1st Trimester

Flu shot during pregnancy

I am 6 weeks into my pregnancy. Is it safe to get a flu shot when you are pregnant?

-

Sree

Re: Flu shot during pregnancy

• Hi there!

I got one with my first pregnancy and had no adverse reaction.  I'm having one next week, and I'll be a little over 12 weeks then.  Your OB will probably strongly recommend it.  I get one every year normally, but when I'm pregnant, I'll only get one from my OB.

• Talk to your doctor. There is A LOT of misinformation about the flu shot on the internet that you shouldn't listen to.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • This comes up once a day.

Yes, the shot is recommended for pregnant woman. Pregnant women are a high risk group. Pregnant women are more likely to have serious complications requiring hospitalization, and are more likely to die if they get the flu.

Or ask your doctor. They should probably have an opinion on this.

• Hey All

Thanks for you response. I did consult with my doctor but wanted to get a second opinion ... that's all. Please don't misunderstand, I do trust my doctor but it's just the "new motherly protection" mode that's wanting me to re-confirm/double check everything that I hear.

• Yes they are and are in fact highly recommended for pg women.  However, make sure you get the mercury-free version (which shouldn't be hard to find.)  Chances are, your OB office will have it and can give it to you.

imageimageimage

M/c #1 - 10/30/07 - 5w3d, DS1 - born at 36w, M/c#2 - 12/7/09 - 5w, M/c #3 - 1/13/10 - 4w6d, 
    M/c #4 - 3/16/10 - 5w1d, DS2 -  born via VBAC at 40w3d, M/c#5 - 11/5/12 - 7w2d
    BFP #8 - 5/5/13- Looks like a sticky one! DS3 - born via epi-free VBAC at 39w1d

• There is so much confusing information on the internet about this. Especially about if it is OK to get in the first trimester. I am 7 weeks and I asked my doctor and she said they recommend women get it during pregnancy, but she wasn't insistent that I get it now. I think I will wait till the 2nd trimester, just to be safe. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I got mine at 10 weeks because my midwife recommended it.
    Photobucket
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Natural mc @ 8 wks in Nov. '07, dd born 4/23/11, natural mc @ 6 wks in April '12, bfp 6/11/12...praying for a sticky baby!
  • My doctor strongly recommended it but not until week 12. (I've also noticed this clinic's timing on pretty much everything is different from what I read on here. But as long as everything happens, I'm trying not to care.)

I've never had one before (no flu since 1990) but figure I'll do it this time. I also work with the state Dept of Health and they also just put out information on why pregnant women particularly need them.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagetune2dev:

Hey All

Thanks for you response. I did consult with my doctor but wanted to get a second opinion ... that's all. Please don't misunderstand, I do trust my doctor but it's just the "new motherly protection" mode that's wanting me to re-confirm/double check everything that I hear. Stick out tongue

you wanted a "second opinion" so you came to an internet message board?

Huh? 

• I got mine at 8 weeks. The doctor gave me the preservative-free kind.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yes. Your ob should offer it to you at your upcoming appointment. I got mine today.
  • My OB recommends a flu shot during pregnancy.  I got the preservative-free one today at my Doc visit.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thank you so much for all your feedback. It has been very helpful. In addition to this, I had also contacted the nurses of some of the other well known ob/gyn in my area and this is what they all had to say

• Get your flu shot asap
    • It is safe to get a flu shot at any time of your pregnancy

I highly recommend that if you are pregnant please get the vaccine from your provider since they will be preservative free flu shot.

Some useful websites on flu shots and pregnancy
    ------------------------------------------------
    https://www.babycenter.com/404_is-it-safe-to-get-a-flu-shot-when-im-pregnant_2488.bc

https://blogs.knoxnews.com/nelson/2009/02/mercuryfree-flu-shots.html

So I have decided to get mine tomorrow Big Smile from my provider.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"