Baby Showers

ANYONE PLANNING THERE OWN BABY SHOWER

The one I always thought would be throwing me a shower is no longer in my life, I dont know whats going to happen now, I mean possibly my sister in laws may do it, but I feel like I shoulnt count on it and maybe I should start planning my own.

Any suggestions?

Re: ANYONE PLANNING THERE OWN BABY SHOWER

• I suggest you not do it.
  • Why on earth would you want to do this?
  • Loading the player...
  • A shower is a gift TO you, not a right. if no one offers to throw one, then you don't have one.  Does it suck?  Sure.  But as a shower is about gifts, it's tacky to throw your own.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Planning your own baby shower is VERY tacky. A shower is a special gift that someone gives you, no one is obligated to throw you one.
  • Honestly, I wanted to throw my own...maybe thats my own selfish personality, but I wanted it done MY way....then MIL and my sister stepped in, and wont let me do a thing.

You'll get flamed for this, though. If you want it, do it. If someone wants to step in and help, let them. Its your pregnancy, and your baby.

Do what you wish with it, no matter how "tacky" it is.

Photobucket
  • imagerawrandstuffx10:

Honestly, I wanted to throw my own...maybe thats my own selfish personality, but I wanted it done MY way....then MIL and my sister stepped in, and wont let me do a thing.

You'll get flamed for this, though. If you want it, do it. If someone wants to step in and help, let them. Its your pregnancy, and your baby.

I agree with this.

I was asked to help plan my shower by my hosts. So that's what I'm doing. 

• I guess you guys are right, I wasnt thinking about the tacky part I just always thought I would have one. Thats why I posted this Question , to get thoughts, Not flamed

Thanks

• If you want to celebrate your baby, keep in mind that after the baby is born, you can throw a "meet the baby" party.  That's about the baby, not about gifts.  People will often still bring gifts - but as that's not the point, and you aren't asking for gifts, it's o.k. to throw your own. 

Obviously, this doesn't help out from the perspective of people helping you buy a lot of the "must haves", but it still allows you the celebration aspect.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• imageREELNAUTI:

The one I always thought would be throwing me a shower is no longer in my life, I dont know whats going to happen now, I mean possibly my sister in laws may do it, but I feel like I shoulnt count on it and maybe I should start planning my own.

Any suggestions?

Yeah - one suggestion. Don't do it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree you were just asking, people shouldn't be so harsh.  You were just hoping to celebrate and don't want to feel like someone should be obligated to have a shower for you.
  • if you want to throw your own shower you wait till after the baby is born and have a party for him.. you don't get to throw your own shower..
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would not suggest throwing your own shower.  Hopefully your sister-in-law will step up or even one of your friends.  Is you mother or mother-in-law not in your life?  If this is your first baby then I would hope one of them would step-up.  If no one does...then I would definitely host your own "meet the baby party".  I hosted a shower after the baby was born for a friend of mine...that is the way she wanted it since she didn't know the sex of the baby.  It worked out great.  Newborns don't need a ton of stuff.  Even if you host a "meet the baby party" and not a "shower" most people will bring your baby gifts. 
  • Ditto on the "Meet The Baby" party. You can do a BBQ, or small brunch so you can show off the nursery as well. Greed is unbecoming and as many of these ladies have said, you cannot corral people instead showering you with gifts.
  • I totally agree with this. This is my first child and everyone who offered to throw my shower backed out at the last minute due to financial hardships and other issues. I started planning my own shower at like 33 weeks because of it( that and I wanted things done my way) lucky for me my mother's co-worker loves doing these types of things and took over after I gave her an invitation. I don't care how "tacky" people would have thought it to be, had she not taken over I still would have thrown it myself. I know its supposed to be a gift to you and all that other stuff, but this being my first and probably last i wanted to have a shower and share my excitement and just experience what all of my other friends and family members had at their showers. BTW we finally decided on name..its long but  all parties are happy. Chloe Monae Lauren ( pronounced as you would say Sophia Loren) Corbett.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My mom organized it and asked me to get some friends together to plan it  ( I live 3000km away and was visiting) I asked my best friend and I gave them the guestlist ( mom took care of family side and bff and I took care of friends) I knew when/where it was, who was going.. etc.. My family isn't the type of people to plan parties but wanted to do the shower and just asked for my help. I don't see anything wrong with it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ms. Tiffani, it is not a very good idea to put your child-to-be's full name on the internet (which makes it easy to figure out your full name as well).

Plus, what does your child's name have anything to do with this post?  Did you mean to post on the baby names board?

• Well, I am an Event Planner AND Invitation Designer, so I absolutely CRINGED at the thought of someone else planning my party.
    I had to practically beg my sister to let me help. It's just in my blood- I know what I want, and I know what it needs to look like.  I only get this once, and my wedding was a f*cking disaster, so I want this to be MY WAY, and perfect.  :)  
    So if there's no one else to plan it, I say go for it.  If it makes you uncomfortable, maybe your husband could throw it for you (I apologize in advance if you aren't married or whatever, I'm just trying to give ideas).

Just do what makes you happy.  And if it still bothers you or you are worried what others think, just call the party something different.  Like, instead of a baby shower, maybe think of it as - the time before 1 becomes 2.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree being an event planner I had to stick my nose in any chance I got. I like things my way and my friends were 100% happy with my inputs.

I always thought it was about showering the baby not necissarily a gift for the mother so who cares if you plan your own. If you dont want to seem tacky just mention it's not about the presents but about coming together and celebrating the pregnancy/baby. If the people you invite are your true friends and family they will understand how much it means to you and won't think your tacky for doing so.

Also for those that mentioned about having one after the baby is born is a great idea to.

Good Luck

• Goes to show you being an event planner does not make you an expert in ettiquette.

Even if you are a major control freak it's still tacky to throw your own shower. And your husband or father to be throwing it is just as tacky.

A shower is something that is thrown for you. If no one throws you one, you don't get one. I'm sorry but that's how it goes. And just because no one has the nerve to call you gift grabby to your face doesn't mean they don't think it or aren't talking about it amongst themselves.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagerawrandstuffx10:

Honestly, I wanted to throw my own...maybe thats my own selfish personality, but I wanted it done MY way....then MIL and my sister stepped in, and wont let me do a thing.

I say do what YOU want to do. They are going to go very hard on you.

• I'm pretty much planning my own. I had a friend who was all about throwing me a shower but she seems to have gotten wrapped up other things, plus finacially we would have ended up paying for it anyways. I have another friend who is helping with the invitations and my mother is getting the cake. I recently moved to a new city so most of my closest friends don't live here either. I don't think its tacky at all, its not all about the gifts either. For those people who say your being selfish, they are only thinking about the gifts. Everyone has the right to a baby shower to celebrate a new life and if you have to take it into your own hands then do it!!
  • You mentioned your sister-in-law...You can always just ask her to do it, if you feel comfortable.  Maybe tell her that you will help in any way, but that you are feeling a little awkward about planning your own.  I think everyone deserves one!  Most people probably will not even know you are the one planning it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"