Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Do you/did you put cereal in LO's bottle?

I never did with DD because the pedi said not to, it is a choking hazard but most people I know HAVE done it.

Most people on the bump seem to say not to, except maybe for reflux.

I used to feed DD a bowl of cereal then a bottle of breastmilk before bed and now DS is ready to start cereal and I was just going to do the same but would like some opinions on cereal in the bottle first!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Do you/did you put cereal in LO's bottle?

• My pedi said it's basically force feeding your child so we didn't even think about doing it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I never fed cereal at all. I didn't see the point.
  • Loading the player...
  • We started putting cereal in DDs bottles at 6 months and her pedi didn't object.
  • We never did. We also skipped cereal altogether.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Due December 16, 2012! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Still a choking hazard, still unnecessary.

I also wouldn't feed cereal right before bed either. A full belly doesn't equal sleeping longer IMO. Do you sleep longer after having a huge meal? I would stick to giving a couple teaspoons of cereal at breakfast and dinner then a bottle or nurse before bed. But again, just my opinion!

• i don't understand the point of doing this other than being lazy.   do a bottle separately and feed them the cereal with a spoon.  
  • Nope. We never put it in his bottle BUT we did (per the pedi) start spoon feeding him cereal (only like 2tsp a day) at 8 1/2w old b/c he was drinking like 56oz a day and his reflux was HORRIBLE.
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
    1/1 Spotting, 1/3 beta 36,000, 1/5 u/s empty sac measuring 7w (9w5d), 1/6 d&c
    You will always be loved & missed our sweet angel.
  • *although like the others said i never did cereal either--- and you should really wait until 6 moths to introduce solids. 
  • imageemmared1986:

Still a choking hazard, still unnecessary.

I also wouldn't feed cereal right before bed either. A full belly doesn't equal sleeping longer IMO. Do you sleep longer after having a huge meal? I would stick to giving a couple teaspoons of cereal at breakfast and dinner then a bottle or nurse before bed. But again, just my opinion!

DS STTN.  I'm doing it before bed because he drinks a HUGE bottle of breastmilk before bed (10-12 oz) and has been doing this since 2 months old.  My supply is starting to drop at night and I can't keep up (it's ok during the day) so I thought maybe he was ready for something else in addition to the bottle in the evening.

• No. DS didn't have any cereal at all. Ever.
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers image
  • imagedots&loops:
    *although like the others said i never did cereal either--- and you should really wait until 6 moths to introduce solids. 

This is just your opinion. It is generally recommended between 4-6 months. We started at 5 months because he was nursing so much and still having to have supplimentary bottles. He hasn't had any issues. It is the OPs decision on when to begin.

• imageSunflower55014:
    We never did. We also skipped cereal altogether.

same here 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageemmared1986:

imagedots&loops:
    *although like the others said i never did cereal either--- and you should really wait until 6 moths to introduce solids. 

This is just your opinion. It is generally recommended between 4-6 months. We started at 5 months because he was nursing so much and still having to have supplimentary bottles. He hasn't had any issues. It is the OPs decision on when to begin.

Thank you. This is exactly the reason why I was thinking about cereal now.  I have been there before and did cereal at 5 1/2 months with DD and waited until 6 months for other foods.  I don't think 5 months is that big of a deal if he's hungry and ready. 

• imageemmared1986:

imagedots&loops:

no, actually it's not an 'opinion' , do some research on a baby's digestive system.  allergy issues aside, a baby's stomach isn't matured enough until 6 months to do solids.  can you do it before? sure.  but what is the rush??

• imageemmared1986:

imagedots&loops:

Actually it's not just HER opinion.

https://www.who.int/inf-pr-2001/en/note2001-07.html

https://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/t032000.asp

https://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html

https://www.espghan.med.up.pt/position_papers/con_28.pdf

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers image
  • imagedots&loops:
    imageemmared1986:

imagedots&loops:

no, actually it's not an 'opinion' , do some research on a baby's digestive system.  allergy issues aside, a baby's stomach isn't matured enough until 6 months to do solids.  can you do it before? sure.  but what is the rush??

