3rd Trimester

Vent: Co-irker talks in baby talk

It drives me insane! This woman is in her 50's! When she calls me she ALWAYS says "Heh-whoa Mawissa!" Then she will speak normal, then go back to baby talk to say goodbye.

I always want to scream at her and say "My name is Melissa! Not Mawissa!" 

My daughter has also picked up this habit from someone at school. I can't stress to her enough how much this is not okay! 

Re: Vent: Co-irker talks in baby talk

• Have you tried talking back in baby talk?  That might freak her out and make her realize she is a tad bit coo coo for cocoa puffs.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thats Frekin WEIRD. ew.

4-7-11 - Natural MC @ 4w5d 6-27-11- MC @ 5w6dPgAL/PAL WelcomeDD#1- 8/20/2010DD#2- 6/21/2012EDD #3~ 5/1/2014 ~ Team Green
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • KRB8KRB8 member
    I can't stand baby talk from adults either. That would drive me nuts too.
  • Jeane_PJeane_P member
    You should pretend that she has the wrong number..."Mewissa, I'm sorry you have the wrong number" and hang up on her.  I'm sure when she calls back it would throw her off her game.
  • imagenooniesgal:
    Have you tried talking back in baby talk?  That might freak her out and make her realize she is a tad bit coo coo for cocoa puffs.

This.. I'd do it back. Ever since I got preg my grandmother has talked to me in baby talk. It drives me effing crazy. I get she's old and stuff.. and I can get baby talking umm well..the baby! But talking to me like that just isn't cool.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFetus Ticker  
    Ashley, DH: Paul
    Angel Baby: March 09
    #1-BFP: 11.17.09~EDD: 7.21.10~Tristan born 7.13.10 via unnecessary c-sec
    #2-BFP: 3.17.14~EDD: 11.28.14~ It's A Girl!~Shooting for a VBAC
                        Image and video hosting by TinyPic image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagenooniesgal:
    Have you tried talking back in baby talk?  That might freak her out and make her realize she is a tad bit coo coo for cocoa puffs.

LOL! I haven't thought of that yet! That would be funny. But then it would suck if she liked it and kept on doing it. 

Yeah, it's really weird. I cringe when I see her number on the caller ID. I actually let it go to voice mail most of the time and then email her back just so I don't have to talk to her. Embarrassed

• My SIL talks in baby talk all the time.  It's so strange to hear a 30 year old women talking in baby talk.  My husband's family makes fun of her for it and she gets mad but still talks like a baby.  I don't get it!
  • Ugh. So obnoxious. Sorry you have to hear it.
  • I cannot stand it when my MIL talks to my 14 month old DD in babytalk, let alone an adult to an adult.
  • wow......just wow
  • lol... It would drive me crazy too.

I have a male friend who is 40 and talks baby talk to my belly every time he sees me..... wierd!

• MIL does this too - all the time.  I love her to death, but this is the one thing that really annoys me about her.  I hear her doing it to my DS and it really gets to me.  I don't want him growing up speaking like that.  I'm very proud of my proper English, and I want DS to grow up knowing how to speak properly.  I wouldn't mind so much (I know it's common, and in small amounts I'd have no problem), but when I return to work, she'll be watching him, so he'll be hearing baby talk all day. I worry that it'll impede his speech and he won't be able to pronounce a lot of his consonants.  

I might need to have DH talk to her before we start leaving DS with her.  I doubt she'll be able to break the habit though - she's been doing it ever since I've known her, whether there are babies around or not. I'll probably just have to be vigilant at home so he hears the proper way to talk. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I'm a speech therapist, and one thing I have heard over and over is to NOT use baby talk. It can definitely affect a child's speech production. I am going to be really adamant about no baby talk around my son. It drives me crazy when I'm out in public and hear adults talking like that. I'd suggest dealing with the baby talking now, especially if your MIL will be keeping your baby every day. Hope this is helpful.
  • I'm a speech therapist, and one thing I have heard over and over is to NOT use baby talk. It can definitely affect a child's speech production. I am going to be really adamant about no baby talk around my son. It drives me crazy when I'm out in public and hear adults talking like that. I'd suggest dealing with the baby talking now, especially if your MIL will be keeping your baby every day. Hope this is helpful.

I heard this over and over in all my undergrad child development classes.

• Yuck. That's just annoying!

My EX MIL used to talk baby talk to me...every time she'd call, she'd say "Hewwo Nowie! It's your favowite mommie in law!" I wanted to pull my hair out every time she'd talk to me. She eventually got the whole family into it and started introducing me to people as Nowie. I would just have to smile and when she wasn't looking, say, "Actually, it's Natalie", because my EXMIL got her feelings hurt really easily.(and I was waaay to nice to her, but that's another story:) Bleh

I'm really glad that my new MIL knows how to speak proper English, and she will teach my baby girl how to pronounce all her consonants and vowels!

