2nd Trimester

I have a question about vaccinating your child

I have seen debates on here about vaccinating or not.  Or people who do not believe in vaccinating.  Are these people just refering to things like flu shots, or is it all  vaccines.  Because where I live there are certain things you have to vaccinate your children for or they are not allowed to begin school.  And unless you homeschool; you are not allowed to keep your children home, and have to vaccinate.  So I guess I am just wondering if the rules are different in other places or I am just misunderstanding.
        image image  image 
To be loved, and to be in love

Re: I have a question about vaccinating your child

• You can opt out of vaccines for religious reasons in some states, and still attend public schools.

?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageErin0922:

You can opt out of vaccines for religious reasons in some states, and still attend public schools.

This is the only way I have heard of. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker _MG_0566-2 - Copy (2)
  • Loading the player...
  • Honestly, I've wondered the same thing. I read you post and thought "She must live around where I live cause that's how it is here too..." And yep, a fellow maritimer!
  •  Yes, they are talking about ALL vaccines ... and they use the below reasoning or excuse to do it, regardless of where they live.

imageErin0922:

You can opt out of vaccines for religious reasons in some states, and still attend public schools.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Mouse ~ 06.12.08 | The Froggy ~ 02.23.11

• It's becoming more common that states are making laws that say your child must be vaccinated to enroll in school.  But in Texas, you are allowed to file a waiver for daycare if you choose not to vaccinate.  My DCP has put forth a policy that they will not accept waivers, which I agree with.  If you choose to not vaccinate your child, that is fine, but don't put my child at risk by putting them in daycare.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagece897:
    imageErin0922:

This is the only way I have heard of. 

Yep and honestly, depending on your state/school all you have to do is sign something that says this is why you've decided to opt out and they don't do anything else about it.

I'm pro (alternate schedule) vaccines but I have a friend who has never vaccinated her children and one started school this year and she said it wasn't a problem at all for her child to attend school without the vaccines and she doesn't opt out for religious reasons...but the school doesn't check into it if you say you do.  

• image~Flossie~:
    Honestly, I've wondered the same thing. I read you post and thought "She must live around where I live cause that's how it is here too..." And yep, a fellow maritimer!

I just looked up the Canadian laws and there are only 3 provinces that require proof of immunization to go to school apparantely. 

image image  image 
    To be loved, and to be in love
  • You can opt out for religious reasons.  Also, some children (like mine) have food allergies and can't get certain shots due to them. 

Luckily we'll be homeschooling so I won't have to jump through any hoops.

• imageMrsTotty:

Yes, they are talking about ALL vaccines ... and they use the below reasoning or excuse to do it, regardless of where they live.

imageErin0922:

Yep.  I think we'll see some changes in the next few years, though.  I'm in CA and there is a whooping cough epidemic and the state is looking to make the exemption route much more difficult.  I will only send DD to the child care center on our Marine base because they only allow medical exemptions.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • You just reminded me to check because my DS's school was asking for his records this week since we just moved here.  They got them.  He's had over 20 vaccines since he was born.  Poor kid!  Indifferent
  • My parent's didn't believe in vaccinating and like pp suggested we claimed religious exemption.  We had to get something signed by our pastor but it still worked. 
  • imagebootsie08:
    imageMrsTotty:

Yes, they are talking about ALL vaccines ... and they use the below reasoning or excuse to do it, regardless of where they live.

imageErin0922:

Yep.  I think we'll see some changes in the next few years, though.  I'm in CA and there is a whooping cough epidemic and the state is looking to make the exemption route much more difficult.  I will only send DD to the child care center on our Marine base because they only allow medical exemptions.  

Parents are entitled to make whatever choices are best for their children but when your choices put other children at risk it becomes an issue. I believe 9 infants have died from pertussis so far and that is just horrible.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Public schools in my area require vaccines as well. And as a public school teacher, I'm thankful for this. If a child came to school today with rubella (the R of the MMR vaccine), it could cause serious harm to my unborn child, including severe mental retardation or miscarriage. I've always thought that if you decide not to vaccinate your child, you should be responsible enough home school them so they don't put the public at risk for diseases that are so easily preventable.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageniceybee05:
    imagebootsie08:
    imageMrsTotty:

imageErin0922:

Parents are entitled to make whatever choices are best for their children but when your choices put other children at risk it becomes an issue. I believe 9 infants have died from pertussis so far and that is just horrible.