I must agree. I have seen it recommended for a BF baby getting rice cereal before 6 months since the main reason for it is iron intake. A BF baby just doesn't need the iron until then. FF babies can get cereal 4-6 months because they aren't getting the same iron from the BM. But no, a baby's stomach isn't really mature at that point.

We never did rice cereal in a bottle. It doesn't teach a child HOW to eat. For reflux, I totally understand, but I hate the argument about STTN crap. We started with bananas and avocado at 6 months. We did use cereal around 6.5 to thicken up purees.

• imagedots&loops:
    imageemmared1986:

imagedots&loops:

So all the pediatricians who recommend 4-6 months are misinformed? Glad we have kellymom.com to correct them...

• We didn't and won't with #2.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sounds like OP is gonna do what she want's to anyway but for what it's worth. Yes I did do it a few times. That was before I knew it was a choking hazard. It did not help w/ STTN, reflux or anything else. It made her constipation worse and is completely unnecesary. For the next DC we will not give cereal. It's pointless and has no nutritional value. And the iron crap doesn't count. That's what caused all the constipation.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageemmared1986:
    imagedots&loops:
    imageemmared1986:

imagedots&loops:

So all the pediatricians who recommend 4-6 months are misinformed? Glad we have kellymom.com to correct them...

a lot of pediatricians recommend formula too,  turning the car-seat forward at 1 year / 20 lbs and CIO at 3 months.    I think you need to do your own research and be informed, not blindly follow what could be old advice.

• imagedots&loops:
    imageemmared1986:
    imagedots&loops:
    imageemmared1986:

imagedots&loops:

a lot of pediatricians recommend formula too,  turning the car-seat forward at 1 year / 20 lbs and CIO at 3 months.    I think you need to do your own research and be informed, not blindly follow what could be old advice.

I agree with not blindly following old advice... but formula? How is that old advice? I have never met a pedi or doctor that would recommend formula over BM. (And I am of the mindset that as long as you are feeding your kid one of those you are good with me). 

• imagemandyclaire579:
    imagedots&loops:
    imageemmared1986:

imagedots&loops:

I must agree. I have seen it recommended for a BF baby getting rice cereal before 6 months since the main reason for it is iron intake. A BF baby just doesn't need the iron until then. FF babies can get cereal 4-6 months because they aren't getting the same iron from the BM. But no, a baby's stomach isn't really mature at that point.

We never did rice cereal in a bottle. It doesn't teach a child HOW to eat. For reflux, I totally understand, but I hate the argument about STTN crap. We started with bananas and avocado at 6 months. We did use cereal around 6.5 to thicken up purees.

This is wrong.  Formula is iron fortified.  FF babies get plenty of iron from formula.  Sometime around 6 months, many BF babies DO NOT get enough iron from BM, thus cereal is sometimes recommended for iron.  That said, I EBF both my kids and didn't do any cereal in the bottle or any until 6 months because they both had dairy allergies so I wanted to wait and introduce foods later and slower.

• I don't want to jump in this whole debate since I've done it 1,000xs already. We did at 8 weeks for reflux and DS eating almost 50oz BM/day. I'm anemic & DS was low on his iron so cereal was important for him to keep eating cereal. W/ that being said, i wouldn't do it just to do it. What did your pedi say? We introduced 2-3 foods at 5 months when pedi okayed it.
  • We also didn't give DS baby cereal ever.  It really has no nutritional value, constipates babies and iron is absorbed better from iron-rich foods then fortified ones. 
  • imagewellfleet04:
    imagemandyclaire579:
    imagedots&loops:
    imageemmared1986:

imagedots&loops:

This is wrong.  Formula is iron fortified.  FF babies get plenty of iron from formula.  Sometime around 6 months, many BF babies DO NOT get enough iron from BM, thus cereal is sometimes recommended for iron.  That said, I EBF both my kids and didn't do any cereal in the bottle or any until 6 months because they both had dairy allergies so I wanted to wait and introduce foods later and slower.