• my MIL is a Kindergarted teacher and she ALWAYS talks to me in baby talk.

I have been pretty nice about it so far but sometimes I just want to scream at her "I am 23 and have a child of my own you can talk to me like an adult. Just because I married your child doesnt mean I am a child'

Ahhh sorry I just needed to vent. I was trying to vent to Dh about this yesterday but he is so used to it its no biggie to him.

Ugh I hope one day they get it lol

• My mother STILL talks to me like that...and I'm 25 flippin years old!! I don't even answer the phone anymore, just text her back afterwards. Like nails on a chalkboard.  I feel your pain! I'm dreading taking the LO around her, thank god she lives 20 hours away now! ( as horrible as that may sound)
  • i HATE that!! I have a co-worker that also does this, she's 30+yrs old and she talks baby talk to EVERYONE, when her husband calls...when her kids call...when she talks to our boss. And no, I do not talk to her, she annoys me too much, so much in fact that I have no desire to ever talk to her unless I absolutely have to about work related issues.

Try to keep your sanity, I know it does suck.

• I like how you put co-irker!  LOL  it definitely would irk me to be around someone like that all the time!  Bad enough in the grocery store, occasionally at church, etc.  mostly total strangers.... I even get really bugged when the young girls i know, who can talk perfectly normally, come around my kids and suddenly use these super high-pitched squeeky voices to talk to them!  drives me nuts!  I tell them that my kids are kids, not puppies, and i want them to learn to speak properly so they need good examples from the older kids!
  • How annoying! Tell her to stop, ask her if she's 2 years old, lol.
  • I work with someone like this too. I understand it is beyond irritating...She just recently had a baby so I don't know why she talks to her co-workers in baby talk. Maybe its routine but it goes on for the entire conversation. yikes! Earphones and pandora radio does the trick though. 
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • I am only eight weeks, I work in a nursing home and although im not showing yet like 5 of my residnets have come up and rubbed my belly and talked baby talk about 2"away from my non existant baby bump.... i just dont get it!
  • Gross! I worked with a girl who did this. I wanted to scream "I am not your boyfriend. I am not your mom. I do not find you remotely cute or charming. STFU!!!!"

Luckily she quit before it got to that point. We still mimick her to this day.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • I HATE baby talk! DS is 8 weeks old, and for the last 9 weeks my MIL has done this... in a falsetto voice that makes me cringe. Now don't get me wrong, I soften & "sweeten" my voice when I'm talking to him, but I don't change the way words are pronounced, or change my grammar.

"Did him gets daa heecumps?" Seriously?!! WTF is a heecump?

The one that bothers me most is "zoo gieg" when he sneezes. I assume this is supposed to be a form of gesundheit... Luckily he's not to the stage of forming words yet, and also she only keeps him while I work Sat & Sun. Basically, I'm going to have to make sure he hears enough proper speech to counter her gibberish.

I'm ready to climb the walls, too, buddy.

<a href="http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p2/thcity/Mobile Uploads/?action=view
  • WTF???  LOL u ppl r mad about baby talk?  How about some English?  If you're going to abbreviate everything beyond the point of comprehension then it might as well be baby talk.  You cannot be upset about baby talk if you're not going to take the time to type an extra letter or two, both are signs of laziness and "cuteness", so get over yourself.

The above does not apply to those who typed a coherent, grammatically correct and properly spelled complaint or comment.

• imageashlea11212009:
    I'm a speech therapist, and one thing I have heard over and over is to NOT use baby talk. It can definitely affect a child's speech production. I am going to be really adamant about no baby talk around my son. It drives me crazy when I'm out in public and hear adults talking like that. I'd suggest dealing with the baby talking now, especially if your MIL will be keeping your baby every day. Hope this is helpful.

I've heard the opposite, that it helps (small) babies learn to communicate. Maybe that's a different kind of baby talk, though, like the cooing.

However, I hate it too. I feel for you that would drive me crazy. That's just plain weird. Why don't you ask recommend a good speech therapist to her, who could help her with her "Ls".

• Baby talk to another adult is just plain WEIRD.

