Washington Babies

Lack of nursing clothes selection

Has anyone else noticed that there is a serious lack of good, reasonably priced nursing clothes; especially in appropriate sizes?  The only things that I seem to be able find anywhere, including online, are nightgowns and a few cami-style tops that don't fit the "nursing sized" mommy.  Does the world only think of nursing mothers as cows?  Are we supposed to just hang out in bed all day feeding the baby?  I'm getting tired of wearing my husbands shirts and quite frankly, I would really appreciate a nice, girlie, but appropriate nursing top that I could wear in public and feel pretty in

Sorry about the rant.  I just wanted to know if I am not the only one with this issue on my mind. And if there's a solution.

Re: Lack of nursing clothes selection

• Have you tried just wearing nursing tanks under your regular shirts? That's what I do and it is so much easier (and cheaper) than special nursing clothes for me. The nursing tank allows quick access, but still covers well when you lift up/unbutton your regular shirt.

• I found it easier to just wear regular clothes quite honestly.  Trying to pull up one layer while keeping another layer down, or fishing your boob through some weird slit in a shirt.... all of that was harder than just lifting my shirt up.  The baby covers everything.  You can also put a bella band under your shirt to cover your tummy if  that's what you're most worried about.  I thought about that after I had already given mine away. 
  • Loading the player...
  • oh, and when I actually did buy nursing clothes, I found them on line mostly at motherwear.com and expressiva.com
  • Gap has a nursing shirt that I want to get. All others have been through random websites and are $$. So, I will stick with my tanks and regular shirts.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I completly agree. Or they think that because you are nursing, you have to look like a frumpy mommie. And certainly you must wear mom jeans with the ugly tops. I actually prefer to find nursing tops because I'm fairly modest and don't want my boobs or top of chest open-aired. We use a nursing cover but I have to use a nipple shield and I fumble around under there a lot. That said, I do have mostly nursing tanks from target since that's all I can really find or care to afford.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was going to ask this exact same question.  It seems silly to spend so much $$ for nursing clothes.  I know I'm going to have a mama belly to hide, so the super-tight nursing shirts won't work for me, but I also don't want frumpwear.  So far I've just gotten a few tanks from Target and am hoping that motherwear.com, zulily, etc. will have some sales in the next few weeks/months.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I too just bought nursing tanks and wore them each and everyday for the entire year i nursed. I just 2 weeks ago started wearing bras again. :) As long as my belly was covered, I was all good. Lifting up your shirt is pretty easy and as Jill said, the baby covered everything. I did buy a few tops from motherwear.com with baby #1, but they were a pain and hard to find the opening, so I only wore them twice. I nursed both babies for 13 months each, used the same tanks only buying 3 new ones for baby number 2, and I had about 10 or so tanks. I wore then 24/7, even to bed. They do last a long time with lots of use. Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Nursing tanks, nursing tanks, nursing tanks, y'all! Covers your tum. :)

I bought a few nursing tops from Old Navy online and they were reasonably priced.

Check it out... :)

https://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=41578

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I wear nursing tanks at home, but I can't go out in public with them because I just don't feel supported enough [I like the girls up a bit and nursing has made me a lot bigger and a lot, um, lower]. 

I wear my stretchy maternity tanks still under everything, and just pull them down along wtih my nursing bra, and just wear regular shirts.  That way my tummy is covered.

J + J = K image Photo by J. Shelton Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have loved my Expressiva nursingwear tops, especially their $17.99 specials

https://www.expressiva.com/store/Clearance-Overstock-p-1-c-8.html

Their prices on Bravado bras unbeatable -if you are going to spend, you may as well spend less.

I'm done nursing now - anybody know where I can sell my nursing tops?

• You know what?  I thought of that, too.  I can't find a nursing tank that fits, though.  I've got a small waist and a fuller than normal top, so most of the tanks don't cover anything. :(
  • imagecoletheresar:
    You know what?  I thought of that, too.  I can't find a nursing tank that fits, though.  I've got a small waist and a fuller than normal top, so most of the tanks don't cover anything. :(
    My absolute favorite tank was a Le Leche League brand that I bought at the hospital shop. It was super snug in the waist, and tons of coverage, with a higher neckline too. It was so snug, you can wear it strapless. It comes with 2sets of removable straps. LOVE it!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I would LOVE to see them tackle this on Project Runway!!!  It is a terrible selection. 
  • I just looked at that website!  It's pretty good.  I love their clothes.  I'm definitely going to keep my eyes open for deals when they come along.  Thanks!
  • How do nursing tanks work for women that are a little larger up top?  I'm a 32 around the middle, but like an I cup.  Ugh.  This has been one of my biggest dilemmas.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"