Yup, that's why I said BF babies don't need cereal until six months. And actually, if you read up on it, many doctors agree that the iron in the cereal isn't even digested or absorbed the same as naturally occurring iron. I was under the impression that FF babies were allowed solids at an earlier stage because the formula is fortified and not "natural" so additional iron would be fine for them. I haven't read up that much on that end though.

I don't care that parents feed solids early, but it is common knowledge that BF babies are *usually* not advised to have anything other than BM until after 6 months. And many docs will tell you they don't need ANY solids until 9-12 months if they are still nursing well. Many parents just want to start solids early. It's fun to watch your baby eat from a spoon for the first time! I have to admit that it took a little will power to wait until 6 monthsEmbarrassed

• Ok since this is turning out to be a huge debate, I'll give more background info....At DS' 4 month appt, the pedi said it was ok to do cereal if DS started waking at night or acting hungry. 

She recommends waiting until 6 months for solids but said cereal was ok if he seems to want it.  DS weighed 17 pounds 8 oz at his 4 month appt and is obviously huge so we talked about the possibility of me not being able to keep up with his appetite. 

I asked about skipping rice cereal and going to the whole grain kind because DD was very constipated from the rice cereal and I am afraid this will happen with DS and then it will turn into him needing prunes, prune juice etc (which I don't want to start any fruits/veggies until 6 months) and the pedi said to try the rice cereal for a few days then go to whole grain.

I get what people are saying about waiting until 6 months but in all actuality I will probably wait another week or 2 anyway, and he will be about 5 1/2 months then so honestly I don't think a couple weeks is worth getting all worked up for.  I know tons of people who start cereal way before this and I am not one of them.  I EBF, made my own organic babyfood for DD and will for DS.  I work extremely hard to make sure that my kids are well fed am am trying to do what I think is best for them!

• We do now, but didn't when he was little. I wish we had....but he aspirates liquid when he drinks, so we have to. Had I known what a miracle it was for him, I would have done it sooner! However, under normal circumstances, I wouldn't. It has absolutely no benefit.
  • no, never. I recommend it for reflux babies on formula, but DS was EBF and mixing cereal in breastmilk doesn't thicken it the same way as it does formula. Plus he got it from the tap anyway at home.

Next time we probably won't even do cereal at all, other than in combos with fruits/veggies.

• We were given the greenlight to give ds cereal, but again, it was due to reflux.  He was on Prilosec 2x a day, and he would still scream after a bottle.  We had problems though, because ds had a poor latch and needed to be propped up while giving a bottle.  The cross cut nipple just seemed to be too fast for him, and the slower flow nipple would clog with cereal.  All in all, it didn't work for us.  I'm not against it, but I certainly wouldn't use it as a means to get a child to sleep through the night.
  • I would never risk the choking factor with my kids.  If they were that hungry after having formula or BM, then I would just start them on solids instead.
  • No; to me it has a lot more cons than pros (except in some cases for reflux). My boys did both have reflux but I don't think the cereal would've helped and from what I've read you need to add a pretty high concentration of cereal for it to be effective, and then they're getting a lot less of the nutrition they need from the formula. (e.g. if they're hungry enough for 28 oz of formula a day, I want them to get 28 oz of formula; not 8 oz of rice cereal and 20 oz of formula.)

We started solids at 6.5 months. We did some veggies first, then some fruits, and introduced cereal (mixed with purees, and by far mostly oatmeal rather than rice cereal) starting around 8m. 

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Only for reflux when he was around 4 mos and we only did that maybe a handful of time because he was EBF and he never really took a bottle.
  • We didn't. Choking hazard.
  • Nope. He had reflux and we still didn't. We used a thickening agent instead.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"