ITA.  I read an article a few weeks ago that said the state had determined that all of the infants who died were exposed to a non-vaccinated child. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think some are talking about opting out of some vaccines while others are considering an alternative schedule.  IMHO, not vaccinating your child (without a medical reason, like adamswife) is being an irresponsible citizen, although I have no problem with alternative schedules if they are arranged properly and with thought with a pediatrician.

Married 12/8/07 | Sleeve Gastrectomy 10/19/09
    BFP#1 DD born 3/9/11 | BFP#4 DD born 9/20/13
    BFP#2 6/21/12, M/C at 5w2d | BFP#3 11/27/12, M/C at 6w6d
  • imageCutieBean79:
    I think some are talking about opting out of some vaccines while others are considering an alternative schedule.  IMHO, not vaccinating your child (without a medical reason, like adamswife) is being an irresponsible citizen, although I have no problem with alternative schedules if they are arranged properly and with thought with a pediatrician.

I completely agree with this! it is so irresponsible and you're putting other children at risk. I would NEVER let my child play with another child that's not vaccinated. I don't need my kid getting sick because of some crazy idea that vaccines are evil.

• imageCutieBean79:
    I think some are talking about opting out of some vaccines while others are considering an alternative schedule.  IMHO, not vaccinating your child (without a medical reason, like adamswife) is being an irresponsible citizen, although I have no problem with alternative schedules if they are arranged properly and with thought with a pediatrician.

Just so that I'm being completely honest - only one of my children has food allergies and there is only one vaccine that we have to opt out of because of it - the flu vax.  We opt out of chicken pox and rotavirus for other reasons, and don't give the flu vaccine to my other son even though he isn't allergic.  We get the rest of the vaccines on schedule, but only get one shot per visit, split up combo shots, and go in every two weeks until we are caught up.

I don't feel irresponsible for opting out of the shots that we have chosen to opt out of.  My children aren't in daycare, we will be homeschooling, and I don't feel rotavirus, chicken pox, and the flu are life threatening for my children.  But I understand if other parents feel that it is irresponsible, because I have similar views about being vaccinated for 9-10 different diseases at one time.  As parents we all have to make our own choices as to what we feel is best for our kids.

• image3PupsAndABaby:

imageCutieBean79:

I completely agree with this! it is so irresponsible and you're putting other children at risk. I would NEVER let my child play with another child that's not vaccinated. I don't need my kid getting sick because of some crazy idea that vaccines are evil.

I understand why you feel this way.  I'm just wondering how you plan to enforce this (no snark intended at all)?  Are you going to ask every parent of every child that comes over for playdates?  Are you going to go around and ask at the park or playground before you let your child on the equipment?  Are you going to ask every parent at library hour before your child sits down next to them? 

I understand your feelings, because I also choose to vaccinate for diseases that I feel are important and if I had my way I wouldn't want my kids playing around other children that could potentially be carrying the disease until they are fully vaccinated, but I just don't think that it is possible to do. 

• imageStapier01:
    Public schools in my area require vaccines as well. And as a public school teacher, I'm thankful for this. If a child came to school today with rubella (the R of the MMR vaccine), it could cause serious harm to my unborn child, including severe mental retardation or miscarriage. I've always thought that if you decide not to vaccinate your child, you should be responsible enough home school them so they don't put the public at risk for diseases that are so easily preventable.

Yes  from a fellow teacher!

• imageIncogNeato:

imageStapier01:
    Public schools in my area require vaccines as well. And as a public school teacher, I'm thankful for this. If a child came to school today with rubella (the R of the MMR vaccine), it could cause serious harm to my unborn child, including severe mental retardation or miscarriage. I've always thought that if you decide not to vaccinate your child, you should be responsible enough home school them so they don't put the public at risk for diseases that are so easily preventable.

Yes  from a fellow teacher!

Yes From a healthcare worker, who feels that parents who don't vaccinate their children due to total fear-mongering and lack of educated research put the rest of society at risk. 

The fact that parents put their children at risk of deadly, PREVENTABLE diseases is beyond me and I hope all states ban these children from our school systems. 

• And in response to the poster whose kids can't take some vaccines due to allergies, I have no problem with that obviously, and that's exactly why I think kids who CAN get vaccinated should- to help provide herd immunity and protect those who can't get their shots.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"