I have had people talk baby talk with my son and I tell them that's its hard enough he has to learn a whole language without having to learn a bunch of extra words that don't mean anything.  Usually they understand.

lol.. I love how you called her the "co-irker"  lol

• imagerocket2japan:

imageashlea11212009:
    I'm a speech therapist, and one thing I have heard over and over is to NOT use baby talk. It can definitely affect a child's speech production. I am going to be really adamant about no baby talk around my son. It drives me crazy when I'm out in public and hear adults talking like that. I'd suggest dealing with the baby talking now, especially if your MIL will be keeping your baby every day. Hope this is helpful.

I've heard the opposite, that it helps (small) babies learn to communicate. Maybe that's a different kind of baby talk, though, like the cooing.

Yep, I've read that, too.

fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Multiple things from someone jumping in from another board (older and hopefully wiser since I've "been there, done that" for two generations and two decades work experience...)

For the co-irker, if you don't have a relationship where you can simply sit down with her and tell her how much it bothers you, talk to your supervisor and have the discussion managerially.  Your manager talks to her manager who talks to her and lets her know that people are bothered (assuming you're not the only one she does this to.)  It's a business relationship and it affects business relationships.

For the sister-in-law...is there no way you can talk directly to her instead of venting to your husband?  "Listen, SIL, I love you, but the baby talk kills me.  Please don't do it."  Lather, rinse, repeat.  Especially if it's the only thing that bothers you about her.  If not, choose your battles - deal with the worst and ignore the least.

For the baby-talkers...yes, there are two kinds of "baby talk" that are being addressed.  The negative baby-talk is the type that people use to their puppies and babies "Wook at the widdle iddy-bitty babbikins.  Oh, such a koootie-patootie-ooky-booky-baby-waby."  (Okay, so that's exceptionally bad but you get it.  lol.  No words and nothing that can be related to anything else.)  Or, in the case of the OP..."Hi Mawissa."  Bad baby talk.  Mispronunciation will lead to the child to mispronouncing or using replacement words, and not developing proper enunciation.

"Good babytalk" which the speech pathologist and ECE student reference is simply raising the pitch in the voice to be attractive to the baby's hearing (e.g. "cooing").  In a pitch one or two levels above normal, get down to her level and say "Hi, sweetie.  I'm your Aunt (or okay, you can stretch it to "Auntie" for baby) Melissa."  (See?  Real words, said in a manner a baby can appreciate.)  She learns that you are Melissa, she learns how to say Melissa, won't be challenged to develop her "L" sounds as she gets older.  When she's still young she will be saying Mawissa or otherwise shorten and mispronounce the name, but as she gets older and develops, she'll learn how to wrap her tongue and mouth to the proper sounds.  She'll be learning real words and developing her vocabulary, adjusting it to those around her. It's the pitch of the voice that attracts her aurally, not the words themselves.  You can use regular words, she'll pick them up -- she'll even work out the meaning depending on how you use them.

Shoot, by three years old, my GD (who was living with us) was playing games to pronounce onomotapoeia, gastroendoduodenoscopy and supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.  She could say them by repeating them after Grandpa (Grampoo, by the way...and I'm Grammoo - lol.  Nicknames she gave us as her special thing.) and by no means is she exceptional to be able to do it.  She's seven now and she'll jokingly say "I wuv you Grampoo" when she's being super silly but she's just as capable of being serious, cuddling and saying "I love you Grandpa."  It's a matter of how you play with them.

Photobucket
  • More importantly, why is this a Hot Topic when it was originally posted in May???

Photobucket
  • That's so irritating. I feel your pain. I work with someone that constantly touches my baby bump and talks baby talk to my belly (even when we go out to lunch in public!). I hope you figure out how to make it stop (if you do let me know!). I've tried to tell her to quit and she laughed and still does it.
    Soon-to-be Mom of 2
  • Haha this is too funny! I find baby talk weird. One time I was at the drive thru with a friend and she ordered chicken nuggies and potato wedggies.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMrsBPO:
    More importantly, why is this a Hot Topic when it was originally posted in May???

Yes

imageimage

• I had one of those too... so annoying, but I think they mean well.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Seriously? They just...touch you? I feel like the more I read these posts, the more I feel like not telling anyone until they ask point-blank.
  • Just tell her how you feel about how she talks to you! That is the best way to handle this. It might hurt her feelings a little but she will get over it. I have dealt with this kinda thing all of my life with people saying my name wrong intentionally and making up stupid nicknames for me. I just flat out tell them "It's Mikhaila, not Mickey."  and they get the point.

,,,maybe I come off as a ***, but I don't care!

• Okay, my mother was always a stickler about using proper english and not sounding like an idiot when you speak so baby talk annoys me more than anything in the whole freakin world!!!
  • I suggest acting like you cannot understand her when she talks like that. "I'm sorry who is this, I can't understand you"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"