, regardless of biological sex.  

Sorry, I know most of you don't care, and I probably wouldn't either if it wasn't something I had specifically researched.  But I did want to give my two cents to share with the original poster.   

• imageAshfieldMay:
    image Anyway...

This made my day! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker _MG_0566-2 - Copy (2)
  • imagelaurenwhitman410:

I was actually just discussing this very topic with my coworker.  I am an anthropologist, and I have read quite a bit of literature on the subject of biological sex vs. gender.  I agree that these two ideas are separate and distinct, although I also agree that American culture usually identifies gender=sex, and that probably isn't going to change any time soon.  And for the record, there are numerous cultures that actually utilize a third and sometimes fourth gender that individuals identify with, regardless of biological sex.  

Sorry, I know most of you don't care, and I probably wouldn't either if it wasn't something I had specifically researched.  But I did want to give my two cents to share with the original poster.   

I majored in anthropology so I care. But I just get excited when someone even knows what anthropology is LOL 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Since we're getting technical, gender is a social construct, but it is one that the parents and society assign based on sex. So unless you plan on finding out the sex but never using any gender specific color/clothes/etc, you are finding out the gender.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • OP, totally agree.  After doing a lot of work with LGBT groups in college, I'm much more aware of the importance of language.  Nothing wrong with encouraging people to use appropriate terminology, especially when the issue is important to you. 
  • I completely agree with the OP. After taking many social work/human relations classes I learned that they are not the same thing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"